Internet on Infinity

eurodl

We have had mixed results with the reliability of internet on many Celebrity cruises.  For the most part, I would be very surprised if you could stream anything.  We have tried streaming sports games with zero success.  On occasion you will see a post where someone says they could, but we have never been that lucky.  I think part of it depends on your cabin location.  There are signal boosters here and there throughout the ship - if your cabin happens to be near one you might get better reception than in other areas.  And I agree, on sea days forget about it - you'll be lucky to get anything faster than a snails pace.

Thanks for the replies.  Sounds like it might not be such a good idea.  Do they have an "internet cafe" where you can check emails?  We'll just download the movies and hope the TV's have a USB port.

We sailed on the Infinity in early May.  The internet quality ranged from tolerable to terrible.  To be fair, they were having technical issues for much of the cruise.  They were nice enough to give us a partial refund for our internet package.  I am leaving on another Celebrity cruise aboard the Solstice very soon and I sure hope the internet is better.  I plan to closely following the election results, bandwidth allowing.

As others have sated the Internet is variable.   Lots depend on location, weather, how much the ship is bouncing around and probably most important, how many others are using it at the same time.   

I'm a day trader so use a trading platform that streams data.  I am usually able to keep a connection, but at times I loose the connection every couple minutes and have to re-log in.  It doesn't use a great deal of data but requires a steady connection.   

I also often blog my cruise so do a lot of picture uploading to CC.   Often it takes me 2-3 tries to get a picture posted in the past using the iPhone app.   Anxious to see how the new software works uploading from the ship.  

Since this is a TA cruise we will have several sea days and I'm sure the network will be used heavily.  As long as my DH can check emails for business we can download movies.  Sounds like it might be slow but possible.  Can you purchase once on the ship or do you have to purchase ahead of time?

36 minutes ago, eurodl said:

Since this is a TA cruise we will have several sea days and I'm sure the network will be used heavily.  As long as my DH can check emails for business we can download movies.  Sounds like it might be slow but possible.  Can you purchase once on the ship or do you have to purchase ahead of time?

as others have said ... internet connection can vary from ship to ship ... and certainly based on traffic ... in your case, there is one other thing ... since it is a TA, you will be out in the middle of nowhere for a while ... so sometimes the satellite internet connections can be even more unpredictable than when sailing along a coastline ... I would also say the internet cafe might not be the most pleasant option .... you have to buy minutes, and often you just watch the minutes burn away while your computer "thinks" about connecting .... at least with an unlimited package you don't have to worry about running out of minutes

I have done one TA with 8 sea days, and had an unlimited internet package ... service was inconsistent, but adequate ... would have been unhappy if I had to pay by the minute though