First TA, any tips or advice?

QueenOfZoom

Recently booked the Epic Barcelona to Orlando TA for early November. A TA has been a bucket list item of mine for over 20 years. The timing worked out well, love the itin and number of sea days...traveling solo on this one so treated myself to a balcony. Have been on Epic once, already reserved Priscilla, opted for the UBP and specialty dining...definitely want to do Le Bistro and Teppanyaki, not sure about the other two. Haven't been to Europe since the late 80s but got nice KLM flights IAD/AMS/BCN with only a 70 minute layover.

So looking for any tips/advice/etc for a first timer, especially in regards to packing and that darn long flight (I've become an anxious flyer over the years :o). Planning one checked suitcase and a carry on. I bought some stuff for the flight...neck pillow, sleep mask, ear plugs. Also planning to utilize onboard laundry midway thru the trip. I dress casually, don't pack makeup/jewelry/heels etc.

Looking forward to hearing from the experts :):ship:

You might want some Melatonin for the flight. Also, as many others have suggested, consider taking a small customized pharmacy. There is a doctor onboard the ship for big issues, but that time of year lends itself to what we call "Cruise Cough." You hear it all around the ship and all the great suggestions sometimes don't prevent it. I recall that Nyquil was totally sold out on our transpacific last fall. Unfortunately, sick folks board the ship and spread their illnesses from all around the world.

I did my first solo TA last year on the Epic it was THE best cruise. Go to the solo meetings at night we had so many solos they moved the meeting to Bliss lounge.

Roll your clothes and use a couple of packing cubes it helped me optimize my space. Bring some Downy Wrinkle Release I really used it this cruise as I packed mostly mix and match pieces and the stuff really works even on linen pants.

Definitely bring a small first aid bag I bring pepto, Imodium, cold meds, an antibiotic Z-pak, bandaids and Neosporin. I take this on every cruise.

I used Tylenol PM for my flight and I did wear compression socks as I tend to get muscle cramps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely take something to help you sleep. Also light reading if you don’t care for any of the movies, plus some earbuds of your own to use for the movies. I definitely agree preparing for any illnesses too. Go to you meet & greet & the solo gatherings, like cocod08 said. I loved our first TA on the Bliss! And it was wonderful having an extra hour to sleep coming back every other day or so! You will have a wonderful time!

Since you already have your flight, advice to fly a couple of days early to help with the jet lag is probably too late.

Make sure you can pay for your transport to the port. We are comfortable with taxis in Barcelona and carry Euros. If you are not comfortable, then book a car with a greeter in the terminal,,, which can be prepaid in dollars.

We have sailed on the Epic 6 times and enjoy the ship. Have a relaxing cruise!

To help with jet lag, slowly reset your body clock. Go to bed earlier every night and wake up earlier everyday. Take melatonin to assist. Sleep on the flight there. You will awaken ready to go! I live on the east coast and reset myself 3 hours forward.. I had no problems at all. It took about a week to reset 3 hours forward. Coming home, don’t sleep on the plane. You will reset naturally. Enjoy! Europe is gorgeous!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

For packing, choose clothes that all color coordinate. Stick with neutrals like black, beige, navy etc. Mix and match. Tops should go with a couple of different bottoms, and you can wear clothes more than once. Maybe just wear a pair of dark pants for all dinner and switch out the tops. No one cares nor will they remember what you've worn before.

Also, what I have is the top I wear to dinner or in the evening is the top I will wear for the next day. After touring or whatever, I will shower and then the clean change of clothes becomes the the outfit for the following day.

I can travel Europe for 3 weeks in a 21 inch roll aboard. Its not difficult.