Corkage fee

piggiepuff

It says that you can bring two bottles of wine on board but that NCL charges a corkage fee of $15 a bottle.  Do they actually charge this? I haven't been charged on the other lines, even though their official rules say there is a charge.  This is my first time on NCL, so I wanted to check. Thanks!

19 minutes ago, piggiepuff said:

It says that you can bring two bottles of wine on board but that NCL charges a corkage fee of $15 a bottle.  Do they actually charge this? I haven't been charged on the other lines, even though their official rules say there is a charge.  This is my first time on NCL, so I wanted to check. Thanks!

It’s Norwegian, of course they charge their fee.  They will note down your folio/room as you are boarding and the fee will be waiting for you in your onboard account 

22 minutes ago, Georgie562 said:

It’s Norwegian, of course they charge their fee.  They will note down your folio/room as you are boarding and the fee will be waiting for you in your onboard account 

😁 On the plus side , you can bring your bottles to dining rooms as the corkage fee has been paid . On other cruise lines , your free bottles are supposed to be drunk in your cabin and the corkage will be charged if you bring these bottles to restaurants . 

Edited by richstowe

The one time I brought wine, they had a table set up in the embarkation area and they collected the corkage fee before we even got our key cards.

Edited by TFLG

I brought on 12 bottles of Italian wine on the Spirit in Civitavecchia and was charged for each. You can bring on as much as you can handle and drink it wherever you want as long as you pay the corkage. This is only allowed on embarkation day and not on port days.

22 minutes ago, parkslopegal said:

Since we’re on the topic of wine, are there corkscrews in the cabins or should we bring our own, if they are even allowed?

The corkscrews are not in the cabins usually (unless you have a wine perk from NCL) but you can get one.  No need to bring one.

We don't care for the NCL Beverage packages since the Cabernet choices are poor.   Also, hate the overpriced gratuities on the overpriced package.   On our last 7 day cruise on the Dawn, I took five bottles of wine (purchased on sale for $40 total-also, it was good wine) and paid the corkage fees.  Total investment was $115.   Since we are Platinum, one night we had a free bottle of wine with our dinner at Le Bistro.   We didn't buy much alcohol, in fact, we spent about $200 total including the $115.  As it turned out, we spent less than what the Beverage Package gratuities would have cost.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PelicanBill said:

Anybody know the procedure at the New York Manhattan Cruise Pier?

Hi Bill,

You will go through security first and they will motion you over to a desk on the left side.  That's where they will check wine, note your cabin # on corkage list and put a sticker on the bottle(s).  No experience bringing larger amount on but someone above mentions a case - not sure how that's handled.

We can then take it anywhere on the ship and they will know by the sticker.  Once saw someone try to remove that sucker from an empty bottle to put it on another bottle, lol....and out of luck.  

The 1.5L can be a challenge to the fridge.

See you onboard!🛳

3 hours ago, 4774Papa said:

We don't care for the NCL Beverage packages since the Cabernet choices are poor.   Also, hate the overpriced gratuities on the overpriced package.   On our last 7 day cruise on the Dawn, I took five bottles of wine (purchased on sale for $40 total-also, it was good wine) and paid the corkage fees.  Total investment was $115.   Since we are Platinum, one night we had a free bottle of wine with our dinner at Le Bistro.   We didn't buy much alcohol, in fact, we spent about $200 total including the $115.  As it turned out, we spent less than what the Beverage Package gratuities would have cost.

Makes perfect sense...My SO thought the Reds were not the greatest on their list...and this way you get a wine you like....great advice!!!!

7 hours ago, PelicanBill said:

Anybody know the procedure at the New York Manhattan Cruise Pier?

Yes... it's quite simple...  When you get to the X Ray machines at the terminal with your bottles of wine, you will be directed to a table where there is someone who will write a charge slip for the corkage fees.  Later that day, someone will process that slip at one of the bars and you will see the corkage fee charges on your account.  They will place special stickers indicating FEE PAID on your bottles so that no one will question you aboard the ship.

