SIMPLE QUESTION

susan1957

25 minutes ago, susan1957 said:

Simple question, I'm sure there is a simple answer... Could someone explain what Norwegian means when they say canadian dollar "AT PAR"...CAUSE it sure doesn't work out to PAR  when I work it out 😞 ...such B.S.

"

Means "equal to face value." maybe a little more info for in what context it was used would help as I have never seen that on the NCL site.

Relax@Sea

Here is a screenshot of the page on NCL's site.  I am only guessing but I think you can't see this info because you are located in the US.  Because of your location you only see the actual ncl.com website.  Here in Canada when I go to ncl.com, I am redirected to ncl.com/ca.  NCL has location specific content for us.  Other sites are available for other countries around the world as well.  Here is the actual address for the page so if you use a VPN service check it out:

https://www.ncl.com/ca/en/cruise-deals/canada-at-par

NCL has even changed soda to pop on the site because that what it is referred to as here in Canada.  They swapped out every instance of soda and replaced it with pop.  There are a couple times where it isn't used in grammatically correct manner but at least they tried. 🙂 

Hope this helps...

image.thumb.png.d3b730dcc6de3eeadbff89b2f30788cd.png

There are very few cruises which really end up being "close" to CAP pricing.  For me, it doesn't usually work out well but every so often, I look at the pricing and there really is a discount of close to 25%, haven't seen the 30% discount  in a long time but... I always check, you just never know.  

I have a US bank account and a US credit card so it has little affect on my actual cruise choice but it's nice when it does  work out in my favoour. 

I will add that I don't consider that NCL owes us Canadians anything so, calling CAP bs is, well, uncalled for IMO. 

Edited by All-ready2cruise

52 minutes ago, pisenor said:

Relax@Sea

Here is a screenshot of the page on NCL's site.  I am only guessing but I think you can't see this info because you are located in the US.  Because of your location you only see the actual ncl.com website.  Here in Canada when I go to ncl.com, I am redirected to ncl.com/ca.  NCL has location specific content for us.  Other sites are available for other countries around the world as well.  Here is the actual address for the page so if you use a VPN service check it out:

https://www.ncl.com/ca/en/cruise-deals/canada-at-par

NCL has even changed soda to pop on the site because that what it is referred to as here in Canada.  They swapped out every instance of soda and replaced it with pop.  There are a couple times where it isn't used in grammatically correct manner but at least they tried. 🙂 

Hope this helps...

image.thumb.png.d3b730dcc6de3eeadbff89b2f30788cd.png

NCL has even changed soda to pop on the site because that what it is referred to as here in Canada.  They swapped out every instance of soda and replaced it with pop.  There are a couple times where it isn't used in grammatically correct manner but at least they tried

So I would presume that NCL does not have a SODA (soft drink) Package in Canada -

but they do have a POP package for you cross borders soft drinkers ! LOL !

On a more serious side - does it cost more Canadian loonies to purchase a NCL cruise without PAR ?

It would appear to be that they are giving Canadian cruisers a real break (discount) against

the equivalent US Dollar - up to 30% !

Edited by don't-use-real-name
add data

When I tried to do a booking thru the CA site it did not look like it was par but then reading further it said only on selected sailings and I got to a area that I can request which sailings are par. So there might be a sailing at par but either you have to compare all of them or maybe you can request that they send you the sailings that are at par.

Just now, don't-use-real-name said:

On a more serious side - does it cost more Canadian loonies to purchase a NCL cruise without PAR ?

It would appear to be that they are giving Canadian cruisers a real break (discount) against

the equivalent US Dollar - up to 30% !

The idea is that the Canadians could buy a cruise at the US price but in Canadian dollars and not be surprised by the high exchange rate of almost 30%. It's sitting at about 24% right now, but I don't know how much Canadians actually save. It helped sell cruises that went up in price for no reason other than the exchange rate at the time. It really was just a "location" discount like the ones some states and countries get.

They had to close a loophole a few years back and limit the amount of OBC you could buy at par. NCL was letting people buy OBC "at par" and then refunding the unused portion in USD. thereby giving out much more than just the fare price difference they were using as a promo. I think they either limit the amount of OBC or or refund it in CAD at the rate at the end of the cruise, so the person takes some of the risk too. 

As I said, there aren't that many cruises where Canadians will see an actual savings, however, here's one that I just checked: 7-Day Southern Caribbean from San Juan on NCL Dawn.  

Canada at Par price:  $1549 pp, regualar US price which qualifies for other promos including FAS, $2074 pp. my bank exchange is $1572. IMO, that's not too shabby and there are other cruises that off similar, if not better exchanges.  I almost booke one that offered a savings of $720 CAD... approx. $550USD. 

I understand that NCL buys CAD when our dollar is at it's lowest exchange so I'm sure that not losing that much but, as I said before, they don't owe us anything and I don't know of any other cruise line that comes close to this pricing difference. 

1 hour ago, Relax@Sea said:

When I tried to do a booking thru the CA site it did not look like it was par but then reading further it said only on selected sailings and I got to a area that I can request which sailings are par. So there might be a sailing at par but either you have to compare all of them or maybe you can request that they send you the sailings that are at par.

There are some cruises that say they are CAP but b/c they're almost sold out or are selling well, whatever the reason, the CAP is a bit of a joke.  When you go to book it shows the CAP as being about $6 less than the USD fare so it appears that NCL is not offering that promo on that particular cruise.  It's just something you have to be aware of and keep checking different cruises.  There are some that give good value for Canadians, no one said they have to anything like this but they do offer the discount on some cruises and I for one applaud them for doing so.  

So here's two Canadian cents (even though we stopped using pennies years ago) on this topic. I believe the discounted portion is only the pre-taxes and fees stateroom cost (the taxes and fees portion doesn't receive the exchange rate discount). You also cannot use CAP on a sailaway fare nor do CAP bookings combinable with Free at Sea offers.

To me the pricing looks a lot like if you simply bought a sailaway fare in USD and paid the exchange rate.

If you use VPN you can properly compare the same cruise from the US site and the Canadian site. When you use the Canadian site you get all prices converted to Canadian dollars and so don't actually know the US pricing.