Bliss Pacific Coastal and Mexican Riviera cruises 9/30-10/13/2018 Trip Report

rockfsh

We arrived at San Pedro/LA in the rain. The area holding our luggage was full and half the size of a football field and I mean soccer. We should have hired a  porter since they have a separate line that moves faster through Customs.
After clearing Customs we exited the building and turned right  and walked to the taxi stand half a block away.
Our cab driver said that this was the first significant rain all year. He took us to the Long Beach Hyatt Regency next to the Convention Center where we had free early check in.
In a park near the Hyatt a tattoo fair was being rained out. "Too bad", I told Noreen, "I always wanted a tribal tattoo". "Go for it", she replied.

More on Long Beach including The Queen Mary next.

seasky2.jpg

crew.jpg

lbfair.jpg

lbhyatt.jpg

The RMS Queen Mary is an aging but still luminous vessel. In her heyday with a top speed of 30kts she could easily beat the Bliss in a trans Atlantic race. The wooden promenade deck crackles underfoot and her lifeboats are poorly maintained.
We took a water bus (fare $1) to the Queen Mary to dine at Sir Winston's. This on board restaurant is not ADA accessible requiring a climb of 2 flights of stairs. No problem for us as we trained for 2 weeks on the Bliss stairs.
There are 2 Hyatts in Long Beach and we were almost taken to the wrong one. The one we booked has a pedestrian overpass from the hotel to the Seaside Village and Water bus stop. (Also the Tattoo fair).

lbwaterbus.jpg

lblightH.jpg

lbsccon.jpg

lbqm2.jpg

lbqm1.jpg

qmlife1.jpg

qmlife2.jpg

qmprom.jpg

qmring.jpg

After spending 2 nights in Long Beach, we headed home to Hawaii from Long Beach Airport. This airport is 20 minutes from the hotel and is more comfortable than LAX. We gave our grand daughter her gifts from Mexico. She took care of our cats, fish and plants while we were away. They all survived.

Next I'll wrap up this review.

nieta.jpg

nieta2.jpg

About us. We have been "us" for a long time now. Although we are no longer young, for me Noreen will always be that young woman I met and married in college. During that time she also worked as a computer operator for a construction company in Oakland. She recently retired as the head of IT for the local cable company. In law school, (Go Bears!), I also worked as the admin assistant for the city manager of Dublin California. I'm now a semi retired attorney.
This was the first time we've cruised in the Haven. It wont be the last. we are booked to cruise Alaska and Mexico again on the Bliss. (I get a year to practice my telenovela Spanish)

This report is a wrap unless there are further question/comments.
Hasta Luego Amigos.

noreenand ken.jpg

K_N.JPG

taswans.jpg

Edited by rockfsh

2 hours ago, rockfsh said:

What type of law do you practice V8? I'm a business litigator but started out in criminal defense.

I am a baby attorney - haven't even had my license a year yet! I basically do in-house counsel for healthcare organization in San Joaquin county. I was originally focused on being a public defender but I realized my passion for my clients wasn't enough for me to love the courtroom. I am happy where I am at (since its a federally qualified health center) since I am able to really use my skills and still help the same  people ❤️ 

2 hours ago, rockfsh said:

What type of law do you practice V8? I'm a business litigator but started out in criminal defense.

I am a baby attorney - haven't even had my license a year yet! I basically do in-house counsel for healthcare organization in San Joaquin county. I was originally focused on being a public defender but I realized my passion for my clients wasn't enough for me to love the courtroom. I am happy where I am at (since its a federally qualified health center) since I am able to really use my skills and still help the same  people ❤️ 

30 minutes ago, Victorious8 said:

Good for you. One of my profs said, "Do what you love and it wont seem like work".

On 10/20/2018 at 3:10 PM, rockfsh said:

About us. We have been "us" for a long time now. Although we are no longer young, for me Noreen will always be that young woman I met and married in college. During that time she also worked as a computer operator for a construction company in Oakland. She recently retired as the head of IT for the local cable company. In law school, (Go Bears!), I also worked as the admin assistant for the city manager of Dublin California. I'm now a semi retired attorney.
This was the first time we've cruised in the Haven. It wont be the last. we are booked to cruise Alaska and Mexico again on the Bliss. (I get a year to practice my telenovela Spanish)

This report is a wrap unless there are further question/comments.
Hasta Luego Amigos.

noreenand ken.jpg

K_N.JPG

taswans.jpg

It was a pleasure meeting you both! It was such a fun cruise!

Kerry 

On 10/9/2018 at 4:11 AM, Victorious8 said:

Interesting that The Local is the late night drinking venue... or at least that's what I can sort of make out on the Freestyles. Anyone else know from experience?

Yes! That was the place to be late nights, unless the parties were up on the pool deck.

kerry 

12 hours ago, Meekofigaro said:

It was a pleasure meeting you both! It was such a fun cruise!

Kerry 

You and Chad helped  make it a fun cruise with all the work you did on the Meet and Greet. Hope to see you both on a future cruise.