• 2 weeks later...

We did find the Viva Vino package when we boarded. They directed us to the Orchid Garden Restaurant and one of the sommeliers took great care of us. We got 8 bottles for $216. They gave us 8 tickets with the names of the wines we selected and any time we wanted a bottle, we just gave a waiter or bartender a ticket and they promptly got it for us, opened it and gave us glasses. We could drink it anywhere on the ship. The wines were ok, not great but we thought it was a good deal as we only drink wine usually. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, parkslopegal said:

We did find the Viva Vino package when we boarded. They directed us to the Orchid Garden Restaurant and one of the sommeliers took great care of us. We got 8 bottles for $216. They gave us 8 tickets with the names of the wines we selected and any time we wanted a bottle, we just gave a waiter or bartender a ticket and they promptly got it for us, opened it and gave us glasses. We could drink it anywhere on the ship. The wines were ok, not great but we thought it was a good deal as we only drink wine usually. 

Before NCL started bundling the beverage package promo with its prices, we always did the Viva Vino package.   Before our last NCL cruise, I tried to find the VV package on NCL's website and couldn't find it.  I called NCL and was told it wasn't offered.  Didn't see it offered once onboard.  Where did you find the VV package?

9 minutes ago, 4774Papa said:

Before NCL started bundling the beverage package promo with its prices, we always did the Viva Vino package.   Before our last NCL cruise, I tried to find the VV package on NCL's website and couldn't find it.  I called NCL and was told it wasn't offered.  Didn't see it offered once onboard.  Where did you find the VV package?

I found out about it through reading the CC boards and asked my TA. Its a big secret for some reason. Anyway, I got it on the Gem. If you want to see the wine selections offered, just look through the boards. I can’t remember where I saw the menu. Good luck!

1 hour ago, parkslopegal said:

Is this package only available with 8 bottles ? Do you know if there is a 4 or 6 bottle option ?

On 10/23/2018 at 8:12 AM, lamchops said:

I brought on 12 bottles of Italian wine on the Spirit in Civitavecchia and was charged for each. You can bring on as much as you can handle and drink it wherever you want as long as you pay the corkage. This is only allowed on embarkation day and not on port days.

On our recent Canada/New England cruise we could bring on bottles of wine at each port, they had a staffed table set up just beyond the x-ray machines.

10 hours ago, vantec said:

On our recent Canada/New England cruise we could bring on bottles of wine at each port, they had a staffed table set up just beyond the x-ray machines.

Disney is the only line that officially allows this. NCL rules state that any bottles of wine or alcohol brought on board in ports has to be declared and is stored until the final evening, and you aren't allowed to consume it during the cruise. Perhaps the alcohol table was the table where you declared it and had it stored for you until the end of the cruise.

Last time in Manhattan cruise terminal, security never directed me to a table to pay for my wine.  However, I knew there should have been a table to the left so I went looking for it.  Not sure if I was at the right spot but if so, no one was manning the area.  I gave up trying to follow the rules since people were getting ahead of me to check in and my goal was to get into Vibe. So needless to say I was not charged.  Maybe since it was pretty early?  Bottle was for cabin use, and with all the alcohol I was drinking from the drink package, I never opened it up anyway.  It was a pain lugging it on the ship then lugging it back home.

19 hours ago, 4774Papa said:

In my experience it has always been offered, you just have to look for it. The atrium cafe is often a good place to look.

3 hours ago, fshagan said:

Disney is the only line that officially allows this. NCL rules state that any bottles of wine or alcohol brought on board in ports has to be declared and is stored until the final evening, and you aren't allowed to consume it during the cruise. Perhaps the alcohol table was the table where you declared it and had it stored for you until the end of the cruise.

This is something which seems to differ from ship to ship. Unfortunately, in typical NCL style, there is no way that you can tell in advance whether it will be allowed or not, but they certainly do let you pay the corkage at ports of call sometimes.