20% off Upgrade Classic to Premium where's the savings?

webecruzin2

3 hours ago, cruisin 07 said:

I called Celebrity about upgrading from the Classic, which was a free perk, to the Premium with the 20% savings. At first they were not going to do it saying that it was only for those who paid for the Classic package. At the end they did give me the discount. Upgrade without discount was $231.28. After discount it was $185.02 a savings of $46.26. I used the perk of $300 on board credit to pay for it. Happy with the results.

Took me 8 times to get through yesterday. Be prepared the person you talk to can't make any decisions. Was put on hold twice for a few minutes each time while she talked to someone else about what Celebrity would do. I was very polite and at the end my request was granted.

I'll keep that in mind, because I noticed that the 20% off banner didn't show for my November 2018 cruise, but did for the one in Nov 2019 and Feb 2020.  And, even with that banner, it didn't give me the option to choose the 20% off since it just put the entire Premium package in my cart.

It never hurts to ask and looking at the bourbons and gins in the Classic, we'd do good to upgrade, especially as a couple of my favorite wines are also "Premium".

Thanks for your help!

18 minutes ago, gfkcruiser said:

I have found that these sale emails are targeted to certain cruises.  I did decide to upgrade to premium package. I sail on October 29.

It was stated after adding to cart that the cost shown included the 18%. My classic package is a perk  

I took the advice and upgraded.  It was a wash with the excursion in the Bahamas I cancelled.  Still not sure what we're doing in the Bahamas, but at this point, I haven't spent 'extra'.  😄

13 hours ago, Paulras said:

Why not just use your OBC to buy the upgraded package? I'd pay extra just to not have to sign slips at every bar! 

I did upgrade because of the sale.  I didn't assume I'd be signing that many slips, because I'm not all that fussed about super premium alcohol.  But I know my husband is not going to drink the gins or bourbons in the Classic, so it made sense to upgrade for him, definitely.  The sale made it worthwhile all around.

Thanks for your help!

14 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Haven't ever done it that way but if you have a lot of OBC and you can't think of anything else you'd use it on, like spa or dining or excursions, then I think you have a good idea to just let your OBC take care of any drink charge differences.

I figured there wouldn't be that many overages, if you will, but with the sale and me canceling the Bahamas excursion I'd already booked, it made send to upgrade. 

But, of course, now I still have to figure out what we're doing in the Bahamas.

3 hours ago, gfkcruiser said:

I have found that these sale emails are targeted to certain cruises.  I did decide to upgrade to premium package. I sail on October 29.

It was stated after adding to cart that the cost shown included the 18%. My classic package is a perk  

If your leaving from Barcelona we will be on that cruise also. We get the premium package. It makes things more carefree. 

Edited by bigbenboys
added info

6 minutes ago, bigbenboys said:

If your leaving from Barcelona we will be on that cruise also. We get the premium package. It makes things more carefree. 

Yes, we are on the Eclipse.  Looking forward to this vacation.  

When do you arrive in Barcelona?

On 10/18/2018 at 5:39 PM, Sandy1975 said:

I like Perrier and Pellegrino so upgrading is a no brainer for me. Allows me to drink top shelf plus my upgraded sparkling water. 

Sandy and other premium water drinkers-- can you let me know how it works if you have a classic package and want to buy upgraded water-- is it discounted or you just pay normal stated rates?

22 minutes ago, JennAngel9 said:

Sandy and other premium water drinkers-- can you let me know how it works if you have a classic package and want to buy upgraded water-- is it discounted or you just pay normal stated rates?

I think that because the classic package doesn't include any sparkling water, then you pay the full price which I think is around $5.

I also tend to get smoothies so even without the 20% discount I would upgrade. In the past I waited until I got on the ship to upgrade but with the increase in the last few months I jumped on the upgrade when it wasoffered as a discount.

Intrigued by the 20% off sale for the upgrade. News to me! I always upgrade just for the sparkling water, smoothies and not having to sign the endless paper slips! Where was the banner? I don't think I got an email. How long before your cruise was the sale offered? We're on Feb 22 Silhouette to the ABCs.

Thanks!

If the banner is not showing on your reservation, then it's probably not offered. :classic_blink:

I just upgraded DH and I for our December 9th Edge cruise using some of our OBC.  We were also going to wait until the second day after boarding to save a little.  This way, the package will already be on our Seapass card.  No signing for extra cost on drinks, either. 😍

4 hours ago, LadyDivot said:

Intrigued by the 20% off sale for the upgrade. News to me! I always upgrade just for the sparkling water, smoothies and not having to sign the endless paper slips! Where was the banner? I don't think I got an email. How long before your cruise was the sale offered? We're on Feb 22 Silhouette to the ABCs.

Thanks!

The banner showed up for our 2020 Asian cruise, but not for either Nov 2018 or Nov 2019.  But I'd gotten an email about it and saw this discussion and I called.  The CSR was very helpful and immediately did upgrade us for $13.22/person/day without question even though the Classic package was a perk.

According to Celebrity's site from within the Cruise Planner there are still 22 hours left on the sale.  I'm not upgrading anything on the other cruises yet in the hopes that Black Friday will have even better offers.

I just got off the phone with CC and both the CSR and their supervisor are telling me that the 20% off upgrade is ONLY available on select 2018 cruises and NOT AT ALL on 2019 or 2020 cruises. Based on what I'm seeing above that isn't true. Damn. I will call back again and again until I find someone who will do this. I even said others on my sailing had received this deal and was told "well, that was a mistake as it's not offered on 2019 or 2020 cruises."

Pam