Beijing Airport Security

Rawmac

Beijing Airport Security will confiscate (steal?) power banks which a) do not have their capacity clearly shown on the bank,  and b) exceed 160wh capacity.  They will search assiduously and are quite unmoving if they find one.  Even if the airline is happy to carry power banks.  I believe this applies throughout China.  Details can be found by Googling this, and it would seem to have been in place for some months.

When you say Power Banks, I assume you are talking about external batteries for cell phones, pads and laptops. These devices have become a big issue as of late with airport security for a couple of reasons. One is that they might be used to hide an explosive device and the other is because some lithium batteries have caught fire and/or exploded. We flew through London GTW and LHR this year and at both airports phones, pads, laptops and external battery packs were not allowed on the plane if they did not have a charge or could not be powered up. This is the case with TSA in the U.S. but does not seem to be that well enforced. Also, battery packs that are built into luggage must now be removed according to TSA. We did see this strictly enforced in the U.S. Before retiring a few years ago, I traveled to China 2-3 times a year. In my opinion their security was not as strict as that of in the UK and Germany. Of course, things may have changed since my last trip to China.  

BTW, when we flew out of London a few months ago all of my wife's powder make-up was  opened and inspected because it did not all fit in a one quart clear last bag. That was kind of a surprise to us. When we were asked about all of the make-up I just told the security agent I didn't even know my wife wore make-up. We were told to move on.

Jack

I just read someplace that because of the battery pack, power scooters can also be an issue.

Here is what TSA is saying about powders (from the TSA website):

What is the policy on powders? Are they allowed?

Starting June 30, 2018, if you are traveling from an international last-point-of-departure to the U.S., powder-based substances in carry-on baggage greater than 350mL or 12 oz. may require additional screening at the central checkpoint. Powder-like substances over 12 oz. or 350mL in carry-on that cannot be resolved at the central checkpoint will not be allowed onto the cabin of the aircraft and will be disposed of.  

For your convenience, place powders in your checked bag.

The measures have already been implemented at U.S. airports nationwide to identify and prevent potentially dangerous items from being brought aboard the aircraft. There are no changes to what is allowed in carry-on baggage at U.S. airport checkpoints.