Mariner vs Explorer

irenedee

One of the nicest things about our recent Mariner experience was that it was so easy to find a quiet spot. The ship was sailing with about 640 on board, so she wasn’t full but even so, we loved the peacefulness of it. I know Explorer is larger and our sailing seems to be sold out but I hope I can still find a quite spot

Favourite spots:

Horizon or Explorer lounge in the daytime, light jazz music playing, attentive staff and the best views

The cozy outdoor seating off the Horizon lounge, curled up in a soft blanket (it was Alaska) watching porpoises chasing the ship

What’s your favourite

One of the nicest things about our recent Mariner experience was that it was so easy to find a quiet spot. The ship was sailing with about 640 on board, so she wasn’t full but even so, we loved the peacefulness of it. I know Explorer is larger and our sailing seems to be sold out but I hope I can still find a quite spot

Favourite spots:

Horizon or Explorer lounge in the daytime, light jazz music playing, attentive staff and the best views

The cozy outdoor seating off the Horizon lounge, curled up in a soft blanket (it was Alaska) watching porpoises chasing the ship

B

What’s your favourite

We also like the horizon lounge and outside area but no horizon lounge on Explorer. In my opinion ....a big mistake.

An additional difference between the ships - Explorer continues to have issues with the balcony doors wind noise. We just got off today and our door had to be "repaired" twice. The second time seemed to correct the problem but it was only one night until we got off. Once repaired we would sadly not even open the door for fear of disturbing the repair which sort of negates the reason for having and paying for a balcony. I do not know how many experienced issues but know there were three in the immediate vicinity of our cabin - the repair mechanic was busy. Sometimes the noise was just background, sometimes louder and just before the second repair it was as if a pack of fighting, howling cats was outside the door. Otherwise we were very pleased with the ship. Unfortunately I think we have another Explorer cruise booked so I'll have to check to see if there are reports of door noise in whatever cabin we have booked. I'm surprised this is still happening.

John

John, thank you for your input and the update on Explorer whistling doors. We are also surprised that this still exists - more than 2 years after the issue was discovered. We have stayed in 4 different suite categories and the only time we have the whistling issue was in Grand Suite 1200 so there are suites that are whistle-free (for lack of a better word). Hope that people will continue to post on "SuiteGuru" to assist passengers in selecting the right suite on Explorer.

We had no whistling doors in 1200 on Explorer during our July/August cruise this year, so at least at that point there were no issues.

The ship was not having whistling door problems when we were in the Med. (right after the ship was launched) but the sliding glass doors in the bedroom did whistle on the transatlantic leg of the cruise.

Were you able to hear noise from the Observation Lounge? We could hear it too clearly and were told that more insulation was going to be put in between the decks when the ship reached Miami.

We did hear noise from the Observation Lounge below. It didn't bother me, but we could hear what sounded like trivia in the afternoon, and then we heard music in the evening until about 11pm. It wasn't bothersome, but we could at times hear the specific song that was being played downstairs. That being said, we loved the suite and have booked it again!

Thank you for your response. The noise from the Observation Lounge did bother us which is why we booked an aft Master Suite on our next Explorer cruise. We tend to book different suites on Explorer - our next cruise is in a Seven Seas suite which will be followed by another Grand Suite (not 1200 or 1201).

• 1 year later...

No contest in my opinion, the Mariner wins hands down. Why?

Great public spaces, excellent observation lounge with outside front facing areas, well designed restaurants, prime 7 and chartreuse a reasonable size, PH suites brilliant on size, space , balcony although the closet is smaller. Bathrooms with a great shower and not space lost on a tub,(will not book a tub suite ).700pax a great size, very stable. Lots of seating areas Io open deck by la veranda, along by the puzzle (where they used to put the art for sale ! Ugh)

Explorer more pax, more restaurants, but wasted space down by spa &pacific rim, wasted area of the infinity pool at back, no outside front observation area, very poorly designed theatre with useless upstairs area, main part of compass rose very noisy, harsh lighting in here.

In fact Explorer is my 4th favourite ship after Mariner/ Voyager then Navigator. Not yet been on the Splendour. But if the itinerary is right will sail any 

And, in my opinion, there is no contest - Explorer wins hands down.  

Agree that the PH suites are the best in the fleet but the lower category suites are tiny (they seem smaller than they really are for some reason - with small closets.

In our opinion, the lower suites (not the ones that were meant for single passengers) on Explorer is heads above any other Regent ship.  Tons of space - large bathroom, etc.  Agree the the PH are not so great but the Splendor, Grand and Master suites are amazing.  These suites are nice on Mariner but look and feel dated when compared to Explorer.

Agree that the theater has site line issues.  However, in my opinion, this has been blown out of proportion.  The balcony and a few seats on the lower level have the site line problems but we have never had a problem getting a good seat in the theater.  

The gym on Explorer is lovely - larger than other Regent ships.  I do not find the infinity pool to be a waste of space.  It is by the spa and people enjoy taking a dip after a treatment.  

Besides for the extra restaurant on Explorer (Pacific Rim), we also love deck 5.  This is where Destination Services, Reception, the Business Center (computer room), the Cruise Consultant's Office and the General Manager's office resides.  The sitting area is likely twice the size of Mariner's and is great to people watch.  There are tables by some of the sofas/chairs and you are near the computer room so the signal is great and you can sit on your device in the lovely, bright, open area.

Everyone has different tastes and Explorer is "almost" perfection for us.  Splendor is almost the same as Explorer (we will see for ourselves next Saturday).