How Does 3-Tier Internet Work?

knittinggirl

On the Veendam, I purchased the top tier Internet.  Didn't seem fast enough to stream, though they said top tier was for streaming.

How do the different tiers work?  

For example, the lowest level is for Email.  Does that mean other apps/internet browsing are somehow locked out?

The lowest level is for Social Media sites only and it is limited to the named social media sites. If you try to go to other sites, the system will force you to pay the difference to move you to the next higher level.

If you want to check you email, you will need to purchase at least the middle level.

8 hours ago, dfish said:

I thought the lowest one was Social Media and that you needed the middle one for email.

5 hours ago, ellieanne said:

The lowest level is for Social Media sites only and it is limited to the named social media sites. If you try to go to other sites, the system will force you to pay the difference to move you to the next higher level.

If you want to check you email, you will need to purchase at least the middle level.

Absolutely correct.  The bottom level is social media only.

Middle package allows emails and internet (ie. CC)

The highest package is for streaming.  HOw well it works really depends on where the ship is and satellite location.  

22 minutes ago, kazu said:

Absolutely correct.  The bottom level is social media only.

Middle package allows emails and internet (ie. CC)

The highest package is for streaming.  HOw well it works really depends on where the ship is and satellite location.  

Thanks, Jacqui!

3 hours ago, Amolin said:

If I want to use skype to make calls to stay in touch with family would I need the middle level or the highest?

I'm honestly not sure. Because the pricing was so ridiculous for what we wanted to do and my husband could get international roaming & data for less than half the price of the ship's internet plans, we used his phone as a hot spot for Skype calls when we were in port.

I have used the highest level for Skype.  I have never had any bad connections, even in the middle of the Atlantic.  However, these Skype calls were audio calls,  not Skype video calls.   HAL implies that the highest (premium) level is required to use Skype, but I have never tried it with the "Surf" level.   Skype uses specific port numbers for its connections, and Carnival's servers may block the initial port numbers that Skype uses, or it is blocked onboard,  based on the level of plan you purchase.   I also have used a private VPN with the premium level and it worked fine.

2 hours ago, knittinggirl said:

Does anyone know if we can download to Ipad videos using the middle tier?

Someone posted a scan of the packages with the bandwidth caps listed. Here's what someone posted in July from the Eurodam. The bolding is mine.

JUST OFF THE EURODAM AND THE INTERNET OFFERING WAS:

NEW INTERNET OPTIONS!!!!!

Three different options for a seven day cruise (assume it to be adjusted accordingly for longer cruises):

SOCIAL PLAN: Allows a daily volume of 200MB. Streaming and audio/video calling may be blocked.

$69.99 for 7 Days or

$14.99 for a 24 hour period

SURF PLAN: Allows a daily volume of 300MB. Streaming and audio/video calling may be blocked.

$99.99 for 7 Days or

$24.99 for a 24 hour period

PREMIUM PLAN: Allows a daily volume of 500MB. Supports audio/video calling and streaming where coverage allows

$139.99 for 7 Days or

$29.99 for a 24 hour period

Netflix shows are about 1 GB per hour for SD and 3 GB per hour of HD. I don't know if they throttle you or cut you off when you hit your cap.  Half a gig is a decent amount of data for a mobile phone. It would equate to a 15 GB/month data plan on a cell phone. (Most US Plans have a sweet spot of 5 GB/month now.)

Bottom Line: Download your files from home unless you want to eat up all your daily allotment on 30 minutes of SD video.

The post with the Eurodam data plans is here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2561928-charging-for-internet-usagewhats-your-opinion/?do=findComment&comment=55233558

13 minutes ago, knittinggirl said:

Thanks for the information.  I'd sure hate to get it partial downloaded and get capped.

You're welcome. I was interested for myself as we have a trip coming up in December. I know we can download Amazon Prime Video for offline viewing before we leave home, but we're more of a "books people" on vacation. Streaming music uses around 60 MB per hour, so I just take along about 80 hours of premixed music on an mp3 player. Who'd have thought that the iPod would be old-timey technology?