Cuban Fusion (Cuban confusion)

jimphil

16 hours ago, can-cruise said:

Hi Southendweather

Thanks for your reply. Brits are fine with us. We originally hailed from that part of the world.

We were on Discovery 2 last year in December and really enjoyed our cruise. As for the

weather, we have just had our first snow for the year, so this looks good to us.

I was afraid that the Ship tours might be booked up but we will check them out as soon as

we board. If it is not possible to book with them we will do something independently.

Travel safe and enjoy your cruise.

What do you want from a classic car tour?  If it's a several hour tour to take in a lot of the sights then my observation isn't really relevant - but when we last went, lots of people were doing just a short tour - perhaps an hour for the sheer experience of travelling in a classic car, getting selfies in the car etc.  The tour would of course be limited.  But if that was what anyone was looking for, we heard of people getting a short trip in a classic car for a ridiculously cheap price on the last afternoon.  Presumably the car drivers were keen to pick up some last minute custom. I realise this doesn't compare with a half or full day tour with commentary bth it's easy to walk Havana Old Town and the joy for us was just wandering around, having coffee/cocktail somewhere along the way.  But as  say, it all depends on what you are looking for but there was no shortage of classic cars available for hire.  

In answer to the money question - I don't know if things have changed, but we had to change money on arrival at the port exchange booths.  There was a long queue!   I think you can also get money at banks - also saw lots of queues - and, I think some hotels  but beware of the rates!  But please see my post (#9) about the problem we had changing Cuban money back at the end of our stay.  As I said there, check out the duty frees beforehand as it could be a lot easier and more cost effective to use surplus currency to buy Rum, liqueurs or souvenirs than get an appalling exchange rate or nothing at all if you have less than the equivalent of £20 sterling to change back in which case you get nothing.  

Thanks kruzseeka

I checked out your previous post and will keep your advise in mind. I will see what

tours that the ship has to offer but it is good to know that it is possible to do your

own thing. Really looking forward to Havana as we have not been there before.

Only 3 more days before we cruise.

We did that too on our first visit and it's definitely an option.  We tried to divi up between us in $ afterwards to reflect everyone's contributions.  But when I saw the price of the duty frees we determined next time to take advantage of the bargains there rather than accept a rubbish buy back rate.  Of course it depends to a large extent as to how much you have left over. 

Have a wonderful time can-cruise - Havana is one of our all time favourite destinations and we'd love to go again sometime.  I'd be interested to hear your opinions when you return - especially re the other ports on the itinerary. 

Does anyone have the dedicated phone number to use the voucher code  for the Cuban Fusion compensation as part of a cruise already booked. Becoming increasingly frustrated with Stockton Call Centre, as nothing has arrived from them. Went into local Tui shop, where the very helpful staff managed to give us a code, but no number to ring. But, had to ring Stockton to use it. They are adamant that it can't be used as part of a cruise already booked. Will not be booking another cruise on the ship after all the hassle

You can use the voucher as long as the cruise hasn't already been paid for in full, i had just paid a deposit for a cruise next Oct and they knocked the £200 off, i received my voucher by email and there was a number to ring simply for that purpose ref vouchers i do remember it was the call centre in Wales, hope you get it sorted.

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Papillon1 said:

Problem solved, we never got to Havana, we were told the port was closed and so had to spend an extra day at sea.

When was this? Have you been offered compensation - I hope you have as this port is the main reason people would book this cruise?

54 minutes ago, Ilovemygarden said:

When was this? Have you been offered compensation - I hope you have as this port is the main reason people would book this cruise?

Looks like Marella are having a nightmare with Cuban Fusion, I think we were the only ones to have the full day and a half at Havana the first week of December.

Looking at: https://www.cruisemapper.com/

This is what Discover 2 has done this week:

27/12 Roatan Island (Honduras)
28/12 Santa Tomas de Castilla (Guatemala)
29/12 Belize City

I'm sure that was never on the original itinerary, please correct me if I've got that wrong.

Papillon1 must have been the week before Christmas.

Keith (Southend)

13 minutes ago, Southendweather said:

Looks like Marella are having a nightmare with Cuban Fusion, I think we were the only ones to have the full day and a half at Havana the first week of December.

29/12 Belize City

I'm sure that was never on the original itinerary, please correct me if I've got that wrong.

Keith (Southend)

Yes - that would be correct if he followed Cuban Fusian with Exotic Explorer which is the itinerary I have booked for in March.  Next Cuban Fusion leaves on 1st January so we’ll wait with bated breath🤔   Hope you enjoyed Havana.

