funny story on westerdm cruise

tammyp5

Before my cruise, my sister was worried that something would happen to us. She reads the news blogs constantly and was always sending me pieces about passengers missing, the Norwalk virus and especially, pirate attacks. I thought this was funny, considering that we were cruising only to the Bahamas and Key West.

On our Key West port day, we came back to the ship early and I was lounging on our gorgeous aft veranda, waiting for the famous Key West sunset. I was half reading my book, half nodding off in the sun.

Suddenly, I heard a loud "BOOM", almost like a cannon shot, and I jumped a little in reaction. My sister's warning came into my head and I giggled, thinking I would tell her about it as soon as we got home - pirates on the horizon - avast ye mateys - wake up from yer loungin' - arg!

I stood up to go inside and tell my husband about it and I happened to glance over the rail.

There was a pirate ship at full mast off the port side of the ship.

As soon as I looked at it, it shot off another cannon round.

Now, I'm a reasonably calm person, but for one moment, I'm sure my mouth dropped to the floor. Then my mind starting working - Key West, sunset cruise, pirate battle..... I stepped forward so I could see around the side of the cabin and, sure enough, there was another pirate ship not far away, and it was loading it's own cannon to return fire.

Once I got over my giggles, I realized this was a much better story for my sister!

Before my cruise, my sister was worried that something would happen to us. She reads the news blogs constantly and was always sending me pieces about passengers missing, the Norwalk virus and especially, pirate attacks. I thought this was funny, considering that we were cruising only to the Bahamas and Key West.

On our Key West port day, we came back to the ship early and I was lounging on our gorgeous aft veranda, waiting for the famous Key West sunset. I was half reading my book, half nodding off in the sun.

Suddenly, I heard a loud "BOOM", almost like a cannon shot, and I jumped a little in reaction. My sister's warning came into my head and I giggled, thinking I would tell her about it as soon as we got home - pirates on the horizon - avast ye mateys - wake up from yer loungin' - arg!

I stood up to go inside and tell my husband about it and I happened to glance over the rail.

There was a pirate ship at full mast off the port side of the ship.

As soon as I looked at it, it shot off another cannon round.

Now, I'm a reasonably calm person, but for one moment, I'm sure my mouth dropped to the floor. Then my mind starting working - Key West, sunset cruise, pirate battle..... I stepped forward so I could see around the side of the cabin and, sure enough, there was another pirate ship not far away, and it was loading it's own cannon to return fire.

Once I got over my giggles, I realized this was a much better story for my sister!

hehehe thats great! I would have reacted as well hehehe But I think I would have loved to see those pirate ships :)

For tammyp5...

I think you've brought a smile & giggle to many of us...thanks for recounting your hair-raising experience!

I think I'm probably a bit like your sister...concerned about possible problems and preparing myself for them. On our very first cruise, after watching the Titanic movie more than a dozen times (our favorite), I felt the need to purchase a whistle, pocket flashlight, and miniature compass to carry with me at all times while I was on the ship...along with an enlarged copy of the deck plans, waterbottle in carrycase, pocket snacks (emergency rations), and my asthma medicines...you know, all of this just in case we were forced into having a "lifeboat" experience! Suffice it to say that having all these "goodies" in my fannypack gave me some sort of empowerment and assurance that nothing "bad" would happen to spoil our very first cruise. In addition, I made notes during lifeboat drill.

Well, let me share that all of my "preparations" didn't help when our onboard "problem" occurred the first morning of our cruise! We had just risen to a glorious day and were enjoying the early morning sun on our verandah when "nature called". I removed myself to the tiny bathroom and regally sat on the "throne" for awhile as my husband continued to enjoy the balcony. Suddenly the illuminated bathroom went pitch black. I hoped that it was just a flickering of the lights, but darkness continued to envelope me and I had no idea where the toilet paper was! My fanny pack, complete with emergency equipment...namely the pocket flashlight...was out in our cabin...far from reach! I couldn't reach the handle of the bathroom door from my perk. I hollered for my husband, but he couldn't hear me because the balcony door was shut. Soon I realized that the ship was not moving anymore and feared the worst...! When I overheard an annoucement on the loud speaker system from the bridge that there was a problem with the engines and the ship's power would be "out" for awhile! And, here I was stuck on the "throne" in a tiny black cubicle called a bathroom without my "emergency supply kit".

Now I realized that there is a reason that these shipboard bathrooms are so tiny...so you can find your way around them from your seated position in the dark. Quickly I realized that I could actually touch all four walls from my perch. Soon, after groping my way around, I located the illusive toilet paper and remedied my situation. The door handle was an easier find and soon I was "free" of that blackened room. I rejoiced in the light of our cabin, joined my husband on the balcony and shared my exploits with him. Of course, he was completely unaware...he didn't even know that the power was out...only that the ship was "dead" in the water.

We didn't have any "sinking" feeling...the day was bright with only a few cotton ball clouds. I opened the balcony door so that we could "hear" any further annoucements. The Captain kept us apprised of the repair progress and within a couple hours, we were happily on our way again. The rest of that cruise was a delight, and I have to admit, my little adventure didn't "darken" things for long!

Once might conclude that I now carry "my kit" with me everywhere on the ship now...that's not the case, although I still do pack all those emergency goodies when I cruise...you just never know!?!?! (I must point out that on all of the other cruises we've been on, the life vests have been equipped with their own emergency beacon and whistles!)

Debjo

our first cruise was on the old ncl Norway, on one of our sea days as we sat around the pool and got just a little tipsy, there was this HUGE BOOM, the ship stopped dead and black smoke was pouring out of the smokestack. We had NO clue what was going on, we watched the crew and they didn't seem to be doing anything out of the ordinary so we just waited. Soon after the ship started up again. I don't know what happened but for a few minutes we had visions of sinking ships and lifeboats.

your review was wonderful, by the way!

...clip... Suddenly, I heard a loud "BOOM", almost like a cannon shot, and I jumped a little in reaction. My sister's warning came into my head and I giggled, thinking I would tell her about it as soon as we got home - pirates on the horizon - avast ye mateys - wake up from yer loungin' - arg!
Here she is...

47b5d600b3127cce93c29256295200000016108Aat2TVo1Zsv

Candy the ZuiderPrincess

Thanks for providing the "proof", Candy. Now I am certain it wasn't a case of sunstroke! Your ship was more beautiful than the one I saw. Great photo.

Debjo - my goodness you sound as prepared as an eagle scout. A blackout would have made me nervous, too. That little warning behind the toilet "do not flush while seated" was enough to make both of us wary about using it the first few times! Sounds scary - like you're going to get stuck in there and have to be physically removed by the crew.

Archived