Bringing a case of wine onboard

reader135

We may acquired more wine than we can drink in our travels before boarding the QM2 to return home (too much time riding through wine country).  We'd love to be able to bring some home, but I'm reading conflicting things on here about how much we can bring vs what I see on the Cunard website.  We mostly want to bring the wine home as souvenirs vs. drinking it on board.   What are my options?  I know that when we bought liquor in the Caribbean they just gave it back to us in the end on another line.  If we bring too much wine on board Cunard, will they confiscate it or let us have it back at the end?

You are allowed to bring "a reasonable amount of alcohol on board" . Cunard do not define what is reasonable so  suspect a case or two is fine especially if when asked you say that you were hoping to take some home and are not therefore intending to drink it all on the cruise. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ToadOfToadHall said:

When you board, could you not just them to store it for you ? You have said you want to take it home anyway.

I didn't know you could ask them to store things.  This is our first time on Cunard, thanks.  

I suppose this is a dumb question, but how will you embark with it? We would like to bring on a case at embarkation, but it seems too awkward and heavy to just carry it on. Also, if carrying a case of wine, you would not be able to carry or pull anything else.  We are embarking on abmonth long cruise followed by six weeks land travel, so expect to have a lot of “stuff” when we embark in Ft Lauderdale. Thanks for thoughts on this. 

There are plenty of places to store a case of wine onboard. The closet just inside the door has a hanger rod at the top but no shelves and a wine case will fit suitably in the bottom.

Just me, but I'd plan to tote/carry the wine on myself to guard against incidents like droppage. A folding/collapsible trolley would be best but possibly difficult to source while on vacation.

FoldingHandTruck10059592_2_x.jpg

I frequently carry 10 bottles of wine & champagne onboard in a collapsible cooler that's large enough to accommodate the bottles standing up (but not quite large enough for a case due to internal cutouts for the wheels). No problems at security and it fits in the closet I've mentioned.

If there are two of you with some upper body strength, I also have used a canvas caddy such as this that accommodates six bottles. I got it from Amazon but now my order links to a caddy that only holds two bottles.

31806eedad2078d299d15acebb616425--wine-t

Edited by Underwatr
  • Like 1

It's not a problem.  You probably will want to carry it on rather than giving the case to the porter's.  You will need to declare whatever is left at customs.  The duty should be nominal.    

Should you decide that you can't wait before sampling your cache, it's free to drink in your cabin.  If you want a bottle to accompany your dinner, it's a $20.00 US corkage fee per bottle.  The sommelier will be pleased to pour and store it.  If you don't finish the bottle, they won't charge you twice for consumption on different nights.

While I've never brought on a case, I have taken and consumed four bottles aboard.  It gets heavy.  I've also brought Cokes aboard after Cunard went through a Pepsi only phase.  Coke is widely available aboard ship.  So, I don't have to do that anymore.

Enjoy your trip and that lovely case of goodies.

• Like 1

On 11/7/2018 at 3:35 PM, Bigmike911 said:

If you are a US citizen customs allows one liter per person duty free. Be sure you declare the amount you are bringing in, and prepare to pay the import duty on it to avoid having it seized. 

Thanks, this is the first time we'll be over after spending many years scrupulously only bring 1 Liter.  I was surprised at how low the duty is...why have I been restricting myself all these years?