Canned wine instead of bottle?

CruisegirlRICK

Hi everyone - 

I am happy to endure any and all canned wine bashing if someone can find me an answer 🙂    I am cruising on Liberty this week. Since I’m flying from Jersey, I thought bringing canned wine would be easier than bottles.  The brand I like makes 375 ml aluminum cans - 2 cans are equal to a bottle.  Do you think they will accept this as my wine allotment? I called customer service but unfortunately the rep had no idea. 

Thanks! Happy cruising!

My guess is, they probably won’t allow it. According to their policy, you can only bring non-alcoholic drinks in cans, and wine in a 750 ml bottle. I realize you are saying that the two cans will equal the same ml as one bottle, and I agree, but the port agents have been known to interpret the rules very literally. You can try, but just don’t be upset if they confiscate it. 

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2633/~/liquor-and-beverage-policy

I think you have two choices. Decant the wine from the cans and put it in a bottle, or just buy a bottle of wine. 

I understand your point about flying to the port. A good wine shop will have a cardboard shipping box with an insert specially designed for a bottle. 

I have taken wine all over the world using these bubble wrap containers. Just put the bottle inside and pack in the center of your luggage. They are less than a buck each. From Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Protector-Sleeves-Cushioning-Airline-Transport/dp/B074NBFY2D/ref=sr_1_5?s=office-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1541359189&sr=1-5&keywords=wine+shipping+box&dpID=41QjCYiiXWL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

I don't know the answer to your question, but I remember someone asking a similar one regarding wine that comes in cartons (like what the protein shakes come in).  I don't know if they were able to get a definitive answer, either, but you might try to search & see if they have any info to share.  I also don't remember how soon they were sailing, so they may or may not have gone yet.  We've only taken the standard 750ml bottle of wine.  When we fly to port, we go a day early, walk from our hotel to a store & grab a bottle to take with us.  I've never flown with wine in my luggage, but I'm sure tons of people do.  My best guess is that you're at the mercy of the security at port as to whether they will allow canned or cartoned wine.

The last time we cruised from Galveston, they didn't even want to see my wine. I am a creature of habit and happily rolled my cooler over to have them check my soda and wine. The agent there only checked my wine and cooler because I "hoisted" the cooler onto his table. He couldn't be bothered with checking it. I pulled both bottles out but realized that I caused myself more trouble because I then had to fit everything back in like it was. I carry my wine, sodas and red bull in my cooler. I also carry a bunch of snacks, chips, cookies, my corkscrew, yeti cup, etc all crammed into my rolling cooler. I probably look like the Beverly Hillbillies when I come through, nevertheless :).....

I think some ports are more focused on getting check-in done quick and painless, so they have relaxed a little on some of the strict rules and inpections. The man next to me walked to the table with his sodas and the guys waved him off too, said they didnt need to see the soda either. 

As matter of fact, the tables are off to the side and really goes by the honor system - there is no one there forcing you to go to the tables to check your stuff. This has happened the last 3-4 cruises that I have taken over the past year. Same with getting back on from ports - checking the liquor at the tables is very different from when I remember. It seems to be on the honor system too.

3 hours ago, Moviela said:

I have taken wine all over the world using these bubble wrap containers. Just put the bottle inside and pack in the center of your luggage. They are less than a buck each. From Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Protector-Sleeves-Cushioning-Airline-Transport/dp/B074NBFY2D/ref=sr_1_5?s=office-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1541359189&sr=1-5&keywords=wine+shipping+box&dpID=41QjCYiiXWL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

I'll 2nd this recommendation. I've flown all over the world with these in my luggage and never had an issue!

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 10:48 AM, hftmrock said:

People have had issues with 2 375 ml bottles so 2 cans could be the same but it depends on the port and the people at the time

YMMV

The rules actually say one bottle (per adult) UP TO 750 ML. So even if the bottle is smaller, you are still limited to one bottle per adult.