cruise insurance

Pirate Coach

Ok so I have never bought trip insurance, but have been thinking about it for this upcoming cruise. My 5 year old is pretty fearless so it has me thinking it would be a good idea. Not really interested in insurance for cancellation or any of that. More interested in medical and evacuation insurance.

So my question is what are some good companies or places to look for cruise specific insurance for my upcoming cruise in December? Thank you in advance for your help. 

3 hours ago, dwayneb236 said:

Go to insuremytrip.com   Great resource for insurance. Just input your info and a whole lot of searches come back. What I use. 

I second that. If you have questions, call them for a courteous answer. I use them every trip!:classic_smile:

I also thought that I would never need insurance , this past Sept. I had to cancel our cruise about 24 hrs before sailing do to a medical emergency , I had insurance and was just reimbursed for 100% of my loss , I also thought that I was only protecting myself in case we needed medical evacuation . We will never consider booking a trip again without insurance !

• Like 1

Trick or work around.

In the US, you can only get comprehensive all included travel insurance.

However, the prices change on every $500 block of coverage. In other words, Trip Cost of $1 per person will cost the same as $499 Trip Cost per person. Trip Cost of $501 per person takes you up to the next pricing level.

Now, here’s the tip.

If you want to “self insure” trip delay, trip cancellation, etc. But you want the medical and evacuation,,,, but Travel Insurance and tell them your per person Trip Cost is $499, instead of whatever the full cost of the trip is.

This way, you get medical and evac coverage. You still get cancellation but it only pays what you said which is $499. Why do I say $499? Because as explained earlier there is no price difference between $1 or $499, so, you might as well get some coverage.

NOTE: You cannot do this if you need coverage for pre-existing medical coverage. Most insurance companies require full trip coverage to offer waiver for pre-existing coverage.

• 1 month later...
On November 6, 2018 at 4:03 PM, garyw2165 said:

I also thought that I would never need insurance , this past Sept. I had to cancel our cruise about 24 hrs before sailing do to a medical emergency , I had insurance and was just reimbursed for 100% of my loss , I also thought that I was only protecting myself in case we needed medical evacuation . We will never consider booking a trip again without insurance !

Who were you insured with?

Edited by HardyVA
Spelling

Go to tripinsurancestore.com 

I used to use InsureMyTrip but found the side-by-side comparisons easier to deal with and manipulate on tripinsurancestore.com

I like the interactive ability to be able to easily change parameters on the fly and quickly be able to evaluate the changes in premium that are brought about by doing so. 

At the end of the day, pricing is going to be identical from any consolidator you may choose. 

Try them both and select the one that works best for you.