Ponant status, worth something

cruising cockroach

I'm booked on two consecutive Ponant cruises next year.  Signed up for an account and find that I already have status ("Major" for having booked on the 2nd cruise). 

Not much but it does afford (hopefully per cruise):

• complimentary laundry
  • 60 minutes of internet access
  • 1 free excursion up to a certain amount (€50, USD 55).

Arguably it should be included for the amount charged but nice nonetheless.

My 2 Star Mariner status on HAL is worth nothing by comparison (though somewhat cheaper per day).

• 1 month later...

Well, 3 months before my cruise, it looks like they've changed (and reduced total) benefits.  I got an e-mail about loyalty benefits and went to have a look.

Complimentary laundry is still there but it appears that internet access time allowance + excursion allowance have gone.  These two have been replaced by an OBC (amount depends on level).  It may actually benefit us as the 2nd cruise has no stops and excursions, and the allowance will more than cover the loss of complimentary internet access.

Ponant is still generous in that higher-level benefits are available from the moment you book the qualifying cruise.  Most other lines make you wait until the end of the qualifying sailing, even if that is half-way through a B2B.

5 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Ponant is still generous in that higher-level benefits are available from the moment you book the qualifying cruise.  Most other lines make you wait until the end of the qualifying sailing, even if that is half-way through a B2B.

Yes, not complaining.  I was surprised to find that I already had base level loyalty before even cruising.  The only thing I'd hope is that internet access might now be complimentary instead and the OBC is merely in place of the excursion allowance.  The French FAQ still rates for internet access while the English one makes no mention.

Ponant does a lot of partial charters, and those companies often offer more amenities than booking direct.  Our first Ponant cruise [Iceland next summer] was booked through Backroads, so we will get all shore excursions included.  Our second one [New Zealand in 2020] was booked direct so Ponant considers it our 'first' and we don't get any loyalty benefits – but most folks on that second cruise have booked through Tauck and they will get a completely different list of inclusions.  It must be very confusing for the onboard staff to keep track of who gets what!  Anyway, I sure hope we like Ponant because they have a lot of interesting itineraries and maybe some day we can rise all the way to 'Rear Admiral' [which they don't even have yet :classic_wink:]