Girls cruise!! What crafts projects could we bring to do onboard

kbalthaser66

I'll be sailing with my sister (40's-50's) and we are wanting to do crafts onboard. What craft ideas can we easily bring and do while onboard. A week full of relaxation and crafting sounds like heaven. Suggestions of stuff to bring that can fit into luggage. Need everyone's ideas. :D

That sounds like a dream cruise to me! Hard for me to think of things that don't require banned items. Digital scapbooking would be a good one. All you need is your computer and have the kits you want preloaded. You could even get a bunch of old family photos loaded into your computer beforehand and make a family scrapbook for your parents if they are still around. If you have never done it before, it is pretty easy. Just google it.

Another great project would be a Hawaiian style applique quilt (or smaller quilt squares) that you could work on together. Bring the top with the applique already tacked on. I think the applique part would take a whole cruise and you wouldn't even need to bring the back and the batting. Bonus of that is you could work on the same quilt together. Watch the scissor size limits.

It would be fun to make some christmas ornaments. I have always wanted to make some intricate beaded balls but have never found the time for the beading.

My last cruise had a craft every morning. I never made it to it but it looked a bit on the lame side.

Depends on what you mean by portable. What crafts do you enjoy doing?

Last cruise was a 14 day Journeys cruise on Carnival. They had Crafts at 8am, each day was something different.

They also had a knitting circle. Lots of knitters, crocheters, and one guy making a blanket sized needlepoint chess board.

Most of the knitters and crocheters brought small projects. I made a queen sized afghan.

Over the years I’ve seen sketchers, painters, lots of needlepoint/cross stitch/embroidery. Also beadwork, coloring books etc.

On these boards I’ve read people doing quilting piece work.

I recently watched a video from someone who just got off the Valor. Their last sea day had a "creativity at sea" event where they made lanyards and dream catchers.

Knitting or crochet is easy to take around. You can find patterns for hats, tote bags, socks, stuffed animals. If that doesn't interest you, I suggest going to a craft store and looking at their kids section. They usually have a lot of crafting kits where everything you need is right there in the box. Adult coloring books are also really fun and relaxing, especially when you're by a window and it's rainy out. With that, I recommend getting Prismacolor pencils and a blending pencil.

I am a traveling therapist. What is easy for me to carry around

and kids to do are stuff with beads and seashell crafts

Can get craft kits for these on amazon

But can put a more adult spin on this. :cool:

I don’t sew or knit....I do love ankle bracelets and anything with seashells

Edited by kcdancerkc

I bring my yarn and hooks and crochet hats for my local cancer center.

Thank you for doing this!! One day my mom forgot her hat on the way to chemo and she was cold. Luckily they had some there donated by people like you! I see you're from New Orleans so it may have even been yours if you give to East Jeff's cancer center. :D:D

Sorry for hijacking the thread, OP!

Scrapbooking is a fun craft you can do on a cruise, leaving spaces for your cruise photos to be added later. Similarly, other paper crafts such as greeting cards, etc. Basically if you can fit it in your suitcase and it's not super messy (no clay wheels LOL), you can bring it. Never had a problem bringing scissors or craft materials in checked baggage on any plane or ship.

My next cruise, I'm bringing a copy of a teen novel I wrote, and plan to finish adapting its screenplay. I don't feel like bringing a laptop this time, so a good juicy pen and a legal pad are all I'll need for hours of amusement! :*

If that is the sort of thing you enjoy and wish to do, sure, :)

Would a glue gun be equired for all the sparklies? I'm not srfue if glue guns are permitted?

Edited by sail7seas

This week a friend showed me her leather bead wrapped bracelet she made. There are videos on how to make them so download and learn away. As they are triple wrapped they will take a few sessions to get them made. Here is a link to article I just pulled off of Google.

https://www.thesprucecrafts.com/make-leather-bead-wrap-bracelet-339607

You will need scissors, and one video uses a long needle, but if you use a larger bead you can use other alternatives. I just made some necklaces using dental floss threaders. Thin, nylon and blunt.

It would be a great reminder of your trip together, and make some more for gifts.

I'd love having loads of time to spend coloring in some of the really cool grown-up coloring books with flower and animal designs.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Forums mobile app

The adult coloring book is something we are bringing for sure. Who doesn't love to lose themselves coloring. My brain could use this for days.

On my Pride cruise last year, I brought an ocean theme adult dot to dot book and coloring books with gell pens. I used them some. They are great for groups since you could share pens or markers. Another easy item would be paint by number kits. I do looming and brought a small Loom and some yarn. Because of scissors restrictions, I brought a nail care kit and used small scissors in that. On some ships they do scrapbooking for a fee, but you could bring some paper, ink pads, and stamps and make your own pages too. Another great idea for a group would be paper quilling (where you take strips of paper, twirl them and make designs or even little animals. You can buy these in kits too.