Black sand beach in St. Kitts

beshears

I have seen a few postings that say St. Kitts doesn't have much of a beach. If this is true, and we have never seen a black sand beach before, where or what beach will this be at for us to check out?

Hi beshears,

I notice you saw the other thread where someone else asked about the black sand beach where I replied about South Friars Bay/Shipwreck Beach. You'd commented asking about the Timothy Hill overlook. It was on our way to Shipwreck Beach Bar/Grill that we asked our driver to stop at Timothy Hill overlook. It was on the way and South Friars Bay/Shipwreck are just at the bottom of the hill. Our driver did not charge us extra for the stop. We'd gone to Brimestone Hill Fortress that morning and spent a few hours at the beach afterwards.

As for beaches in St. Kitts, there are only a few. Frigate Bay (Caribbean side) is the closest, but we've never been there so don't know what the beach is like or how wide it is. On the other side of Frigate Bay is the Marriott Beach (some get day passes), but that is on the Atlantic side so swimming isn't always possible. The next one is South Friars Bay (Shipreck Beach Bar/Grille (rustic, but has the black sand, and the beach there is narrow) on one end and Carambola Beach club (more upscale) on the other end. From reviews I've seen, the beach is wider and the sand at Carambola is lighter in color, but it's only about a 10 minute walk down the beach toward Shipwreck/black sand. Both are on the Caribbean side, so usually safe for swimming. The views from both are the same, and very pretty. The farthest beach, about a half hour from port, is Cockleshell Beach. It's located at the southern end of St. Kitts. We were there on a cruise in 2013 and the beach there is fairly wide. We really liked Cockleshell too, and on a sunny day, the views of Nevis are great.

Edited by pghsteelerfan

pghsteelerfan, thanks for your reply. Yes, I do remember reading your posting, but since I had read several on the St. Kitts forum, I couldn't remember the one that had mentioned the black sand.:)