Tapatalk & Cruise Critic apps no longer work on iOS devices...try using the Shortcuts app

-Lew-

If you used to visit Cruise Critic on your iOS device using either Tapatalk or the Cruise Critic Forums app, you likely are aware they can no longer access Cruise Critic forums.  I have created a shortcut for use with any iOS device running iOS version 12 or above that will open the various Cruise Critic boards you follow automatically in Mobile Safari.  If you’re interested, follow the steps below.

1. You will need to install the free Apple Shortcuts app from the App Store.

%E2%80%8EShortcuts%20on%20the%20App%C2%A    

If you're viewing this post on your iOS device, this link will bring you to the app in the App Store.

2.  Open the app to learn how it works.

3.  You’ll need to install my shortcut into the app in order to give it a try and then customize it for your use.  Click this link to begin installation.

IMG_0047.png?raw=1

4.  Tap on the Cruise Critic shortcut within the Shortcuts app to automatically open Mobile Safari and load two preprogrammed boards I follow.

5.  If you would like to customize the shortcut to open the boards you follow, tap on the circle with three dots in the upper-right corner of the Cruise Critic shortcut.  Edit the Text section to your liking.  To add a new board, go to that board in Mobile Safari, highlight and copy the entire URL of that board and paste it into the Text window.

Note: for Roll Calls I add “?page=300” (without quotes) to the end of the pasted URL in order to open the last page of the Roll Call.  That’s optional…try it both ways to see which you prefer.  I also add a description above the URL preceded by two hyphens “- -” (without quotes) so it will be ignored when the shortcut is run.

6.  Once you have all your boards entered and have tested your shortcut, it can be added to your device’s home screen.  Tap on the circle with the three dots again, tap on the box with the up arrow near the top of the screen, select “Add to Home Screen,” follow the instructions on the next screen.  Now, all you need to do to access your favorite boards is tap the icon on your home screen.

Note: If you should edit your favorite boards within the Cruise Critic shortcut, the Home Screen icon will update automatically.

7.  Enjoy...

• Like 2

Huh!

All I did was to log onto the full site  through Safari and then go to boards.

All I then did was to use the button on the Safari toolbar (the one which looks like a square with an arrow exiting at the top) to save to Home Screen and it created a Shortcut Icon which I can then use to go direct to the boards.from the IOS home screen.

43 minutes ago, Corfe Mixture said:

Huh!

All I then did was to use the button on the Safari toolbar (the one which looks like a square with an arrow exiting at the top) to save to Home Screen and it created a Shortcut Icon which I can then use to go direct to the boards.from the IOS home screen.

I had done the same as you and prefer it to the Shortcuts App but I appreciate Lew’s efforts. 

Either way I prefer Tapatalk to this new mobile experience. 

2 hours ago, Corfe Mixture said:

Huh!

1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

I had done the same as you and prefer it to the Shortcuts App but I appreciate Lew’s efforts. 

If you prefer to open Cruise Critic in one tab, there's no need to use the Shortcut app.  I have Safari on my MacBook Pro set to automatically open five Cruise Critic boards each in a separate tab.  The Cruise Critic shortcut does the same thing on my iPad and iPhone with one touch of the icon.