Tip question- Let the flaming begin :-)

Guest cruzr44

Last cruise we used the dining room five nights and gave the "suggested" amount plus $20. We also left a cash tip in the general fund in the Windjammer and gave extra to one waiter we had for a few days in the Windjammer for breakfast. Guess we felt they all went above and beyond. Next cruise I will put cash aside and give cash tips instead of putting it on the Seapass.

I think if you tip in the Windjammer and don't use the dining room that is fine.

Personally, I wish RCCL would call it a service charge and not allow you to take it off your bill, so that the cheapskates wouldn't have a choice. Just my opinion.

The problem with your suggestion is that I really enjoy taking care of the folks who made my week. With the present system I know that the money went to exactly the folks who I wanted it to. And on my Serenade cruise it was the Windjammer staff.

How would you feel about tipping if you worked 80-100 hrs/week and your salary without receiving any tips were $50/month?

Get another job was the 1st thought that came to mind.

If they call it a tip or gratuity, it is discretionary but a custom. I always tip 20% at restuarants, except when they include a gratutity on the bill, usually less than I would tip. Depending on the hotel/resort and the amount of times the maid/steward takes care of the room/cabin, I would leave $5-10 a day.

But cruise lines fail to use the correct term, what they encourage, almost to the point of charging a customer, is a service charge, not a discretionary gratuity. And especially in a restuarant which is basically a prixe fix menu, served banquet style. If that's what they want than just say it, $10.00 per person and it covers everything that is included in the cost of the cruise.

I agree with everyone that has posted here. Many different opinions, many different ideas. The person (or people) you will see at least once a day is your cabin steward and you can tip as you wish, either via seapass or in cash. As for windjammers versus the main dinning room for dinner - if you sit in the same spot, you may likely get the same server, however bear in mind, servers for breakfast and lunch will probably be in the main dinning room for dinner so I don't know about dinner - We have never eaten in windjammers for dinner. However, the way I would look at things is, if you get good service, tip. I have never been in the restaurant or bar business so I can't comment on whether the idea of pooling tips holds true, If it did, I would be happy with that - then I would know that not only did the person that gave me clean towels, but the person that washed and folded them, also got a tip. As far as the bar staff goes, I surely hope the get the 15 points that is added to every check.

To set the record straight about tipping, were it goes, who gets what, how much they get and so on, we should enlist the services of people that have actually worked on these ships. I'll bet more than one listens in.:rolleyes:

Get another job was the 1st thought that came to mind.

Most of them don't have to option of getting another job. They come from poverty and the money they make on the ships between the measly salary and TIPS is more money than they could ever make at home. That is why they are there.

I was just came off a cruise and before I went I decided that I was going to eat at chops for two meals and was really thinking of reducing my tip in the dining room, but during the trip I ran into my waiter and the asst in the windjammer and they always manage to come over to our table to serve us beverages, clear plates and just talk with us. It made my decision easy. Not only did I tip the full amount but gave extra.

I do agree if you let the maitre d know that you are not going to be using the dining room, that can free up the waiter and if you take care of the Windjammer service staff who serves beverages etc to you. I think that is fine

All the tips get pooled anyway and divided among everyone.

Ya wanna bet? These crew members hold back tip money and don't disclose their full amount to be split - guarantee it.

How about tipping on your shipboard account? That way the ship decides where it goes.

I like the way NCL adds $10pp each day to your seapass account for tipping and divides it among the staff because of all their different restaurants on their new ships. I enjoy eating at different restaurants each night on my cruises. I prefer not to eat in the same restaurant more than twice on a cruise. I also enjoy having different waiters each night.

Last March we sailed RCCL Legend of the Seas and had a terrible waiter who would forget to take our order each night and never returned to check on us. The food in the dining room was much too salty--according to lots of people. After 3 nights of a 10 night cruise, we took to the Windjammer. I was furious that I had to wait on myself in a buffet line--and didn't care for the fact that there is no hand sanitizing machine at the entry to the buffet line. Didn't like handling utensils that people with germs had handled. Ended up having soup and salad most of the cruise. Anyways, we never tipped our waiter. We gave the extra money to our cabin steward as a bonus since he catered to our every need and did everything he could to provide excellent service.

As always, you folks have come through with great opinions AND without ANY flames that I can see.

Thank you for your intelligent answers and civility.

And to clear up a couple things, yes, we tell the Maitre'd that we won't be there. We didn't the first cruise because we didn't know better, but you all set us straight on that.

Also, yes, we do tip the Windjammer staff knowing that they are also the dining room staff. (Another thing we learned here.)

I'm glad to hear everyone's opinions and thank you all.

To the OP....

Likewise, I do not wish to sir up trouble, but am I wondering why you do not wish to dine in the dining room at all.

What's the attraction in the Windjammer that makes you not want the dining room as an alternate venue?

For us, we don't like to eat at an assigned time, nor do we want to spend hours on one meal every night. We also like to eat in the Speciality Restaurants.

