Difference in Signature Suites

CherryG

We booked a guaranteed Signature Suite (great special offer), and yesterday got our cabin.  I know they have different (SY, SZ, SS) ones.  Looks like they gave us a SS.  I can't find what the difference is.  We're very happy with the location, as it's mid-ship, but I wondered what is the difference.  Is it just location?

One difference is the shape of the balcony - since some of the cabins are located in the center inward jutting section of the ship - which one can see in photos and the deck plan because this is hard to describe in words.  That balcony is more angled than just straight across. From what I understand that center "inward jut" design is there primarily for wind displacement on the larger ships.

This means the balconies on these "inward jutting" section might face the wind more and are not as relatively private.  I believe  those are the SZ cabins. But others have reported they love this feature and that extra "jut" gives them more interior cabin space configuration. The advantage is they look more forward or backwards instead of just looking straight out. 

Signature Suites are our favorite sized cabin so you got a good one -SS is the best of the three we think. Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by OlsSalt

We were just on the Zuiderdam in a Signature Suite, one that "juts out".  It was recently remodeled and very nice (and roomy as well).  I liked the jut out section as we could see forward better, plus there was extra space in the room (vs the Signature next door).

We were on deck 8, obviously under the Lido buffet.  We have been under the buffet before and never a noise problem.  However, when the Z was recently remodeled, they added some tiled area in the jut out area of the Lido deck buffet dining area, so we could hear chair scraping noises at times.  The noise was not enough to bother us, but I wanted to let others know that it is there, in case they are very sensitive to noise (no noise during sleeping hours IMO).  

One more thing - we loved being close to the aft stairs (and elevators) as it made for a quick trip up one flight for a snack or coffee.

Just now, DaveOKC said:

Do you know which ships are larger?  We will be on the Eurodam in a few months.

On the Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam, Deck 6 midship is deeper than Deck 5. We were on the NA and Shrimpboat123 was nice enough to invite us down to his SS.  We were on 6 in an SS. My wife, being more observant than me, noticed the depth difference. It's not huge - maybe 18 inches to 2 feet - but the cost is the same.  We like Deck 6 for the balcony depth and the fact that there are passenger decks above and below you.

Despite the fact that I'm POEvil for Halloween, this is legitimate information.

POA-Evil-Avatar-Halloween.jpg.340b8c1962a4a5373aa8dd96532d13fe.jpg

2 hours ago, CherryG said:

We booked a guaranteed Signature Suite (great special offer), and yesterday got our cabin.  I know they have different (SY, SZ, SS) ones.  Looks like they gave us a SS.  I can't find what the difference is.  We're very happy with the location, as it's mid-ship, but I wondered what is the difference.  Is it just location?

Getting the SS is way better than the SY or SZ. In ships like the Westerdam and Noordam the SY and SZ cabins are directly below the Lido deck and in the early mornings it gets very noisy from moving the deck chairs and Lido Market equipment around.  The SS cabins are 2 decks below and much quieter. 

1 hour ago, POA1 said:

On the Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam, Deck 6 midship is deeper than Deck 5. We were on the NA and Shrimpboat123 was nice enough to invite us down to his SS.  We were on 6 in an SS. My wife, being more observant than me, noticed the depth difference. It's not huge - maybe 18 inches to 2 feet - but the cost is the same.  We like Deck 6 for the balcony depth and the fact that there are passenger decks above and below you.

Despite the fact that I'm POEvil for Halloween, this is legitimate information.

POA-Evil-Avatar-Halloween.jpg.340b8c1962a4a5373aa8dd96532d13fe.jpg

Glad to hear this as I am on deck 6 mid-ship.

19 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

Glad to hear this as I am on deck 6 mid-ship.

It was our first time in a Signature Suite. We'd been is Neptune Suites every time before that, and the PS twice. We were pleasantly surprised by the SS. I think it hits a sweet spot in terms of value. 

You're in a great location. Very convenient. 

Edited by POA1
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, POA1 said:

It was our first time in a Signature Suite. We'd been is Neptune Suites every time before that, and the PS twice. We were pleasantly surprised by the SS. I think it hits a sweet spot in terms of value. 

You're in a great location. Very convenient. 

We have booked the Signature Suites on 8 cruises and been upsold on 6 of these!  Of course the Neptune experience is nicer (cabin and the perks) but we are still happy with the Signature if no upsell comes along.  I agree that it is the best deal in terms of value.

1 hour ago, DaveOKC said:

We have booked the Signature Suites on 8 cruises and been upsold on 6 of these!  Of course the Neptune experience is nicer (cabin and the perks) but we are still happy with the Signature if no upsell comes along.  I agree that it is the best deal in terms of value.

Once you have been in a Signature Suite, it is tough to go back to just a Verandah cabin. Kind of like flying this new international Premium Economy Class on airlines, you never want to go back to coach or main cabin again and for the little bit more it costs it is a great deal in terms of value as well.