Helicopter and Dog Sled Tour

MSW117SL

We will be traveling to Alaska mid July and really want to do the Helicopter and Dog Sled Tour, but understand it gets cancelled often due to weather. We will be traveling to Juneau first and then Skagway. So we will book in Juneau first in case it gets cancelled so we can rebook in Skagway for the next day. So here are my questions....

Is there a better time of day to book to avoid weather cancellations? Is morning or afternoon tours better?

Do tours out of Juneau get cancelled more often than Skagway?  

Any suggestions or feedback on this Tour is greatly appreciated!  Thanks!  

We booked our dog sledding trip in Seward on the day of our cruise.  They recommended that we book in the morning and they'll try to reschedule later that same day if necessary.  It was raining, but we could still fly, however the afternoon flights were cancelled.  We were very lucky!

We figured that if our flight was cancelled, we'd try to book in Juneau and then Skagway.  On the day we were in Juneau, most (maybe all, I'm not sure) dog sledding trips were cancelled.  Not sure how Skagway turned out, but I think there are fewer vendors there. I'd suggest calling the vendor(s) and see what they suggest.  It's expensive, but so worth it!

IMG_2160.JPG

Ours was booked for Juneau in the morning.  It got cancelled, and nothing similar for the afternoon was listed with the cruise line.  So, we booked another one on the dock for the afternoon from the many excursion vendors.  It was a shorter excursion than we had planned, but it also cost us $400 less.  Then, we hiked the trails behind Juneau until the afternoon.  It was a great day,