Review of Pride of America.......just back from Hawaii

tmt3698

Looks like you have more storage in that inside that what I have seen in photos of an aft facing balcony.  

Thanks for the ti[s for Kauai.  How often does the shuttle run if we rent from Thrifty?  Is the shuttle a dedicated Thrifty shuttle or anchor Cove shuttle?

Thanks for the great review and photos.

24 minutes ago, kutchyone said:

Looks like you have more storage in that inside that what I have seen in photos of an aft facing balcony.  

Thanks for the ti[s for Kauai.  How often does the shuttle run if we rent from Thrifty?  Is the shuttle a dedicated Thrifty shuttle or anchor Cove shuttle?

Thanks for the great review and photos.

Hello, my cabin was 13505 so it's surrounded by suites that is why the shower is upgraded and there is more storage. You can check out Discount Hawaii Car Rental's website he's gathered info on which companies have shuttles. If you pay the $20 at Anchor Cove shopping center they told me their shuttle runs from 8am to 9pm. Annette at JJ's Broiler collects the money and gives you the pass for your dashboard. Annette 808-246-4422. 

Thanks tmt. Lots of great information just in time for our first visit to Hawaii and the POA next week. Helped me narrowed down the attractions we want to visit. The one thing I am still looking into is the overnight car rental parking in Maui. Looked like you were able to park at the mall lot. 

Thanks for the tips.

2 hours ago, Rover121 said:

Thanks tmt. Lots of great information just in time for our first visit to Hawaii and the POA next week. Helped me narrowed down the attractions we want to visit. The one thing I am still looking into is the overnight car rental parking in Maui. Looked like you were able to park at the mall lot. 

Thanks for the tips.

Hello, your going to have a blast. I kept going round and round about where to park in Maui. Then I found Cruisin Maui Rental car. They met me at Whole Foods and said to buy something at Long's Drugs and leave the receipt in the dash board. Which I did and the car was fine the next morning. The other option in Maui that I read about is park at the airport I think they said it's $20 but the rental car companies only give you a ride the first day and last day the two trips in between are up to you.

I was also worried about standing in line to take the shuttle to the airports to get the car. In Kona I rented from Thrifty right inside the Marriott which is a 3 minute walk from the ships dock. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Aloha :)

1 hour ago, Tinknock50 said:

Hi....enjoyed your review.   Did you happen to notice any handicapped people on board and how it was working out for them?   I ask because my friend is in a power chair full time.

I do know he won't be able to use the tender on that one day.

Hello, I did notice some folks in wheel chairs but didn't really observe how it was working out for them. But my good friend takes her Father who is 95 on cruises all the time and he uses a wheel chair & walker. Give NCL a call and see what kind of assistance they have for handicap folks.

On ‎11‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 9:46 PM, tmt3698 said:

Hello, your going to have a blast. I kept going round and round about where to park in Maui. Then I found Cruisin Maui Rental car. They met me at Whole Foods and said to buy something at Long's Drugs and leave the receipt in the dash board. Which I did and the car was fine the next morning. The other option in Maui that I read about is park at the airport I think they said it's $20 but the rental car companies only give you a ride the first day and last day the two trips in between are up to you.

I was also worried about standing in line to take the shuttle to the airports to get the car. In Kona I rented from Thrifty right inside the Marriott which is a 3 minute walk from the ships dock. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Aloha :)

Absolutely looking forward to this trip. I have booked a car at most ports except Kona. Seems like there is quite a few things to do at the port in Kona, so we decided just wait until we arrived at the port and then determine if we wanted to join any tours or just to take a leisure walk around the port. In Maui, we booked with Enterprise located near the port. I will play it by ear as to what I'll do with parking. Thanks again for all the tips.

On ‎11‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 8:58 AM, Tinknock50 said:

Hi....enjoyed your review.   Did you happen to notice any handicapped people on board and how it was working out for them?   I ask because my friend is in a power chair full time.

I do know he won't be able to use the tender on that one day.

Hi.  I belong to another group (I can't mention where here) and one of the ladies was with an amputee who could not get around without their chair.  They met up with the person in charge of accessibility on day one and they said she was super helpful all through the cruise.  Additionally (and I would not expect this to happen - just a bonus if it does), they had someone carry her down the stairs to the tender.  The scooter came completely apart to make it easier to manage and someone else carried the scooter down the stairs. 

They were very pleased with the level of service they received.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, alwalaska said:

Hi.  I belong to another group (I can't mention where here) and one of the ladies was with an amputee who could not get around without their chair.  They met up with the person in charge of accessibility on day one and they said she was super helpful all through the cruise.  Additionally (and I would not expect this to happen - just a bonus if it does), they had someone carry her down the stairs to the tender.  The scooter came completely apart to make it easier to manage and someone else carried the scooter down the stairs. 

They were very pleased with the level of service they received.

My friend who takes her Father who is 96 on cruises mentioned to me that the crew on the ships she's been on were very helpful in that same way too. 

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, juicyfruit_85 said:

Thank you for sharing your experince.

Could I ask a question? When the ship is in port overnight on Maui and Kauai, what is the latest you can can board the ship?

Thanks

Good Morning, when I was getting back on board the crew members that were checking us in said they sit there 24/7 to check passengers in. I think you can come and go all night long. You might call NCL and ask. 

On ‎11‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 8:54 AM, tmt3698 said:

Good Morning, when I was getting back on board the crew members that were checking us in said they sit there 24/7 to check passengers in. I think you can come and go all night long. You might call NCL and ask. 

A little more info …  I belong to another group for POA info. This weeks cruise cancelled day 2 in Maui and substituted a sea day due to weather. Someone said they were told that NCL was going to start calling cell phone numbers of people not yet onboard at a specific time.

I am going to make sure NCL  has good contact info for us, just in case.

27 minutes ago, alwalaska said:

A little more info …  I belong to another group for POA info. This weeks cruise cancelled day 2 in Maui and substituted a sea day due to weather. Someone said they were told that NCL was going to start calling cell phone numbers of people not yet onboard at a specific time.

I am going to make sure NCL  has good contact info for us, just in case.

Interesting- the POA has been stationary off the coast near Olowalu for a couple of hours (at least). Perhaps related to the change in itinerary?

14 hours ago, kaylorcc said:

Interesting- the POA has been stationary off the coast near Olowalu for a couple of hours (at least). Perhaps related to the change in itinerary?

That kind of makes sense.  The problem was supposedly massive swells coming in from the north.  She probably hid in the lee of the island to give the passengers a bit smoother of a ride through the worst of it.