LIDO deck - etymology?

VintageCCG

I realize that cruiseship culture has its own peculiarities and phraseology, and that Cunard mindfully adds its own unique quaintly-outdated parlance ("Friends of Dorothy" instead of LGBT in the year 2018??), but can somebody kindly explain why the King's Court buffet is constantly called the Lido?

As I understand it, 'lido' is an antiquated term for an open deck surrounding an outdoor swimming pool. The Google tells me that it is derived from "Lido di Venezia" an island in Venice with a long beach that was the site in 1857 of the first modern-day beach resort.

I'm not clear on how that describes an indoor buffet, unless buffets were once predominantly found in outdoor lido decks.

I mean, I get what folks are seeking to describe, I'm just not sure WHY they use that word.

Also, the pronunciation:

I have heard many folks pronounce the word as "laɪ.dəʊ" (rhymes with eye-dough) but surely the more correct pronunciation would be " liː.dəʊ " (rhymes with Speedo).

Could some sage soul kindly educate this provincial Canadian?

Cheers!

PJ

Edited by Host Hattie

The term "lido" originated with the Navigazione Generale Italiana liner ROMA of 1926 which was the first ocean liner with a permanent outdoor swimming pool. And yes it was derived from the famous beach resort Lido Venezia.

The first cruise ship with what we would recognize as a "lido restaurant' was Holland America Line's 1959 ROTTERDAM which was refitted in 1971 with a Lido Restaurant adjoining the outdoor pool. As almost all of these casual buffet style restaurants are usually sited near or around the outdoor pools and "lidos" (sun decks), they are generically called "lido restaurants". Of course QM2 has to be different and has her "lido restaurant" nowhere near the outdoor pools. And is called "King's Court" which, dare I say, sounds like some cheap strip mall buffet restaurant on the outskirts of an American city. "Lido" being Italian is rather more classy and evocative, no?

Edited by kohl57

I realize that cruiseship culture has its own peculiarities and phraseology, and that Cunard mindfully adds its own unique quaintly-outdated parlance ("Friends of Dorothy" instead of LGBT for in the year 2018??),

Actually, the term was in wide use for many years and not confined to Cunard. I noticed a couple of weeks ago that they now call it the "LGBT Get Together" - but most attendees still called it the FOD.

...and for years, I also considered "the Lido Deck" the most cruisey term ever.

Edited by Host Hattie

BTW, I am always amused when I see the mural behind the QUEEN ELIZABETH's amidships pool (and lido) which depicts the aforementioned pioneering outdoor pool and lido aboard the NGI liner ROMA. Not only was this copied from an original NGI brochure but some cheeky what's it has retouched the black/white/black funnel of the Italian liner red to suggest it's a... Cunarder!