New to cruising

peglegmomma

I am not only a recent bka (below knee amputee) but will be on my first cruise in Jan 2019. Labadee, Jamaica, and Cozumel. What should I stay away from? What should I go experience? Keep in mind I am a "nothing will out me" kinda gal!! ;pclear.png?emoji-winktongue-1704Thanks ya'll !!

Well, I think you might have a little difficulty climbing Dunn's River Falls in Jamaica. But you could visit them and marvel at the risk, and maybe dangle a foot in the water...Don't think Cozumel will be a problem, and I haven't been to Labadee. EM

Are you going on crutches or mobility device? Regardless, Cozumel is fairly accessible. They do have wheelchair taxis available or are willing to put a small mobility scooter in a vehicle. Or if you dock downtown, you can just wander around town.

Since the ship docks in Labadee, you can go ashore. I think they have a trolley not too far from the dock if you are walking and they do have paths suitable for mobility devices.

Jamaica depends on where you are docking. If in Falmouth or Ocho Rios, you will be on the edge of town. We used mobility scooters, thus were able to see the town on our own.. Montego Bay has a shuttle bus into town which is wheelchair accessible. However, if in town on your own, stay within the recommended areas.

Do not know about any tours from any of the ports.

Have a wonderful cruise,

Betty

I would check to see if Kun Che Park is available to you in Cozumel. I am also bka and this past Feb had a cruise there via Carnival. You may have to walk up a short set of bus stairs but they will stow your chair/scooter under the bus. They also put me in one of their own wheelchairs and pushed me throughout the facility. (There is a fair bit of walking/standing but not unreasonable if you're so inclined.) Highlights of the full package are a Mayan ball game (pok-a-tok), cultural/cooking demos in a 'village' and it includes lunch with a dancing show which I found highly enjoyable even though that isn't one of my normal things.

Trip report with blurb: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2604826