Timing for San Gervasio?

carolina_yankee

We will be in Cozumel on Feb 5 on the Disney Magic, so probably at the Punta Langosta pier?   It's our first visit, and a shorter cruise, so we want some schedule flexibility and history/culture exposure. Probably not a beach trip this time. Schedule is 7:30 - 5:45.

We're thinking about a photo walk tour with Tati and then taking a taxi to San Gervasio. We like history, we know San Gervasio has its limitations, but it will meet our needs for this trip. How much time should we allot for San Gervasio to really see the place (I think they have tour guides) and take some photos?  Do taxis wait or are they easy to call?

And, does it make sense to visit in the early afternoon (photo walk is AM about 2 1/2 hours) given heat and crowds? 

Alternatively, Disney has an adults-only exception of 4.5 - 5 hours with a 9 AM start that includes San Gervasio (1 hour),  Discover Mexico, and The Mayan Cacao Company. Discover Mexico may be too touristy for us and we're worried we'll be rushed through San Gervasio, so considering DIY.

Or would it make sense to put together 2-3 options through ToursPlaza, such as San Gervasio, El Mirador and something else?

Advice? Thanks!

Dirk

2 minutes ago, carolina_yankee said:

We will be in Cozumel on Feb 5 on the Disney Magic, so probably at the Punta Langosta pier?   It's our first visit, and a shorter cruise, so we want some schedule flexibility and history/culture exposure. Probably not a beach trip this time. Schedule is 7:30 - 5:45.

We're thinking about a photo walk tour with Tati and then taking a taxi to San Gervasio. We like history, we know San Gervasio has its limitations, but it will meet our needs for this trip. How much time should we allot for San Gervasio to really see the place (I think they have tour guides) and take some photos?  Do taxis wait or are they easy to call?

And, does it make sense to visit in the early afternoon (photo walk is AM about 2 1/2 hours) given heat and crowds? 

Alternatively, Disney has an adults-only exception of 4.5 - 5 hours with a 9 AM start that includes San Gervasio (1 hour),  Discover Mexico, and The Mayan Cacao Company. Discover Mexico may be too touristy for us and we're worried we'll be rushed through San Gervasio, so considering DIY.

Or would it make sense to put together 2-3 options through ToursPlaza, such as San Gervasio, El Mirador and something else?

Advice? Thanks!

Dirk

First of all, all great options and sounds like you understand the limitations of San Gervasio. Although not a must-do, first time thing to do, we did enjoy our visit there several years ago. 

I would say the ruins will take you 30 mins minimum to 90 mins max,  if you include walking to the ruins away from the main plaza. Many people just visit the main area and leave. Be sure to take water and bug spray as you will be walking in the jungle. there are guides but I am not sure if they go to the outlying ruins - we just did a self-guided tour - they give you a printed sheet. Be aware, unless it has changed, you pay an entrance fee in two portions.

We have enjoyed the photo tour with Tati too, several years ago! I think she has changed the tour now from recent reviews. I don't know if you are doing the group tour, but she does also offer custom tours which could include San Gervasio, so may be something to consider and discuss with her.

We have also toured many times with ToursPlaza and highly recommend, especially for a first time visit. It was my first tour with them that changed my whole perspective towards Cozumel, after two initial visits where I just did DIY! However their minimum rental time is 3 hours. I am not sure their fee would be worth it just to use them for a trip to San Gervasio. To drive all round the island is probably 60 -90 minutes. If you consider this option best to contact Eduardo to discuss timing options. Alternatively save that for another visit and stop and take in the sights and have a cold one!

if you just want transport to San Gervasio, take a taxi from dispatch at Punta Langosta (or from where you finish with Tati, she will probably help you) and tell them you want to go to San Gervasio, with waiting. Have the taxi wait for you and pay when you return. Ride out to ruins is probably about 20 minutes each way.

Thanks so much for the tips! Good to know on the timing for San Gervasio - 90 minutes sounds good. We definitely want to the paths.

Thanks also for the feedback on Tati’s tours. I can email her to see what her options are.  She’s also on AirBnB offering San Miguel walking photo tour instead of the other options I saw listed on her website or FB page.

If something happens with Tati’s tour, it sounds like we could just book a highlights tour with ToursPlaza and ask for enough time at San Gervasio. The extra hour cost wouldn’t be so extreme.

Looking forward to our first visit to Cozumel!

