Cabbage Beach - Review - Solo Traveler View

OceanBlueWaters

Hello!  I hate to start a new thread on this, but I thought I would just give my take on this.

I read reviews that Cabbage Beach is one of the BEST Beaches in the Bahamas and not to be missed.  I was there on 10/25/18.

I took a cab (van) from the Port for about $7 bucks.  Cool.  I got there early (around 9:30) since I was one of the first people off the ship.  I got my chair for about $10 bucks and prime Real Estate.  Ahh.  I am traveling solo and was a bit unnerved at the men (including the man who sold me my chair) who came up to me and wanted to know my marital status and if I wanted to date them.  The Beach was empty and I couldn't wait until it filled up. Not good.  I did not feel safe.

I was approached by a man (Leo was his name I think?) and offered $20 unlimited drinks.  I signed up (my bad).  Leo disappeared.  He was also one who wanted to date me.  When Leo finally reappeared, I asked for my $ back and he said NO and said HELP YOURSELF.  The BOOZE IS IN THE COOLER!  Huh?  Be aware of who sucks you in.  The "reputable" guys will give you a wrist band.  But then again, I question that...

There are no restrooms there.  I walked FOREVER to use a restroom.  I walked down by Atlantis and finally went into to the Coral where I pretended to be a guest.  Super cool under water tank, but I dreaded the walk back.  LOL!  If you need a restroom...the ocean is your toilet!  AGH!

Bottom Line:  St. Pete Beach in the Gulf of Mexico was much better than this!  Not sure what the hype is all about Cabbage Beach.  I live on the Jersey Shore and used to waves.  However, the waves did not bother me, it was the uneven turf.  You could break a leg trying to navigate in/out.  There were people who were falling down everywhere.

I went to Cabbage Beach.  Hated the experience.  I left within 3 hours (1/2 that time spent finding a restroom).  I thought I researched enough...but apparently not.  My bad.  St. Pete Beach and Seaside NJ is 100% better than this.  I had dolphins jumping in front of me in St. Pete!  Pelicans swimming with me!  On the Jersey Shore, dolphins are spectacular with no harassment from vendors..

This Beach, I had harassment from the minute I climbed up that awful hill to purchase a chair, until I left. I get the vendors soliciting, it is their livelihood.  In my opinion, this Beach is totally overrated.

Side note:  To all who have their hair braided by random vendors:  They go from person to person with same comb and same stuff under their nails.  They now have stuff under their nails from previous person.  Who knows what they can transfer to you!  They do not wash their hands in between "clients"  EWW!  So be aware of hygiene when they want to braid your hair for a few bucks.  I always had my hair done (braided) on the ship in the salon. My choice.

Oh sure, the scenery is divine at Cabbage Beach, , but just be aware...

I hope this offered some useful information to everyone and specifically to a solo (female) traveler.

🙂

JMO

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sorry you had a bad day. We had access to cabbage beach with a day pass at RIU, and the ocean was relatively calm with easy access. The water was so clear, I dropped my sunglasses and managed to find them 10 feet below just by looking down. I knew about the restroom situation so booked the day pass (as I’m the only one in my family who treks back to the bathrooms at the jersey shore, most I know use the ocean). The vendors everywhere are aggressive, they kept trying to sell us unlimited alcohol, even though they new we had day passes with unlimited food and alcohol. We loved the beauty, and how great the water was for swimming without having to go far from the shore.

I've said it before, Cabbage Beach is one of the worst beaches by far.  I don't get why people recommend it.  Even staying at Atlantis, we would avoid that beach and go to the Cove beach.  Cabbage was wavy, full of pushy/rude vendors, etc.  It's an awful place.  With so many other beaches and places to go, I don't understand why anyone would actually go to Cabbage.

22 hours ago, BNBR said:

I've said it before, Cabbage Beach is one of the worst beaches by far.  I don't get why people recommend it.  Even staying at Atlantis, we would avoid that beach and go to the Cove beach.  Cabbage was wavy, full of pushy/rude vendors, etc.  It's an awful place.  With so many other beaches and places to go, I don't understand why anyone would actually go to Cabbage.

It depends on the day, we liked it more than cable at the Melia. We are used to the surf at the jersey shore, my kids were bored with the surf at cable, pretty, but not that much fun.