Sol y Mar

c-leg5

3 hours ago, Guest 2000 said:

Please do tell us your impression when you return... is the beach swimmable? is it shallow and mucky? what is the scoop on snorkeling?  Thanks so much!! 

Yes I will. Although not planning on snorkeling there.

I found these reviews for sol y mar via Bodden tours:

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/AttractionProductDetail-g292019-d13534376-5_Hour_Visit_Bodden_s_Beach_Break_Bus_Private_Beach_Club_No_Beach_Vendors-Roatan_Bay_Islands.html

Edited by freakatck

• 6 months later...
On 12/31/2018 at 10:56 AM, c-leg5 said:

We recently returned from our cruise and wanted to give quick update on Sol y Mar since there weren’t many reviews when i was looking.

We decided to book through the cruise line, (unusual for us) since it was the least expensive option for two people. We ended taking the transport-only option and then did PAYG, instead of the AI or the adult-only section which included drinks.

Transport was fine -  it is a relatively short trip from the pier at Coxen Hole. There was a driver and a “guide” for our bus group. There were a number of buses going to the same location due to the different packages. On arrival our group was allocated a “server” and an area of the beach. The resort is large and didn't feel overcrowded. I am not one who likes to be “herded” in a group but after an initial feeling of unease it really turned out to be OK! The server worked very hard and service was good.

The sea was fine for swimming in. There were a lot of broken shells and I preferred to wear water shoes but then I usually do, I am sure most people didn’t bother! There were plenty of add-on activities available, snorkeling, blow-up swans for little ones or families , kayaks, flyboard, paddle boards, massage but we just relaxed. There was loud music but it didn’t bother us and every hour or so they had a group dance session for those that wanted to but no pressure. We enjoyed the fact there were no vendors and we were able to read in peace.  

I have read reports of flies but i sprayed (as I always do on Roatan) and had no problems. The biggest negative for me, was the lack of personal shade. Our section had no palapas or umbrellas. My lounger was initially in the shade of a “young” palm tree and we moved as the sun moved but eventually there was no protection and I became uncomfortable. I took a walk around the resort and found most of the eating areas were shaded but all seats were taken. Eventually we dragged the loungers back a considerable distance, but still with a view of the ocean to an area that was much more shaded and noticeably cooler. It took a while for our server to find us, now we were outside “our area” but it was fine once we caught his attention. I think as the resort matures this may be less of a problem. I still wish that umbrellas were available but I would move sooner next time - my husband was fine but i don't do well without shade.

Overall i thought it was good value for the money, vendor-free, convenient location close to port. Any specific questions I will try to answer.

On 12/31/2018 at 10:56 AM, c-leg5 said:

Thanks for this review!  This was through Royal Caribbean?  Also, the lounge chairs were included, but umbrellas were not?  Our group is currently looking at this excursion and we're also confused that the cruise duration says 4 hours, but then the beach time also says 4 hours.  What was your experience?

Thanks so much!

On 11/6/2019 at 6:35 PM, kellyclayt said:

Thanks for this review!  This was through Royal Caribbean?  Also, the lounge chairs were included, but umbrellas were not?  Our group is currently looking at this excursion and we're also confused that the cruise duration says 4 hours, but then the beach time also says 4 hours.  What was your experience?

Thanks so much!

Yes, we booked the basic beach pass through Royal with PAYG food and drinks. 

Loungers were included. I don’t recall seeing any umbrellas only palapas (included but limited) and natural palm tree shade. This was my problem although we had shade initially from the palapa near the shoreline, the sun moved. I was fine once we moved back under the palms but you are further from the water.

Royal offers several excursions including different activities and food packages and so there are several buses leaving. The resort is very close And convenient to Coxen Hole, maybe 10-15 minutes. I don’t remember exact timing at the resort but I want to say it was longer than the advertised time. When we arrived we were assigned a group leader (waiter),  had a brief orientation and told our time for meeting up for bus back. I am not sure if you could negotiate a different bus if you wanted to leave earlier/later since we were fine with the arrangements.

I would happily return in the future and would do PAYG again. There were some daily specials on a blackboard in addition to the menu and my husband drank reasonably priced beer. Menu prices were not budget-priced but certainly not super high, since it was a private club I had expected this. Certainly appreciated the space and absence of vendors.

Since we visited, Bodden has now started a beach shuttle to SolyMar which is sometimes cheaper than the price through the cruise line.

Edited by c-leg5