Princess Grill Suite: Eating at Main Dining Room

uilleann

I am traveling with my brothers and their wives.  We will be a party of six.  We all had nice balcony rooms but then I opted to upgrade to a Princess Grill suite.  The Princess Grill sounds like a great restaurant but one of the main intents of the trip was to spend time with my brothers.  So I checked with my TA and called Cunard directly.   Everyone had the same story,  Tell the Maitre d’ what night we wanted to eat at the Princess and what nights we wanted to eat with the brothers in the main dining room.  And that he or she would take care if the coordination.

But one of my brothers, an experience cruiser but only once before on Cunard, said that because the ship is fully booked that they might not be able to accomodate my request.   This would be really sad and make me want to reverse the upgrade.   I wrote to my TA to check with Cunard again and I will do the same on Monday.   But does what my brother said make sense.

Please do not reply to this post telling me how great the Princess grill is.

If the family is taking dinner on the later sitting you have more chance of being able to join them. Early sitting usually has a wait list.

Just because the voyage is booked out, does not mean the ship will be full to capacity. You will find a lot of solo travellers and if outside school holidays very few cabins that have 3 berths will be fully utilised.

I agree with LadyL1 above; if late seating, even with the ship "full", there are usually still some places available in the Britannia Restaurant.

I remember one crossing where QM2 was said to be sailing "full", yet upstairs in the Britannia Restaurant (late seating) there were many tables (for four or six) unoccupied each and every night of the voyage.

Quiet correct, as others have pointed out, just because a TA has told you that the ship is full, that does not necessarily mean that all the tables/seating in the Britannia are occupied too.

Please don't fret about this any longer.  With all due respect to your brother he will have no idea/overview of what tables/seating are available (in the evenings) in the Britannia restaurant. This is the responsibility of the restaurant Maitre d' on the day, who I believe will accommodate you.

We are talking here of four guests ( your other family members)  they  will already have their own table in the Britannia restaurant.  'Quite often these tables are large enough to accommodate one or two additional guests' . Many of us on this board are seasoned Cunard guests, quite often we experience sitting at a six table were only four guests have been allocated to it, or tables that could easily accommodate eight/ten when only six guests have been allocated to it. 

Please don't worry about this any longer, just make your arrangements 'once onboard' ( don't expect to be accommodated on the first evening,  embarkation days can be quite hectic.)     

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Bell Boy said:

Quiet correct, as others have pointed out, just because a TA has told you that the ship is full, that does not necessarily mean that all the tables/seating in the Britannia are occupied too.

Please don't fret about this any longer.  With all due respect to your brother he will have no idea/overview of what tables/seating are available (in the evenings) in the Britannia restaurant. This is the responsibility of the restaurant Maitre d' on the day, who I believe will accommodate you.

We are talking here of four guests ( your other family members)  they  will already have their own table in the Britannia restaurant.  'Quite often these tables are large enough to accommodate one or two additional guests' . Many of us on this board are seasoned Cunard guests, quite often we experience sitting at a six table were only four guests have been allocated to it, or tables that could easily accommodate eight/ten when only six guests have been allocated to it. 

Please don't worry about this any longer, just make your arrangements 'once onboard' ( don't expect to be accommodated on the first evening,  embarkation days can be quite hectic.)     

Wise words from Bell Boy.

Edited by pepperrn

7 hours ago, Bell Boy said:

So True....They are passengers on the best ship afloat and the Staff will accommodate them so they can remember the sailing as a true lasting experience. Thank you Bell Boy once again! 

Edited by BklynBoy8

OK... this is the best suggestion.

BTW My TA called Curard and then I called Cunard.   When we first made the booking we were all on balcony suites to eat at a table for 6 in the Brittania.  AFter we upgrade, We show a table for 2 in the Princess but the others still show a table for 6.  Cunard verified that.  So they said to make sure we coordinate with the Princess Grill Maitre d’, but we are good to go.

The Cunard agent also said that just because a cruise is booked does not mean the restaurant will be full.  Many passengers do not wish to eat in the main dining room or they are couples looking to eat with new people or they are singles in one suite.   The dining room has extra capacity.

The other interesting thing is that on the USA site it looks like you can no longer get cabins,  like its fully booked.  But when I was searching for port schedules I got into the Spanish Cunards site.  They still showed inside cabins available?

Anyhow... all is good now.

Also, don't forget you all have the option of the Verandah one evening or any of the alternative dining experiences that they have on board.  If they offer Coriander, don't miss it, especially if you all enjoy Indian food.