Free cruise from Bingo win, might as well wipe your butt with it

njkate

• 4 years later...

We won the Bingo Free cruise a couple of months ago. Unfortunately we live in New Zealand and Norwegian have just told us the "Prize" only includes Cruises from the US to Caribbean/Bahamas. While we like the idea of going there, another long haul to Maimi this year (It would take around 25-30 hours in the air each way, and more like 40-50 hours total flight time each way) is just not practical.

The Certificate says 

“Certificate may be used towards any cruise with a maximum value of $600 (not applicable to categories IX, OX, BX, MX)”

Nowhere does it say the Certificate can only be used for Cruises from the US to Caribbean/Bahamas so I'm wondering if they are just being difficult and hoping we go away! Either that or Im missong some fine print somewhere? Given that the value of the Prize is $600, which is great but hardly worth being difficult if you are a business like Norwegian, it surprises me. 

Any advice on what to do next would be appreciated? I don't think we are being unreasonable, and we don't want to be left with a sour taste in our mouth over what should be a highlight? 

• 1 month later...

We won the free cruise in March. We are trying to use it and it appears that it would cost just as much for us to purchase the cruise & get the “free at sea” stuff.  We were told on the cruise that we could use it basically as a $600 per person credit towards any cruise, that we didn’t have to choose a Caribbean cruise, but when I went to book it they said no, I couldn’t do that.  We are probably going to just throw it away.  We don’t want to spend that much money to go back to the Caribbean where we have been so many times. 
“Free cruise” would be $707 (port fees, taxes, service charge) plus we would have to pay for the drink package ($99/day for 5 days for 2 people - $1000).  Free cruise total $1700. 

Paying for it outright & getting the free at sea…$1900. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I wish they would make a law requiring inclusive pricing, so that taxes, port fees, services fees, etc... all need to be included in the advertised price.  I know that they can't change some of it, but I think that people feel cheated when they start looking, and then the price changes SOOOooo drastically.  We have a law like that for airfare in Canada, and it's made me more confident in booking flights, and I'm travelling by plane far more now.

I totally agree with your sentiment. We won same in April and were told the same. We woukd be free to use it as an upgrade on a different cruise. We live in NZ and there is no way we would fly to the US for a 5 day cruise. When we contacted them after to apply the $600 credit to a cruise from here they said no then ghosted me when I asked for it to be referred higher. It's really really poor customer service!!

6 hours ago, KDebreuil said:

I wish they would make a law requiring inclusive pricing, so that taxes, port fees, services fees, etc... all need to be included in the advertised price.  I know that they can't change some of it, but I think that people feel cheated when they start looking, and then the price changes SOOOooo drastically.  We have a law like that for airfare in Canada, and it's made me more confident in booking flights, and I'm travelling by plane far more now.

The cruise fare prices only change if you pick a higher level cabin.  Additional fees for a cruise (port fees etc) are no different than buying a car and after setting the car price, the dealer adds on dealer prep, sales taxes, license fees, etc.  Feel cheated, LOL...

On 10/2/2018 at 1:15 PM, njkate said:

My daughter won the "free cruise" at Bingo, it's only for 5 nights or less max $600 PP. Hard pressed to find a cruise for that unless you want to do a booze cruise to Bahamas in an inside cabin.

Well she thought maybe we could apply to TA we are booked on, so called. Would have to cancel and rebook, of which this cruise is now $750 more pp then when we booked so no saving/bonus there, can not combine with other offers, so I'm assuming this means free beverage package. We would have been happy if they gave half of it as an OBC. It is very easy for them to apply the credit they just refuse.

I'm so peeved I may just cancel the TA with NCL and do a land based vacation.

So beware if you win one of these you are very limited how you can use it.

Complaining about winning and using a free cruise.  LMAO. First World problem for sure.

• Haha 1