Cell phone use

linerode

I know this has probably been asked a million times but not finding exactly what I need to know. I have a Samsung phone and would like to be able to use my phone for wifi but not get charged for it trying to connect to phone. Is that possible? Once we get on land in St. Thomas, St Kitts, San Juan I would want to turn it so I'm not searching for wifi but would be able to use my phone. I do have an international package, but I didn't want it trying to do phone on the ship. Hope that makes sense. 

It is supposed to do wifi calling if you set the phone to Airplane mode and enable wifi calling.  You will see a phone with 3 arcs on an android device.  

I think it turns green when on a call. 

Unfortunately,  sometimes it gets kicked out.  I have a $150 cell phone bill for a 30 minute call on Vision.  Pay attention when using it.

Edited by John&LaLa

Hope I understand and get this right. On board the ship, I use WiFi calling to receive calls. I have Verizon and use the WiFi setting in the Cellular section on my phone so the upper left corner of my iPhone says VZW Wi-Fi. You need to be able to connect to ships WiFi to work (that’s your stream or surf packages). If I recall I also turn airplane mode on when on board to connect to ship service only and avoid the eternal search for a carrier while at sea. Your carrier probably has info on connecting to their WiFi service. 

I havent used international calling service so i cant help much there. I know every time we get into port I’ve gotten greetings from a local carrier w info on roaming fees and such. Don’t want to roam, then shut off that option in the cellular section of settings to avoid roaming fees. use your WiFi when you can connect to a local free WiFi like at a restaurant or some shops. Again, your carrier may be able to provide more information. 

I have a Samsung 8+ phone with Verizon.  I use the WhatsApp application with my phone on airplane mode to text and call via wi-fi, using the wi-fi package onboard I purchased, while on the ship.  In St Thomas and San Juan, they are USA territories and whatever domestic package you have in the US will work just fine there, per Verizon.  If you have an International package, in St Kitts, the International package would kick in.  This is also per Verizon.

On board, put it in Airplane Mode, then turn on Wifi and connect to the ships wifi (you will need to buy a package).

You must enable and setup Wifi calling while you are connected to your cellular provider.

I know that all the major carriers (ATT, T-Mobile, Verizon) support wifi calling.  Other carriers may or may not.

To use your international plan, when you are in port, take the phone out of Airplane Mode.  It will connect and use it like at home.

1 hour ago, SRF said:

On board, put it in Airplane Mode, then turn on Wifi and connect to the ships wifi (you will need to buy a package).

You must enable and setup Wifi calling while you are connected to your cellular provider.

I know that all the major carriers (ATT, T-Mobile, Verizon) support wifi calling.  Other carriers may or may not.

To use your international plan, when you are in port, take the phone out of Airplane Mode.  It will connect and use it like at home.

Thanks for adding the part about enabling wifi calling while you are still at home or otherwise NOT in airplane mode.

We were trying to help some friends get their phones to do wifi calling on a T/A and the option never comes available when already in airplane mode. 

Ship cellular is SUPPOSED to be turned off in port.

But check what shows at the top of your screen.  If it says Cellular At Sea or something like that, you are still linked to the ship cellular.

I will that Verizon offers an international trip planner online that you can put in ship and islands receiving cost and dialing information which is printable.

https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/trip-planner-tool/#/tripPlanner

Where calling instructions offer + in dialing the number + 1- (are code ) etc the + is obtained on a cellular phone keypad by holding down the 0 until + appears. I mis-interpreted that one cruise as meaning PLUS add the 1, no wants actual + sign.

I will also advise that Verizon offers something they call TRAVEL PASS. Basically if Travel Pass accepted you pay $10 to use your phone on your own domestic plan for 24 period at that island. If you don't use your phone at all no charge that day. However be warned if you turn on your phone in that port you will quickly get a message that you have travel pass and any texts you have waiting will be received and now you have used travel pass $10. So leave phone off unless you intend to use it.

My wife needs to call her elderly mother each day. Usually 2.99 minute Cellular at Sea while at sea. Then $10 Travel Pass most foreign ports in Caribbean anyway. Note since you each have a phone, we decide to activate only one phone, hers or mine and both use that one, use both phones and TWO Travel Pass charge obviously. You do have to pre-sign up for Travel Pass like you do for international. This is above international calling.

There is no charge for signing up to international calling, they are merely checking your account status so they know you are good for the billing aspect. No charge for Travel Pass either unless or until you use it. And know I see that it is included on some plans.

From Verizon page:

TravelPass lets you use your domestic talk, text and data allowances while traveling outside the US in more than 130 countries for a low daily rate.

Instead of paying per minute, per message, or per MB, you'll be charged a flat rate with TravelPass. The daily rate is:

• $5/day in Mexico and Canada (included with the new Verizon Plan Unlimited, Go Unlimited, Beyond Unlimited and Above Unlimited)
  • $10/day in other countries where TravelPass is available (5 TravelPass days per month included with Above Unlimited).

You'll use your minutes, messages and data allowances from your domestic plan. The daily charge only applies on days you use your service outside of the US, Puerto Rico and US Virgin Islands.

Note: TravelPass isn't available on cruise ships and non-covered countries. Visit our TravelPass countries page for more information.

George in NY

I use  Viber app for my WiFi calling...........Viber to Viber calls and texts are free Viber to non Viber calls are pennies. My elderly mom only has a land line, no WiFi and I was in touch with her every day on our recent two week European trip for less than $3. I put our phones in airplane mode and never took it off. We did sign up for Verizon Travel Pass but never used it.......just made our calls on the ship via their WiFi.

9 hours ago, SRF said:

Ship cellular is SUPPOSED to be turned off in port.

But check what shows at the top of your screen.  If it says Cellular At Sea or something like that, you are still linked to the ship cellular.

What's best in my opinion is to know how to manually select the cellular carrier on your phone. In the Caribbean I can roam on island-based networks (free on my plan) most any time I'm within sight of one of the islands.

Another benefit is that while T-Mobile doesn't support data on any shipboard cell phone system,  it costs $6 per minute if the phone even rings while I'm on the ship's towers.

Edited by Underwatr

On 11/4/2018 at 9:17 PM, linerode said:

I know this has probably been asked a million times but not finding exactly what I need to know. I have a Samsung phone and would like to be able to use my phone for wifi but not get charged for it trying to connect to phone. Is that possible? Once we get on land in St. Thomas, St Kitts, San Juan I would want to turn it so I'm not searching for wifi but would be able to use my phone. I do have an international package, but I didn't want it trying to do phone on the ship. Hope that makes sense. 

I have a Galaxy S9 from Verizon.

First you must setup with calling on your home area before using it.

This is just adding  your address  as this is needed for emergency calls.

When you use WIFI calling all you need to do is put your phone in airplane mode and turn the Wi-Fi on.

If you are using Verizon  you do not need any other apps to make calls and send or receive messages just dial or text away. Also you are not charged against  your account is using only using Wi-Fi mode.

I have used this many times in my travels.