Sapphire Princess to SE Asia

lois1112

I am planning on taking this trip in Nov. of this year. I have heard (and read) negative comments about going on such a big ship and the ports they need to go to. Since this is the trip my vacation time will fit into, I do not have the option of another asia cruise and I have my heart set on this. Can anyone help relieve my fears?

There is a very comprehensive review of a Sapphire Princes Cruise of April 2005, on this BB. I believe that it does address the ports and that some are a bit distant from the cities. The person who wrote the review did not seem to be upset with this, however. If the particular November cruise is the only one that fits your needs, I would say that you need to decide if you really want to see the sights, no matter how far your ship might be from the cities, or if you want to skip the cruise.

On a recent Mexican Riviera/sea pf Cortez Cruise, we were quite a ways from two of the port cities and went in by shuttle. It did not diminish our experience and we saw the countryside. Everyone has a different opinion of what is a long distance to travel once you get off the ship--but if you really want to do the cruise, go for it! Afterwards, you can post a report on this board and let others know how bad/good your experience was. this is, of course, just my opinion. Ciao!! hmh

Thanks for the reply! I have read the review, and think I will do this cruise (I have had a deposit down for 4 months). I have a roll call posted and both other couples that were going cancled due to the distance from the ports. I just wanted more oponions before I made such a large trip! (I will be gone for 5 weeks)

Dear Lois,

I really agree with hmh -- go for it! We first cruised to Asia 18 years ago and have returned on land packages several times. We are booked on the Oceania's Nautica -- March 16 -- 31st -- Beijing to Hong Kong. You will love the sights of Asia. No one I know has ever changed their mind about a cruise when they found out how far a ship is docked from a port. We now are looking forward to seeing the changes in China from our very first time. We went back to Vietnam last year after seeing it for the first time 15 years ago.

Sheila

Hi Lois

For us, the unfavourable berths in SOME of the ports definitely affected our cruise but certainly DID NOT ruin our cruise. We had a trip of a lifetime, and so will you!

I always try to mention items that I wish I knew ahead of time myself. We work as well so I know what it is like to schedule in the right itineraries into the vacation timeframes. If there was a comparable itinerary on a smaller ship I would consider it. But if there wasn't I would take the Sapphire again in a heartbeat. She has a lot of strong points. The glass balconies were a huge plus.

I think you just need to plan a little differently and take this into consideration. Princess offered shuttles to take the worry out of the equation.

I would not cancel the cruise based only on this one factor, but you have to decide how important this factor is to you.

Have a great trip! :)

Lois,

Your concerns are completely understandable. But I just want to say that you should not miss Asia for anything. Don't let your worries about port distance diminish your excitement about the trip. I did my first voyage to Asia in 2004 and it surpassed all expectations I had. Granted, we were on Radisson which has small ships and docked close to most of the port centers. But one port we called at was 2 hours from Beijing and the drive was fabulous. Just look at it as an opportunity to see more of the surrounding areas. Have a great time. I'm jealous. I can't wait to go back!

Michael

thank you for all the replies. The trip is booked.! I can't wait (leaving Nov 5th)

Hi Lois, I came upon this post by chance and just wanted to add that I genuinely think you'll have a great time on this cruise and that you should not cancel - even though we were to be your cruisemates and cancelled:( .

I may not have said this in my email to you when we cancelled, but one of the main factors for us cancelling was because my hubby finds long bus trips hugely claustrophic and I felt that that aspect would impact badly on his enjoyment of the cruise because of the amount of travelling involved visiting places.

Previously we have either booked private excursions where long distances are involved so we are completely in control, or I go on the excursions on my own which isn't much fun as I want him to be there enjoying the moment with me. As you know, we have now changed to a much smaller ship with a slightly different itinerary to avoid those long drives because some of the original ports made private excursions virtually impossible to arrange.

Nevertheless, I wanted to add that Asia is a wonderful fascinating area of the world, and with the great mix of countries and places you'll be visiting, I promise you that you will have no regrets when you get home after your trip - just a lot of wonderful memories and a yearning to return.

You will have a wonderful time!:)

It's a shame we're not still sailing on the same cruise together.

Archived