Wind Spirit disembarkation and day room

salmn

When Wind Spirit returns to Papeete, what time do they start disembarking on Saturday a.m.?  What is the latest time passengers can leave?

Looking for a day room in Papeete-- any suggestions? ( Did not take the one at the Intercontinental offered by Windstar as it was overpriced and not included in our cruise) 

They'll get everyone off ASAP. We refer to this as the "so good to have met you, you can leave, NOW" moment. They'll let you sit in the lounge for awhile, but will begin to circle closer and closer and then vacuum under your feet. The intention is clear - you need to leave. Hotels are never included in WS cruises, so I'm not sure what you meant by the end of your posting.

We have a long wait in Papeete before our flight - from about 9am on day one and then our flight leaves at 10:40pm on day 2. Our TA booked us 2 nights via WS (as at the point it was cheaper with the included transfer. I'm not sure exactly what we're getting but it should be either an immediate room when we arrive or we can stay until we leave for the airport, or both.

Edited by milepig

I should have said "regularly offer" those are special incentives. That having been said, most of the 2019 itins. have this "special offer". The prices for those cruises seem to be a bit higher in general, and airfare can be cheap (competition has hit big time) so I suspect with WS bulk pricing this may not be costing them all that much to offer.

I can't exactly answer your question.

They will start disembarkation as quickly as possible after the ship is cleared. Then you depart by group, and you'll get a time slot in your cabin the day before. They move quickly so I'd think an hour of maybe 90 minutes after they begin and they'll be finished. It certainly won't be hours. The determining factors are:

did they arrive on time - in Papeete likely so, our itin actual overnights there before disembarkation.

did they get cleared proptly - in Papeete likely so, since it isn't like they'll have an elaborate process of passport check.

Independent travelers will be invited to depart at any time one the process begins,  but the ending time will be with or shortly after the last scheduled group, which as I said will not be very long after disembarkation begins.

Hint to those who desire or need to hurry. There is no actual requirement to turn over your bags, you can keep them in your cabin and disembark with them - just remember that there are no lifts on the Spirit.

Edited by milepig

Le Meridien has day rooms according to a previous post (that I can't find!). The Intercontinental has them but you can't book until 2 weeks prior and depending on availability. I booked an Airbnb with a view and a pool in Papeete that also offers transfers. Paid for an overnite- seemed like a decent alternative to a hotel.

Edited by Petoonya

Found the post for you Salmn. Le Meridien is in the process of acquisition by Sofitel so don't know if this has changed but sure sounds good.

•  

I thought I'd post this update on my question about day-use hotels in Papeete. I found that the (Mariott) Le Meridien offers a day-use room and use off facilities for about USD $200. Following is the email I received about this:

On Sep 10, 2018, at 6:04 PM, Jeanne ALEXANDRE <stagiaire@lemeridien-tahiti.pf> wrote:

Ia Orana Glenn,

Thank you for your e-mail and your interest in our hotel.

I am happy to confirm that we do offer Day Use room available from 9:00 am to 6:00 pm on your requested date, please find the rate below :

• Day Use room (run of the house) : 20 520 xpf including taxes

Should you wish to go ahead with the reservation, please let me know and I will be happy to make the arrangement on your behalf. I will need your credit card details in order to guarantee the reservation. Please fill up the form attached and send it back to me at your earliest convenience

Kindly note that the reservation can be cancelled 4 days prior to your arrival without penalties. If you cancel the reservation 3 days before, 1 night room and tax will be charged to your credit card. In case of no-show or cancellation on arrival date, full stay will be charged.

Please let me know if we may be of any further assistance.

Best regards,

Jeanne ALEXANDRE

Revenue & Reservations Department

T: 689-40-47-07-26 | F: 689-40-47-07-28

S 17° 38’ W 149° 36’

LE MERIDIEN TAHITI

BP 380595 Tamanu, 98718 Punaauia - Polynésie Française

Lemeridien.com/tahiti

The place that we are staying as I say offers pick up at the port and drop off at airport. And will even stop at grocery store to allow us to get fixings for meals. I don't know if you are leaving soon but we cruise on 11/26 and back 12/15 so can report.

Hi salmn. You're supposed to disembark by 8:30 A.M. Didn't attempt to extend our stay on board. Ground transfers are expensive. And remember, you need transfers to the airport late in the evening. So we rented a vehicle with Hertz, the city rather than airport location. Hertz will pick you up at the ship and take you to the Hertz city office for N/C. Then you can drive yourself to the airport and drop off your rental vehicle for no additional charge. Don't rent the vehicle with unlimited mileage. The zero mileage allotment is a whole lot less expensive and although you will pay extra for every km you drive, you're not going to drive a whole lot of kms. We stayed at Le Meridian after our cruise. Yes you have access to a shared day room for no additional charge. Stay there as long as you like prior to departure to the airport. Besides, there is a very nice beach adjacent to the hotel, a nice little strip shopping center adjacent to the hotel with a nice restaurant and French bakery, and a wonderful Tahitian dance show (but don't recall the nights of the show in relation to when the ship returns to Papette). Good luck!

Edited by skitrips

• 3 weeks later...

The procedure on the Spirit is:

they want the bags outside your door by 6:30 (or maybe 6:45, can’t temember) not the night before as has been out experience in the last. Breakfast began at 6:30 so we got up threw our bags out and headed for some brekkie. 

Some people were let off earlier, but the transfer to the Sofitel (aka Meridien) was at 8:30. We were called at 8:15. Bags were ready to be claimed and off we went. The group filled a large bus and van. Most were day guests before their evening flight, and they seemed pleased to spend the day swimming and lounging. We were one of only a handful who were staying the night and we had a small group having a light dinner (tapas at the pool bar from 5-7) and the next day the hotel has a fairly priced shuttle into town. We took it and just bummed around to waste time.  By our 7:45 pickup for the airport we were the only ones left. I wish we’d gone to Chez Remy next door for dinner the first night but we were still full of WS chow and were dated. 

Our itin had Moorea last, and a bunch got off there and took the ferry to catch the flights that night instead of going on to Papeete, getting home a day or two early. 

Edited by milepig