Regal last Canadian Cruise of the season, 10/27-11/1

wishIwascruising

We just returned from the Regal on the last NE/Canadian Cruise of the season.  It was only a 5 day and we all (4) agreed that was too short.  We've done a similar cruise several years ago that was a 10 day.  This was our first cruise on the Regal.  This cruise was Sold Out.  We were on Aloha deck, inside cabins.  This was our first cruise at the Platinum Level.  I had heard so many negative things about the Regal, yes I agree, I really miss a Promenade deck but we got our 10,000+ steps on her everyday.  We tried to not use the elevators which was a good thing since that was the only place we ever saw a line.  We thought the food was very good but I know that's a personal thing.  We had Traditional dining every evening and usually only ate lunch & sometimes breakfast at the Horizon court.  We ate in the Crown Grill on Formal Night since we didn't want to bring evening clothes.  The dinner in the Crown Grill was excellent.  Our waiter was Marko and he was exceptional.  The food at the International Cafe is very good as well.  I thought the wait staff in the Horizon Food Court was the friendliest and most helpful of anyone on the ship.  We all remarked that our room steward was just average.  He didn't do anything exceptional.  Our bed configuration wasn't as we had requested on the Cruise Personalizer.  Our daughter and her husband in the cabin next door mentioned the same thing.  They asked for robes and it took several days to get them.  I had to remind the room steward that I liked the ice bucket filled everyday.  We aren't demanding people and have just always had better room stewards, even amazing on previous cruises.  Our wait staff in the Allegro DR was also lackluster.  We aren't wine or coffee drinkers yet every night we were asked if we wanted wine.  Service was often slow and one evening I didn't receive an appetizer I ordered.  I just went with the flow and when my entree came instead I just ate that.  The waiter would list the special items of the day and if we didn't order what he suggested he always seemed annoyed. 

We didn't take advantage of any shows.  This was a family cruise with our daughter & her husband and we were just happy to be together since we live on opposite coasts.  We spent every evening playing games either in the library (smallest library on any ship I've ever seen and no game room) or in the Horizon court after the diners had left.  The wait staff always brought us drinks and were so friendly.  One perk of playing games in the library is enjoying the beautiful piano music coming from the bar at the Crown Grill. 

We did have massages and I was pleased that we weren't bombarded with purchasing their potions.  They did offer them but I said "no, I don't think so" and that was that.  The hot stone massage was great. 

We only had 2 ports, not including NYC.  We had a wonderful tour in St John, NB with Go Fundy Tours.  Our guide was Diane who works with Alexei.  She met us 1 block from the ship at 10:00 AM and didn't return us until about 30 min before we needed to be back on board  It was a great tour focusing on nature and the Fundy Trail area.  She was so knowledgeable and made it a very enjoyable day. 

In Halifax we didn't get off the ship early since that's the day we had our morning massages.  We just walked around the town.   The Old Burying Ground Cemetery was so interesting.  The first burial was in 1749.  We also enjoyed the Public Gardens.  We didn't go to the Citadel as we had done that on a previous cruise.  We were pleased that even though it was late in the season, there was still some fall color in Halifax. 

Oh, I did enjoy the FREE Internet for Platinum guests.  We also got Soda Plus cards.  We are Cherry Coke drinkers and everyone else in our party enjoyed the Mocktails.  My daughter and I also enjoyed the Afternoon Tea near the Internet Cafe with all the tasty treats although the scones were very hard but the little tea sandwiches & cream puffs were so delicious. 

All in all, we enjoyed our time on the Regal.  It doesn't compare to our favorite ship, the Coral but that's like comparing apples and oranges.  If you have any questions, I'm happy to answer them.

how did you do on saturday/sunday with the rocking? some of the worst i ever had. 

were you in a sideways inside. I got to see one for the 1st time when embarking so that was quite an eye opener. do you normally go inside? i had been thinking that would be a great way to travel cheap in the future.