Yet another customs question

atexsix

I really apologize but I've talked to others currently on Eurodam that are also confused on when to declare purchases from onboard the ship since we went from Seattle to Canada to Hawaii, and now Canada again. Do we indicate this circuitous route on the customs form? They told me no in floataway lounge because we will debark in Vancouver where the process essentially resets, but onboard purchases were not addressed.

For Canada we know we have a visitor exemption, we then board Amtrak later in the day for Seattle, do we declare at this point even if our country visited is Canada and not international waters? There doesn't seem to be anywhere on the form to indicate we entered Canada on a ship and our purchases are from the ship or is the location completely irrelevant? Do we clarify with the agent?

Thanks for your patience on this!

Edited by atexsix

This is my guess.  As a Canadian I have never been asked where I bought an item.  The fact that I bought it is the issue.  You will have the receipt to show the agent that will indicate that it was bought on a ship and not in Canada.  Any declaration card I have filled out, again for Canada, asks where I am coming from and if I visited any other countries. This is how it would be clarified that you were on a cruise that returned to YVR and you are returning the the USA via train.

Edited by 1of4

You will fill in the Canada Customs form as a visitor so nothing to declare unless you are bringing in gifts over $60 or alcohol or tobacco.  (See link to specimen)

Canada Customs Form

When you go through Customs & Immigration at the border into the US (the Port of Entry) you will declare anything you purchased in Canada but not in Hawaii.

If you bought items on the ship you will need to declare them.  The shops on the ship only open in international waters and will be duty free purchases.  All Duty Free shops send their sales information to the CBP (US Customs & Border Protection) so there will be a record.

Edited by *Miss G*