Tip question- Let the flaming begin :-)

Yeah, really. Who eats lunch at 4ish? That's just weird. I can see it if someone stays up all flipping night, but that's a personal choice.

I'll tell ya. I just don't get some of the complaints on this board.:rolleyes:

Spanish people, many of whom are quite likely to be on a cruise departing from Spain. Lunch is typically 2-4ish, the evening meal is more like 9ish.

We are going on the Brillance in august and can't get the sitting we want. we dont eat lunch until 4ish and rccl want us to eat dinner at 6/6.30. This is impossible. We have come to terms with the fact we are stuck with the windjammer but the level of service in there is not the same as it would be in the restuarant. I hold RCCL completely responsible for this problem and plan to continue to try to change but my revervation now comes up there is no late sitting so I have no real hope. I plan o talk to the Matire on bard the ship but I am not sure why I should tip for a service I am being deprived of.

Nikki

Spain

Have you called C&A or RC reservations (or had your TA if applicable) and asked to be put on the waitlist for your preferred dining time? I had the same thing happen on my last cruise--we were slated for late dining, but wanted to switch to main since my dh has a recently diagnosed medical problem that requires him to eat on a different schedule than we used to. I checked on line and nothing was available. I called and was put on the waitlist; when I checked my res the next day, we had been switched to the main dining. Perhaps that will work for you too. Good luck.

DH charges tips on his seapass account--so everyone gets something. I pay my tips in cash based on where we eat and level of service. Personally, my favorite dining spot is my balcony--quiet and nice view. DH tips me very well.

We bring a collapsable wood table with an over the shoulder carrying bag--like one of those collapsable chair bags. We use the table for dining on our balcony. Loved having dinner outdoors on our Fall cruise overlooking Bermuda while we ate. That table was our best investment ever--thanks to another CC member's posting. Our table is right next to the front door awaiting our February cruise.

I think it's funny how we all get so heated up over tipping. I read all the responses and we are all the tippers! Some more, some average. The real non-tippers are off counting the money they didn't tip with for their next cruise (lol)!:D

Seriously folks, I believe in tipping but it's not worth flaming others for! There I go with the play nice stuff again!:rolleyes: I love cruising and I love being on the boards to learn what I need to know to "do the right thing." I am an "almost newbie" trying to learn from you guys! Sometimes I feel like we are all an old married couple bickering just for the sake of nothing else to do (lol).;)

If you actually followed the trail, you would see that I had responded to someone ELSE who said it was tacky to hand out a tip and that they should be posted to the seapass account.. If you look at the line you quoted from me you would see that my statement about handing a tip and saying thank you was that "It is about as FAR from tacky as you can get":rolleyes:

I did actually follow the thread or trail as you call it and was seconding what you were saying

We are going on the Brillance in august and can't get the sitting we want. we dont eat lunch until 4ish and rccl want us to eat dinner at 6/6.30. This is impossible. We have come to terms with the fact we are stuck with the windjammer but the level of service in there is not the same as it would be in the restuarant. I hold RCCL completely responsible for this problem and plan to continue to try to change but my revervation now comes up there is no late sitting so I have no real hope. I plan o talk to the Matire on bard the ship but I am not sure why I should tip for a service I am being deprived of.

OMG I cannot believe you took so much grief for this!! I agree 100% - I do not EVER want to eat at early dinner. We eat lunch whenever we're ready ON VACATION, sometimes late, just like you. I would try, once on board, to change - just like you indicated. To you other judgemental know-it-alls telling this poster to suck it up and eat lunch earlier - :mad:. Many people prefer to eat late!

I don't think anyone said "Suck it up and eat lunch earlier." People just wondered how that person could accuse the cruise line of not accommodating them, when they choose to eat lunch way later than most people.

If we do not eat in the dining room at all on a cruise , using only Windjammer and Chops, and we tip there, why should we tip the dining room staff?
I personally wouldn't choose to skip the dining room, but as long as you leave a tip in each place you dine, you're doing the right thing. The money will be going directly to the person who provided the service for you -- what's unfair about that?

How would you feel about tipping if you worked 80-100 hrs/week and your salary without receiving any tips were $50/month?
Since tips ARE included, this is a mute point. When I was in college and waited tables, I cleaned up on tips. Every now and then I'd be screwed, but not often enough to make me look elsewhere for different work. For unskilled labor, waiting tables is good money.

We are going on the Brillance in august and can't get the sitting we want. we dont eat lunch until 4ish and rccl want us to eat dinner at 6/6.30. This is impossible. We have come to terms with the fact we are stuck with the windjammer

Being worried about an early seating on a cruise that is eight months away is a waste of energy, IMO. First, it's mind-blowing to me that the late dinner is full at this early date (must be SOME cruise!), but even so.....get yourself on the waiting list, and I'd be willing to bet that you'll get your requested seating.

Tracy

OMG I cannot believe you took so much grief for this!! I agree 100% - I do not EVER want to eat at early dinner. We eat lunch whenever we're ready ON VACATION, sometimes late, just like you. I would try, once on board, to change - just like you indicated. To you other judgemental know-it-alls telling this poster to suck it up and eat lunch earlier - . Many people prefer to eat late!

Everyone else is ON VACATION too! Maybe everyone else should change their plans to accommodate the 1 or 2 that don't want to eat at the time already set by the ship?

Yes many do prefer to eat late, myself included a lot of times, but I am not complaining because RCI won't accomodate my schedule. There are other options as has been pointed out such as 24 hour room service and often time, late night buffets so I'd say RCI is actually being quite accommodating. When catering to that many there has to be some compromises made somewhere.

How would you feel about tipping if you worked 80-100 hrs/week and your salary without receiving any tips were $50/month?

You can always have a choice NOT to work at this job and choose another one.

By the way I ALWAYS tip and tip generously on the cruise. I just don't like this particular argument. Noone forces anyone to work on the cruise where by the way room and board are free.

OK two points to make here. I agree with Tracy. Get yourself on a waitlist for a later seating. I have rarely seen that work out. If worse comes to worse you can always get switched the day you sail. I have only been assigned my prefered time once in all my cruises, which is late. I just deal with it at sailaway. I always eat at the late seating.

2. While here, in the US, many of us have the luxury of selecting another job in some of the countries the cruiselines recruit from there are not so many options for high paying jobs and a cruise job is very high paying, allowing them to make a living wage. So while they could just quit and go home it would put the family in a horrible position. It's not slave labor but it's so important that walking away is not really possible. Why do you think mothers would leave their children for six months at a time to work as a room steward? I am not someone who thinks the goal of my existance is to mother my boys. I like it and I love them but I also need some space (with them 24/7) and you could not get me away like that for anything. I am not talking about grown kids here.

I am not bemoaning the life of the cruise employee. I am stating that the level of choice people seem to think they have is probably overstated.

I am not bemoaning the life of the cruise employee. I am stating that the level of choice people seem to think they have is probably overstated.

However, one other way to look at it is that they are very fortunate to have the option of working on a cruise ship instead of having to endure the lower paying jobs in their countries.

Archived