Dirk

1 hour ago, carolina_yankee said:

Thanks so much for the tips! Good to know on the timing for San Gervasio - 90 minutes sounds good. We definitely want to the paths.

Thanks also for the feedback on Tati’s tours. I can email her to see what her options are.  She’s also on AirBnB offering San Miguel walking photo tour instead of the other options I saw listed on her website or FB page.

If something happens with Tati’s tour, it sounds like we could just book a highlights tour with ToursPlaza and ask for enough time at San Gervasio. The extra hour cost wouldn’t be so extreme.

Looking forward to our first visit to Cozumel!

Dirk

Sounds good! I looked at Tati’s current website. We took her original (first)  tour years ago but i think the  street option would be interesting. 

You can certainly use ToursPlaza for your San Gervasio tour we did that also several years ago on one of our early tours round the island. 

I see Pablo de Maiz, (which can be visited independently) is also an option with Tati and isn't far from San Gervasio. I haven't been there and am waiting to read reviews, am interested in taking grandkids.

• 2 months later...

We're traveling with friends, so our planning is still in flux.

how would we work the logistics for a San Gervasio visit and a chocolate tour? What's the best place to go for a chocolate tour?  KaoKao I've seen recommended.  Could we negotiate this with a taxi when we get off the ship (might need about 90 minutes as SG), or should we book through ToursPlaza, even if it's only 2 stops.

We are four people on the larger size, so not sure a Taxi for 4 would be as comfortable as a larger van.

Thinking also of just doing something the through the cruise ship that hits some cultural stuff, but like the idea of being more on our own timelines.

Dirk

2 hours ago, carolina_yankee said:

We're traveling with friends, so our planning is still in flux.

how would we work the logistics for a San Gervasio visit and a chocolate tour? What's the best place to go for a chocolate tour?  KaoKao I've seen recommended.  Could we negotiate this with a taxi when we get off the ship (might need about 90 minutes as SG), or should we book through ToursPlaza, even if it's only 2 stops.

We are four people on the larger size, so not sure a Taxi for 4 would be as comfortable as a larger van.

Thinking also of just doing something the through the cruise ship that hits some cultural stuff, but like the idea of being more on our own timelines.

Dirk

Your tour with ToursPlaza is completely customizable  so you can visit wherever you want and the driver will wait for you. It is not a standard “tour” with add-ons so I am not sure i understood your “extra hour” comment. It is best to tell Eduardo the type if activities you are interested in, in advance then the driver will have a map when you get in the car and will go over what you want to do and suggest best route. I definitely think you would be more comfortable in a taxi van.

I have only been to KaoKao (the original chocolate factory) so cannot comment on the other. You can take a taxi there from the port but if you want to do the tour it is best to pre-book so you have a time slot as tours only run at certain times and are sometimes full. ToursPlaza can pre-book, sometimes at special times, to make best use of your time. Pueblo de Maiz has some Mayan exhibits (food, dance rituals, culture) and although i havent been someone recently gave a good review as i had wondered if it was too touristy.

San Gervasio, Pueblo de Maiz and Kaokao are all off the same road and any  or all would be easily combine able. I wouldnt suggest doing all three because of the taxi waiting time you would be paying for. Kaokao is on the outskirts of San Miguel and could be reached by taxi but the other two would definitely need to have a taxi or private driver waiting.

have you decided to take a private tour instead of the photo tour - I don’t  know what form of transport Tati uses, we only did the walking tour?

I think you would definitely get a more personal tour with ToursPlaza than the ship and if you decide Mayan cacao is a better fit for you (I dont know if tours are timing restricted there - check with Eduardo) you could easily do SG, quick photo stop tour of east side, El Mirador etc and round to Mayan Cacao.

Re-reading: if you only want SG and Kaokao you could take the taxi with waiting to SG and have them drop you off at Kaokao and arrange independent taxi back to ship after factory. However, i would definitely contact chocolate factory first to determine tour times because I don't know how their schedule runs nowadays - they were quite new when we went.

Edited by c-leg5

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice and information - I was MIA for a couple of weeks due to kidney stone issues, which have resolved themselves in time for the cruise. Phew!

So, current plans: After being given permission by my group to develop cultural options, I was then out-voted 3-1 for Nachi Cocom, so that is where we will go. Now I know what to do the NEXT time we stop at Cozumel!

Dirk