###

I tipped for the boys, even tho they did not eat in the dining room, until.. someone else was seated in their places. At that point we decided the waiters were getting tipped. I am still not sure why others were seated there because we did not state that the boys would not be joining us anymore (they preffered the pizza in cabin with Nickelodeon and the sitter). One night a honeymoon couple just were there and they did not leave. We made sure, through careful questioning of the waitstaff, that the couple tipped (and we witnessed an envelope being handed over) and discussed it with them. That was the one exception. If the seats are occupied by others then I would say not to. Otherwise, tip.

Our family sailed the week between Christmas and New Year's on the Grandeur. As you can imagine, there were many, many families. The 2nd seating dining had many open seats even though the ship was full. On some nights, one waiter had NO ONE at his assigned tables. Our table mates never showed up and, on night 3, we were joined by a nice couple who were headline entertainers on the ship. I couldn't help but feel concerned that the waitstaff was not able to provide the service that they were so ready to provide and that they would not receive the income that they counted on for the week. I agree that letting the Matre D' know at the very beginning of the cruise might help as far as reassigning passengers who might have dining issues to some of these vacant tables. *** Just a note - the entertainers dined with us for three nights and insisted on tipping our wait staff. Our waiter tried to tell them that it wasn't necessary as they were contracted employees on the ship, but they informed our waiter that they appreciated his excellent service and would not accept "no" for an answer. I was very impressed!!

Well I wish they would do away with tips alll together... Lets face it, most of us are going to tip, and are going to use the auto tips... Since using the auto tips has already taken the personal touch out of it... No more envelopes where you can hand it to your staff, and say thank you in person... What is it point?? (we miss this personal touch)

I wish they would just add the tips to the price of the cruise... It would stop all these debates of what to tip, and should we tip if we dont use dining room service, ect... Would not have to deal with the bill on your CC when you get home... Pay for it up front and forget about it.

Our family sailed the week between Christmas and New Year's on the Grandeur. As you can imagine, there were many, many families. The 2nd seating dining had many open seats even though the ship was full. On some nights, one waiter had NO ONE at his assigned tables. Our table mates never showed up and, on night 3, we were joined by a nice couple who were headline entertainers on the ship. I couldn't help but feel concerned that the waitstaff was not able to provide the service that they were so ready to provide and that they would not receive the income that they counted on for the week. I agree that letting the Matre D' know at the very beginning of the cruise might help as far as reassigning passengers who might have dining issues to some of these vacant tables. *** Just a note - the entertainers dined with us for three nights and insisted on tipping our wait staff. Our waiter tried to tell them that it wasn't necessary as they were contracted employees on the ship, but they informed our waiter that they appreciated his excellent service and would not accept "no" for an answer. I was very impressed!!

I think you will find that those who have worked in the service industry and entertainers who spend a lot of time around those in the service industry are usually your better tippers.

actually I still think you should leave the minimum amount. This is not like a shore resort where someone else replaces you at the table. Unless you tell the Matre D and they actually do replace you. Otherwise the table is saved for you and the waiter...waits. He may not serve but he waits and waits just for you. The amount that is suggested is so small(about $10.00 a day) only the most parsimonious among you should resent this amount. By the way, those employees who don't share will wind up with a table with one person. They view themselves as a team and if they aren't pooling peer pressure will be brought to bear and maybe they will wind up with the you in the windjammer. and don't forget those lovely people who miss the last night so they just don't have to tip.

Our first cruise was on Norwegian with the mandatory $10.00 per day service charge. Listening to all this debates make we like that way better. Having said that, our room stewards were fantastic and we rewarded their service with extra.

When we recieved exemplary service from other staff, we made sure we filled out a comment card praising the service. That seemed to please the staff even more than a small extra tip.

Would not have to deal with the bill on your CC when you get home... Pay for it up front and forget about it.

That *is* an option when you book the cruise. Works for me! And I will still bring plenty more $$ in cash to tip with too. Frankly, I'm one of those who doesn't think there is such a thing as over-tipping, but that's just me.

Tracy

and don't forget those lovely people who miss the last night so they just don't have to tip.

Amen! And people shouldn't think for one second that the crew aren't on to them. The "white shirts" know that when the Windjammer is crowded on the last night, the service crew will be unhappy the next day.

The more I think about it, the more I think tipping and good service IS a frame of mind, and they go hand in hand. These people are working these ships seven days a week, six months at a time. They can probably identify (consciously or subconsciously) the tippers from the non-tippers at a glance....by their demeanor and the way they interact with them...even before any money changes hands. And heck, by the end of the week, those guys probably have sized up the entire passenger list pretty accurately. :)

I'd classify myself as a happy, generous tipper....and go figure....I get happy, generous service. What a concept! :D

However, I am starting to think that there is a conspiracy to see how many live "tipping" threads can survive on this board at once. LOL

Tracy

I am about to put on a flame retardant suit here, pardon me while I zip up, this thing sticks.

