1st Time Princess cruiser Dining Concern

Montana

Going on my 1st Princess Cruise December 1. Typically cruise Celebrity, but wanted to go to Mexico from West Coast. Just had a friend return from Emerald Princess and reported that dining was not up to par and they ate in specialty dining most nights. We have Club Class dining but are concerned about food also. Recently we had a very poor experience with dining on Royal Caribbean Explorer. Looking for some reassurance that we will find an acceptable level of dining without resorting to specialty dining every night. Help us to feel better veteran Princess Cruisers.

Our experience in Club Class has been very positive. Last year for holiday gifts to each other on a Mexican Riviera cruise on the Grand, we treated ourselves to a guaranteed mini-suite. We were upgraded to Club Class by the savvy Princess Upgrade Elf’s. And wouldn’t you know it, the week after our cruise, my DW requested I change our future reservations to Club Class cabins. We simply loved the dining in Club Class. We will be back on the Grand in December!

Speaking only as vegetarians who eat fish, the MDR food, in our subjective opinion, was excellent and the service was outstanding.

RB

Food is so hard to judge, person to person. I don't sail Celebrity anymore, I never cared for their food options at all. Tried them once because everyone raved so much better than Princess, nope. Gave them a 2nd and 3rd try to see if I would like it, didn't happen.

To me, food I've had on my Princess cruises is better, to someone else it isn't. My opinion, their opinion, in reality there is no right or wrong. You have to go by what you like, not what someone else tells you they think you will like.

Years ago I sailed with NCL, I won't now because I don't want all those food choices. I sail alone and want traditional dining, it is what I like, others don't, fine their choice, not mine.

It is all about what you want to do, don't be over swayed by others opinion on food, good or bad. Right now I sail with Princess the most, I have sailed with RCI, too and I've never not had good food choices with both cruise lines. I've sailed with Carnival, Celebrity, Costa and NCL, sailing for itinerary Princess suits me best.

I don't have to purchase the food at the store and put it all away later. I don't have to cook the food nor do I have to clean up the mess. I find the food to be just fine - although I wouldn't count on being able to order a decent steak in MDR. If you want steak go to Crown Grill. We have had meals that were better than others but haven't had any bad meals.

McDonald's fits that description. The cruise lines could save alot of money if not prepping your food and cleaning was the main goal. Your point on the steak is well taken. New York steak is on the always available for Celebrity and Royal Carib, some debate on the quality but it is offered.