Online tour operators

LobsterStalker

Hi all, I've been on 7 cruises now, all with Royal Caribbean,and heading for our 8th on Norwegian Breakaway in a couple weeks.

We generally don't do a lot of excursions , maybe 1,possibly 2 per trip. Most stops we usually like to find a nearby beach and relax. On previous cruises I have booked excursions both from the ship, as well as on the dock with the local providers. I am wondering if anyone has booked IN ADVANCE with any private companies for any Caribbean ports, and if so how the experience was for you ?

Also , 3 ports we are heading to next month will be new to us. Anyone with any tips for me on beaches or Can't miss adventures in St. Thomas, Basseterre or Tortola would be appreciated.

Thx in advance

Colin

I used an online tour operator years ago for a tour in St Lucia and wasn't happy with the experience. I have forgotten which one it was, though.

What I didn't like is most online tour operators are actually agents representing tour providers and not the actual tour providers themselves. They get a commission for booking the tours through their site.

It took days to get answers to questions about the tour because you were going through a third party. Even after asking questions I still didn't feel the tour lived up to the description so I asked for a refund and it was granted.

Unless an online tour broker offers a unique experience, I think you're better off booking directly with the tour operator.

I agree. We only book direct.

I used an online tour operator years ago for a tour in St Lucia and wasn't happy with the experience. I have forgotten which one it was, though.

What I didn't like is most online tour operators are actually agents representing tour providers and not the actual tour providers themselves. They get a commission for booking the tours through their site.

It took days to get answers to questions about the tour because you were going through a third party. Even after asking questions I still didn't feel the tour lived up to the description so I asked for a refund and it was granted.

Unless an online tour broker offers a unique experience, I think you're better off booking directly with the tour operator.

We have had good luck booking online directly with the tour operator. The consolidators can be hit or miss. You will generally get a better price booking directly, although I have booked with a major online excursion company for less than the tour operator’s website.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

For St Thomas -

Our favorite beach is Sapphire, home to a few condo properties with a rental center, beach bar, and restaurant. Gorgeous beach and water colors with beautiful island views and decent snorkeling with coral and a sea grass area. Great beach choice, and you’d have plenty of time to stop at Paradise Point and enjoy a Bushwacker and the view of the harbor below. You’re not looking for this but I surprised my wife with a vow renewal at the gazebo there, surfboard shots at the bar after with 3 other couples traveling with us. The gazebo is a great spot for that.

We’ve also taken the New Horizon sloop out of Sapphire Marina while staying at the Sapphire Resort. Nice sail over to STJ with a snorkel stop off Honeymoon Beach. Great Italian lunch and fantastic drinks. The current was a bit strong when we did this in January but there were sea swells too. They work with cruisers and leave at 10 and return to Sapphire at 3:45. Online pricing was discounted <$100pp for the sloop, you’ll have to check current pricing. They also have a powerboat, Breakaway II that goes to the Baths on Virgin Gorda and Jost but you’re not in port long enough.

You could also take a self-excursion to St John. $10pp/25 minute taxi to the Red Hook ferry, $7pp/15 minute ferry to Cruz Bay, and a $7pp/10 minute taxi to a beach. So a total of $24pp round trip. You can add an island tour of STJ for another ~$25pp, and they drop you at Trunk Bay after. Total with the tour is ~$66pp ( the $7 fare to the beach is included in the tour fare). Drivers taking folks to the beach will offer the tours.

Nice day seeing some of STT, being on the ferry, and enjoying gorgeous views of STJ’s north shore and a nice beach like Cinnamon Bay. We also enjoy having a drink at the Beach Bar in Cruz Bay before the top return.

Colin, if looking for something special for your wife/significant other St John Bracelets in Cruz Bay designs and custom makes gorgeous Hook bracelets. You could stop in before going to a beach and have one designed and he will have it ready when you return. Or there are several to choose from. Or for a surprise call ahead!