TEXTING WHILE AT SEA IN THE EASTERN CARRIBEAN-Harmony of the Seas

Hi all, Next March we have a group of about 30-40 going on the Harmony of the Seas and we are trying to figure out how to stay in touch with each other while on the ship (seeing what everyone is doing). I figure the cell phones won't work at sea or maybe even in port, but does texting work? Does it matter what service you have? Thanks for the input. Chris

If any of you are planning getting the Internet package I would recommend keeping in touch with Whattsapp. Sending texts whilst at sea is very expensive. You would of course have to pay for internet but you could create a group for the cruise so everyone knows what’s going on.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi all, Next March we have a group of about 30-40 going on the Harmony of the Seas and we are trying to figure out how to stay in touch with each other while on the ship (seeing what everyone is doing). I figure the cell phones won't work at sea or maybe even in port, but does texting work? Does it matter what service you have? Thanks for the input. Chris

There are at least 3 options:

Cell phones will work at sea, but will cost $2.49 per minute for voice calls and $0.50 per text, if you use the ship's cell tower.

Get VOOM for each phone and use an internet texting app, like WhatsApp.

Use the Royal IQ App (if it is still supported on Harmony by the time you cruise) for $8 per phone for the entire cruise. Note that if this app is still supported, you may get free iMessage because of a hole currently in their firewall.

Use the Royal App (different than Royal IQ) which has a free chat feature. This app is currently not on Harmony, but may be by the time of your cruise.

Note that if this app is still supported, you may get free iMessage because of a hole currently in their firewall.

Have folks on Android get some WiFi based texting app and in conjunction with ^ this, everyone should be able to text each other without buying anything.