Recliners not accepted any more

KruisingKaren

My husband sleeps in a recliner due back problems. Used to be one could be rented through Scootaround or Special Needs At Sea and delivered to your stateroom. HAL no longer allows this.

Sometimes when we travel he brings his zero gravity lounge chair. Do you think they would allow that on board?

Karen

P.S. I know I could call the Access and Compliance department but I'm waiting for a reply from them regarding a wedge for the bed and don't want to bombard them. Thanks for giving your opinion!

Did whomever told you they would not allowit, give you a 'good' reason why?

I have to think if the No came from a person in a responsible position, the answer is likely NO.

Were you inquiring for a very lengthy cruise?

I do NOT know if HAL allows a recliner for medical reasons or not, but what I do understand that for long cruises, like the Grands and WC - they stopped shipping recliners as part of the "no additional charge" luggage shipping program for early reservations. If you have not already, I certainly would check with your specifics before assuming some passenger related information is correct.

Good advice to confirm. Passenger to passenger sharing of info carries much risk.

What t would be the 'good' reason HAL would chang e their rule and stop permitting the recliners ?

Edited by sail7seas

The common anti-gravity recliners I am very familiar with in no way resemble what most would expect to see for a recliner. In terms of the ship, I would have no problem brining an anti-gravity recliner - many suitcases take far less space than a folded anti-gravity recliner. When folded mine is approximately 5" deep, "30 high and 24" wide.

Now for airlines - too wide for overhead bins, but if properly contained - it should not be a problem as checked baggage - although it could be damaged bouncing around. For travel purposes, I would tie it shut (unable to unfold), and put it in some sort of cloth bag - perhaps hand stitched. If flying is involved, I would check with my airline about how to best pack it and minimize the baggage fee.

Thanks everyone. I contacted the Access and Compliance department via email.

Here's what I sent:

"Hello, my husband prefers to sleep in a recliner due to back problems. It looks like Special Needs At Sea and Scootaround both rent recliners for cruise passengers. I wanted to check to see if it is possible for a recliner to fit in stateroom 8097 on the Zuiderdam. Appreciate any information you can send me"

Here's the reply "We do not allow recliners on board any of our vessels. We can provide a wedge to elevate the head of the mattress and additional pillow for more support.".

I emailed back asking if I needed to arrange for the wedge ahead of time and did not receive a reply. He's tried wedges before and they really don't help, so I'm not too upset that I didn't hear back.

He's miserable trying to sleep in a regular bed. Maybe we could do something with the little couch in the room. I think it folds down (?)

Sail7seas - thanks for asking...it's a 10 day cruise, but I didn't specify that when I asked my question.

I'm wondering if the word "prefers" had anything to do with the response you got. It is likely too late to totally retract it, but if he has a medical need, for sleeping upright, that may queue a different answer.

Hoping you find a good solution for your DH.

Karen, I'm not sure when you are traveling or how long but here is some of my past experiences. I shipped an unopened wedge that was adjustable to differing positions in a moving box with other cruise items. It was a 99$ investment and I did not bring it back home (passed it on to a staff member and they were very thankful). This type of wedge combined with the HAL ones and pillows may be able to create chair like position on the bed. I plan on doing the same for my next long cruise. Also, if you can get something from his Dr. in writing that may go a long way. Companies have too try and accommodate handicaps and medical needs. Hope this can help you.

Karen, I'm not sure when you are traveling or how long but here is some of my past experiences. I shipped an unopened wedge that was adjustable to differing positions in a moving box with other cruise items. It was a 99$ investment and I did not bring it back home (passed it on to a staff member and they were very thankful). This type of wedge combined with the HAL ones and pillows may be able to create chair like position on the bed. I plan on doing the same for my next long cruise. Also, if you can get something from his Dr. in writing that may go a long way. Companies have too try and accommodate handicaps and medical needs. Hope this can help you.

Thank you. Can you tell me how you went about shipping something to the cruise line? It sure would be easier than us lugging it around.