What identification do I need if not using a passport?

Samantha471

2 hours ago, SRF said:

However, later it states 

I can see confusion at check in.

I would bring at original or notarized copy.

BTW, I recently ordered two new original BCs through Vital Chek.  It took maybe 10 minutes to complete the request.  A week to get them, and cost $45 (second one is cheaper, so I got two).

It is best to bring the original birth certificate but it is also helpful to remember what alternatives are acceptable. If I were between the proverbial rock and a hard place (and I have read of several posters in that position) I would rather show up with a copy of my birth certificate than with nothing at all. I did a quick search on the Royal board and found a few instances of birth certificates being faxed to the port, thereby saving the cruise. These days it's very easy to have a picture of all your documents saved to your phone/cloud so you have access to them as needed.

I definitely recommend cloud storage of things like copies of your birth certificates, marriage license, passports. It's saved me a lot of time when getting the document numbers for online check-in.

One thing to note, with RCCL at least, the new online check-in process using the app is much more simplified with a passport. The app scans the passport when you complete online check-in, and your boarding pass is on the app and reflects that. I know that some terminals are using RFID scanners to check your passport as you move through the line, no person has to check you in.