4 hours ago, Ilovemygarden said:

There was severe flooding in Cuba that day and the port was closed.  Nothing to do with TUI. (BBC News website had videos)

14 hours ago, Ilovemygarden said:

We were on the ship that left on the 11th of December 2018 so should have been in Havana last week about the 21st I think, it seem a bit funny at the time that we had all the fuss about the stop over time changing and the next we never even got to port.

NO COMPENSATION OFFERED

Edited by Papillon1

13 hours ago, Southendweather said:

29/12 Belize City

Keith (Southend)

Yes you are correct I think we should have docked about the 21st of December (last week)

9 hours ago, Sheila49 said:

There was severe flooding in Cuba that day and the port was closed.  Nothing to do with TUI. (BBC News website had videos)

You are correct and we were told the same, my comment is not directed at TUI more that there was so much fuss about the time change of the stop over but in our case we never even got there.

1 hour ago, Papillon1 said:

You are correct and we were told the same, my comment is not directed at TUI more that there was so much fuss about the time change of the stop over but in our case we never even got there.

I can see now this was totally out with Tui’s control. How was the rest of the cruise? I take it the weather wasn’t too calm!

Have to disagree imo Marella trips are good value and can only be beaten if you can get at least 6 people together and go by taxi/minibus but some of the trips are impossible to do yourself I.e. The boat or train journey up the Panama Canal and the St Kitts Railway as usually all tickets sold to the cruise lines , Chitsinista (sorry about spelling) from Cozumel  All these trips could be late back and the ship will wait We were once an hour late back from Panama City and 3/4 hr late back from Chitsinista and that was to the mainland. From Cozumel you have to sail to and from the Mainland as well

It is much easier to do your own tours in the Eastern Caribbean  although we have done it ourselves in Cartagena Roatan and Limon but have been a couple of times before

1 hour ago, Vitalsign said:

Have to disagree imo Marella trips are good value and can only be beaten if you can get at least 6 people together and go by taxi/minibus but some of the trips are impossible to do yourself I.e. The boat or train journey up the Panama Canal and the St Kitts Railway as usually all tickets sold to the cruise lines , Chitsinista (sorry about spelling) from Cozumel  All these trips could be late back and the ship will wait We were once an hour late back from Panama City and 3/4 hr late back from Chitsinista and that was to the mainland. From Cozumel you have to sail to and from the Mainland as well

It is much easier to do your own tours in the Eastern Caribbean  although we have done it ourselves in Cartagena Roatan and Limon but have been a couple of times before

Looks like you have had better luck than us with the tours, try hiring a car 8 hours of doing your own thing for 8 or 10 hours sometimes and all for about £60 all in and make your way to all the best places that would cost you about the same price each off the boat.

Depends where you are Papillon. Returning from a ship trip to Rodney Bay St Lucia the other carriageway was gridlocked for miles. Roads on Caribbean Islands can be white knuckle rides with the professional drivers facing challenges. Many many years ago i returned to a hire car (mini moke) in Barbados to find a local sitting in it waiting to go wherever we were! Parking can be an issue. On one ships excursion one of the vehicles had starting problems but the ship would have waited.  It is all down to stress v money. Some would rather pay the price then sit back and enjoy rather than get involved in hiring, insuring, finding taxis ensuring return pick ups, knowing where to go,  and where not to, how much you should pay etc etc getting caught in a tropical shower and washed out roads clock watching etc. Trying a 'DIY' 10 minute stroll from ship to 'non port' shops in St Lucia still encountered taxi drivers telling me it was too far and dangerous!  not sure i would like to rely on these rip off merchants in every port... 

All very good points and most we have to think about when hiring, always go for a big firm Alamo as an example, and we have hired in almost every place we have been. Did do some tours on our last cruise last week hence the comment they were not value for money, an could be mis-leading, based on what the ship tells you, you are getting and the tour itself being very different.

As an example “the bus will stop at the oldest church on the island” this being listed as one of the 3 features of the trip. Yes it did stop in the car park and did not even open the doors so you could get out and have a look, 82 seconds later we were off. Not what I was paying for.

You say it said the bus would stop and it did It didn't say it would stop and give you the opportunity to look around When reading info for excursions don't read into what isn't said If you are getting the opportunity to look around somewhere it will say so So never presume sometimes these trips try to pack in a lot of sights but sometimes only for viewing from the coach