TAJ dinner review - Reflection

ghstudio

Last night our small group ate the once a cruise Indian dinner in the sushi restaurant.  For those who want to search back on CC, we’ve had this dinner on a previous cruise and I was very positive about it.  In summary, our previous experience or our memory of it was far better than last nights meal.  Let me give a bit more detail about yesterday’s experience.  The food was tasty..IF..you like spicy.  I do but three in our party would have been ok with very mild spice.  In their opinion, the only dish they could eat was the biraini. At the other end of the scale, the pork vindaloo was, to me, medium spice.  To be complete, we didn’t specify how spicy we wanted the dishes....and I’m not sure if they asked.  We had enough folks to try everything on the menu.  The breads were the most disappointing part of the meal....really, not good and the dinner rolls on the table really didn’t fit at all.  We had no problem using our elite drink chits at the dinner which we used before 7:30.  

I’m sure the spiciness varies based on who is cooking....I guess your experience might be different than ours.  We probably won’t be doing the taj dinner again on cruises, at least for a while.

Edited by ghstudio

As the cruise went on, I discovered that almost all the dishes served at the TajX dinner appeared in the buffet.  I left the cruise feeling that Celebrity "ripped us off"...and that wasn't our experience on our previous TajX dinner on another ship.

If Celebrity wants to charge $49 a person for this meal, then it should be specially prepared dishes with a variation of spices.  Reflection failed on this.  Can't say if this is the new norm for TajX or it's just the ship and their lack of focus on making a special meal special.

Note: We paid $35 a person.....it was a very easy negotiation and even though it was one night only, the restaurant was far from full.

This is something I was interested in. I am on Equinox for the Dec 1 cruise.

I called about this, and they couldn't tell me anything about it.

What night is is offered, is there a way to get info on it pre-cruise?  I can't seem to find it to book ahead, but its listed on the App as available....

The night varies but you'll see advertisements for the dinner when you get on board...or ask any of the folks selling specialty dining.  I would not book in advance....We have done the dinner twice and the restaurant has not been full...you won't get locked out if you wait.  Additionally...wait a day or so and then suggest you'd like the dinner, but for a discount...they suggested $39, I said at $35 we have a deal and we booked it.  IMHO, the meal is really not worth the $49 they ask....it is not even close to Murano or the Tuscan Grill in food or atmosphere.  

It will be interesting to hear about your experience on the equinox.

• Like 1

We love Indian food and it better be well seasoned.  Love the exotic spices and  flavors, but we passed on the one night special dinner while on the Equinox in September.  $49 and we couldn't apply it against our five night dining package.  We have access to excellent Indian restaurants in our home town and the Indian fare on the buffet is adequate for our needs.

9 hours ago, ASell said:

Thank you very much for that.  I appreciate the help AND the wise in sight.

This is my first cruise in years.... and I am hyper excited.  

Given my recent experiences on Silhouette and Reflection, you won’t need to seek out anyone from specialty dining. They will hang out at the entrance to the Ocean View Cafe, asking people if they’re interested, and sometimes offering discounts. I love Indian Food, and always enjoy the Indian dishes in OVC at lunch. On Silhouette this summer, our TajX dinner was lovely. It was a level above the very good OVC fare, and included dishes not found there. I hope you enjoy both your cruise, and your TajX dinner😊

• Like 1