Google Sheets for communication

kilpa482

FWIW on the Symphony TA, I was unable to get iMessage to work. However our group was able the share a spreadsheet via the google sheets app and use it as a message board. It worked on the “free” non paid WiFi connection as long as the app was already on the phone.

16 minutes ago, Florida_cruisers said:

I am interested to hear how this works given that we will be cruising with almost 20 people on our next cruise. 

So you download the google sheets app and then what?

I created a google sheet (spreadsheet) and shared it with everyone we where with and then everyone is able to type on it like a blank piece of paper. It wasn’t the best but it helped. I’ll try add a screen shot

90955538-9D19-4BE1-A32A-09225AEDCFD1.png

• 1 month later...
On 11/11/2018 at 12:10 AM, kilpa482 said:

FWIW on the Symphony TA, I was unable to get iMessage to work. However our group was able the share a spreadsheet via the google sheets app and use it as a message board. It worked on the “free” non paid WiFi connection as long as the app was already on the phone.

I wan't to know more about the non paid WiF! 

I always thought the only way you could get ANY WiFi was to purchase a package.  ??

7 minutes ago, Host Jacquelyn said:

To anyone who plans on trying this in future - I would love to know whether Google Docs or Hangouts also works.

I've seen reports that Hangouts works on Quantum class ships and Harmony.  However, there's no way to know when they will plug that hole.

2 hours ago, clean1owner said:

I wan't to know more about the non paid WiF! 

I always thought the only way you could get ANY WiFi was to purchase a package.  ??

You can connect to the ships wifi signal for free, this enables you to use thier app. You generally need to pay to get past the firewall and connect to the outside world, however some things seem to be able to get by. Im not an IT guy but im guessing certain ports are open to allow the app to work which lets some traffic get by. 

1 hour ago, kilpa482 said:

You can connect to the ships wifi signal for free, this enables you to use thier app. You generally need to pay to get past the firewall and connect to the outside world, however some things seem to be able to get by. Im not an IT guy but im guessing certain ports are open to allow the app to work which lets some traffic get by. 

So what can you do with their app? Is there a real benefit to having it?

About the only good thing about the app, is you can keep track of your charges. 

Many things on on the schedule were unreliable.  At one point, it showed three different movies playing at the same time.  Some shows were listed, without listing the venue.  

My favorite was that drivers and guides could not lift you out of the coach. I never did find where to find the coach to the late night comedy show. 

100A2E12-E4D8-4872-9197-B0A4FAF3476E.png

• Like 1