Communications while onboard...

We have T-Mobile, which works great with free voice, data (internet), & texts for ports in Canada & Mexico, although at lower 2G or 3G speeds.  Also works great in most other foreign ports with free data & texts, voice calls are 20 cents/minute.

While out at sea, using RC ship's wifi for voice, data, or texts costs extra.

Question is while onboard out at sea, does RC have a program or app that allows us to text other family members onboard for free ?

Thanks,

4 hours ago, NavyCruiser said:

Question is while onboard out at sea, does RC have a program or app that allows us to text other family members onboard for free ?

Thanks,

They announced an app last year that would allow for this without buying an internet plan, but I haven't seen it.

The RC app I used aboard the Anthem earlier this year let you look at the Cruise Compass and make reservations without an internet plan, but I don't recall seeing a text feature, and it was buggy as hell.

It's free only on Allure at the moment and it's in a testing phase.  Coming soon to other ships.

It doesn't support push notifications right now.  The Royal app has to be open to see that you have a received a text.  If the phone is locked in your pocket you won't know you have received a text until you unlock your phone and go into the Royal app.

On Quantum calls and Harmony that use the RoyalIQ app it's $7.95 per device for the whole cruise.

8 hours ago, NavyCruiser said:

Yes, I remembered using it on the Harmony last year.  $5 for the entire cruise.  Didn't use it much then, but may need to use it this time on the Liberty since more family in more cabins traveling this time...

The app you used on Harmony (Royal IQ) is NOT available on Liberty. Also, the texting function within that app is $8.