Sometimes the tipping threads can be.. Well sort of holier than thou. "We do this, we are generous to a fault and tip WAY above the suggested amount and if you don't do the same you are an inferior human being". There was also a lot of that with all the disasters last year. People posting how much they donated. I just consider tipping and money matters in general to be very private affairs. I know what I tip and I know what is expected of me. I assume most people know how much to tip and when to do so and if they don't then they can ask questions about it, just like the OP did. I also know that if someone has been reading the boards for a while it takes a backbone made of titanium to have the guts to ask a tipping question. I applaud those folks.

Too many times it gets into a "well you should tip _____ and if you don't you are horrible and should not cruise" or way too far the other way. For someone who does not beleive in tipping, we all know who those posters are, I am not going to name them, this is a tough place to post. Some of them are from sociaties that don't tip. I am not supporting that argument, I am merely stating it exists. I have also heard, a lot the argument that, "well you can afford a cruise, you can afford to tip this much". To imply, suggest or state that they can afford to tip beyond the suggested amount without knowing their financial situation is probably a little shortsighted. There is a suggested amount. People tip above and below that amount. It is going to happen on every single cruise. Perhaps someone can barely afford, but desperatly needs a cruise. If they are tipping the suggested amount then perhaps they should be made to feel as welcome as those who tip more than the suggested amount.

I am aware that my little tirade for kindness to those who can afford only the suggested amount is probably as obnoxious as the rants I am kvetching about.

People can get downright mean on the boards if they feel someone is not tipping to their personal standards. I just remember what happened once when I asked my father what he made. He took off his glasses, and put down his paper (believe me not much got him to put the New York Times down) and said, "That, young lady, is none of your business. It's personal and I am not going to tell you. Now I do not want to hear you ever asking anyone that question unless you are planning to marry him. Then you better." end of conversation. While I was a little miffed at the time I now know that financial matters are personal and really no one elses business.

Too many times it gets into a "well you should tip _____ and if you don't you are horrible and should not cruise"

If anyone has inferred this mindset from my posts, my apologies. I do recall actually saying somewhere (there are soooo many of these threads) that everyone's personal finances vary.

My point was to say "what goes around comes around". A tip is a tip. Some can afford 50 cents, some can afford five bucks. It is the personal generosity that is projected...and the appreciation that goes with it....which send out those vibes I was talking about.

"Bringing along plenty of tipping $$$" to ME, may mean lots of cash to some, while a mere a pittance to others. It's not the amount, IMO, it's the mindset of being generous and appreciative. What consititutes generosity and appreciation among individuals can vary wildly depending on one's personal circumstances.

Tracy

Ya wanna bet? These crew members hold back tip money and don't disclose their full amount to be split - guarantee it.

How about tipping on your shipboard account? That way the ship decides where it goes.

And somehow the ship knows better than I who took care of me and who I want to take care of??

Nliedel....

Very well said. And I for one know nothing about how much my father, brother, friends, or anyone else earns. It is none of my business. And they know nothing about what I earn either.

I am about to put on a flame retardant suit here, pardon me while I zip up, this thing sticks.

Sometimes the tipping threads can be.. Well sort of holier than thou. "We do this, we are generous to a fault and tip WAY above the suggested amount and if you don't do the same you are an inferior human being". There was also a lot of that with all the disasters last year. People posting how much they donated. I just consider tipping and money matters in general to be very private affairs. I know what I tip and I know what is expected of me. I assume most people know how much to tip and when to do so and if they don't then they can ask questions about it, just like the OP did. I also know that if someone has been reading the boards for a while it takes a backbone made of titanium to have the guts to ask a tipping question. I applaud those folks.

Too many times it gets into a "well you should tip _____ and if you don't you are horrible and should not cruise" or way too far the other way. For someone who does not beleive in tipping, we all know who those posters are, I am not going to name them, this is a tough place to post. Some of them are from sociaties that don't tip. I am not supporting that argument, I am merely stating it exists. I have also heard, a lot the argument that, "well you can afford a cruise, you can afford to tip this much". To imply, suggest or state that they can afford to tip beyond the suggested amount without knowing their financial situation is probably a little shortsighted. There is a suggested amount. People tip above and below that amount. It is going to happen on every single cruise. Perhaps someone can barely afford, but desperatly needs a cruise. If they are tipping the suggested amount then perhaps they should be made to feel as welcome as those who tip more than the suggested amount.

I am aware that my little tirade for kindness to those who can afford only the suggested amount is probably as obnoxious as the rants I am kvetching about.

People can get downright mean on the boards if they feel someone is not tipping to their personal standards. I just remember what happened once when I asked my father what he made. He took off his glasses, and put down his paper (believe me not much got him to put the New York Times down) and said, "That, young lady, is none of your business. It's personal and I am not going to tell you. Now I do not want to hear you ever asking anyone that question unless you are planning to marry him. Then you better." end of conversation. While I was a little miffed at the time I now know that financial matters are personal and really no one elses business.

Your father sounds like mine! I agree with you completely. I actaully think the tipping envelopes are a little tacky in this day and age. I believe that tipping should be done generously on your shipboard account.

I actaully think the tipping envelopes are a little tacky in this day and age. I believe that tipping should be done generously on your shipboard account.

What is tacky about personally handing someone his tip and saying thank you for being part of this great week?

Archived