Royal Caribbean Overnight Havana Cruise

NoBadDays0923

Hello! We are going to be in Havana on November 22nd until 1pm on November 23rd. We have a full day or tours booked on the 22nd, but not finding any short tours to do on the 23rd. Are we able to get off the ship that morning and just walk around on our own or do we need to have a tour booked? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Hi! I think we're on the same cruise. You don't need to book a tour. I was planning to book a tour the second day with Royal Caribbean, but I changed my mind. I've signed up to do a free walking tour with Strawberry tours (https://strawberrytours.com/havana) that morning, and then go to the Almacenes San Jose market that afternoon.

If you haven't done so, please check out our roll call and sign up for the Meet and Mingle.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/1/2018 at 12:09 PM, NoBadDays0923 said:

Hello! We are going to be in Havana on November 22nd until 1pm on November 23rd. We have a full day or tours booked on the 22nd, but not finding any short tours to do on the 23rd. Are we able to get off the ship that morning and just walk around on our own or do we need to have a tour booked? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

You can get off the ship on your own, and go as you wish.  (RCCL does not make it easy to understand that you can do this) We just returned a few weeks ago.

The relationship between the US and Cuba is still bizarre.  RCCL knows that passengers can walk out on our own, but they cannot officially advise us that.  They have to recite the proper customs and immigration protocols to keep it legal, but the reality is that everyone just looks the other way and waves you on.

If you are interested in a tour - whatever interests you,  I highly recommend you contact FerTours for your half-day excursion on the 23rd.  Fernando will happily work within your time frame and get you back on time. If you just want to drive around in an old car, they can do it. Walk-about, they can do it.  Specific points of interest, no problem. 

Have a great time!  We wish we were going back next week.

• Like 1

On 11/14/2018 at 8:57 PM, Almondtree said:

We are booked on RCL in April 2019 but will not be an overnight.  If you are doing any of the RCL excursions, I would really like to get your feedback as I don't know which to choose.  My email is pcohen48@gmail.com.

Thanks.

The RCCL shore excursions are overpriced and overcrowded.  There are many independent Cuban tour operators (legal to work with American citizens)  who will give you an individual tour catered to your personal interests - then you will truly be "in support of the Cuban people"

Why would you want to be stuck on a 50 person tour bus with a bunch of people you just got off the same cruise ship with?   Please consider using one of the independent Cuban tour operators.  I am partial to FerTours because we just had the most wonderful experience with them, but there are many who also have great reputations who are also deserving of your business. Delightful, warm personalized service, and at less than half the cost of a RCCL excursion.  And you will know your money is truly going to help the Cuban economy, not subsidizing RCCL with a kickback. Their personalised service is worth your consideration, and I really think you will be much happier!

I just came back from a Carnival Cruise to Havana. No issues using the "Support for the Cuban People" on the form.  Was able to exit the ship three times without any hassles. We simply walked off the ship and  hired a local car operator (1957 Chevy with air conditioning) on the street to take us (4 people) on a tour for $40 CUC/hr with an English speaking guide.   We also ordered tickets online for the Tropicana for $75/person and took a cab in front of the Ship for only $20 CUC each way.  Saved  a ton instead of booking through the ship which was $170/person.  Great time and worth the trip. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If you are a citizen of Australia, the rules for you may be very different, so please check with your embassy and/or the cruise line directly.   The laws are very strict for US citizens and may not apply to you.

I can see where it can be confusing - the legalese says one visa per entry. If you are on a cruise that calls at multiple ports in Cuba, perhaps this may be considered a single entry as long as the ship remains in Cuban waters. I really don't think anyone needs another visa for each stop on the same itinerary.  That's my interpretation - but please doublecheck the specific guidelines for your nationality.  It may be totally different. 

We loved Cuba, and hope you have  a great experience.   We can't wait to go back