How do you know what dock you will be at?

getaway101

I know I have seen this on the boards somewhere but can't seem to find it. Does anyone have the link to where the cruise ships are docking? It's a link you go to that tells you where you are docking (if the port has more than one dock) and how many other ships will be there that day.

Wow Tom, that was really fast. Thanks!

Unfortunately it didn't answer my question. The last 2 times we were at St Thomas we docked at Crown Point and I know that the dock downtown holds 3 ships, and there are going to be 3 ships there that day (including the one I'll be on). So am I to assume we will dock downtown or will we be stuck out at Crown Point again.

Does anyone know how I can find out this info?

It could have to do with the depth of the water as well as the number of ships in port. Larger ships need deeper ports. Sometimes it's just the luck of the draw-first line to reserve the pier gets it and so on. Sometimes a ship is scheduled to dock at a certain pier, but another ship needs that particular pier for some reason. usually the size of the ship, and the original ship is directed to a different location. Your cruiseline should know at which pier they're scheduled to dock.

I did not know there was more than one place for cruise ships to dock in St Thomas. I have been there about 10 times on a cruiise ship including the past couple of years and have always docked in the same area that you need to take a cab downtown and that there is a shopping area there along with the cable car that goes up the mountain. If there is a pier downtown for cruise ships it must be brand new because I have never seen it!:cool:

Mark - The other pier is still in the process of being built. Well actually the pier isn't but the area around it is. I think it's called Crown Pronit and the one you are talking about is Turtle Bay (I think). Anyway the Crown Point is a horrible place to dock. You have to take a cab for there is absolutely nothing to do at that dock (yet).

At least the dock you are talking about, you can catch the tram to the top of the mountain and there are some shops to browse.

St. Thomas has some deal with the ships. Just once, I would like to bypass this port of call.

I did not know there was more than one place for cruise ships to dock in St Thomas.

Cruise ships could always dock at multiple places in St. Thomas. As reported in (http://www.*****/general_usvi/cruiseship/cruiseguide_page1.php), On St. Thomas ships most commonly dock at the West Indian Company Dock (WICO) in Havensight. They also dock in Crown Bay and some large ships remain at anchorage in the Charlotte Amalie harbor. Passengers are then tendered into the Waterfront in Charlotte Amalie. On St. Croix ships dock at the Frederiksted Pier. Ships that call on St. John remain at anchorage off the St. John shore; passengers are tendered onto the island.

Does anyone have the link to where the cruise ships are docking?

While I am not aware of a link that would show dock information for every port in the World (although I am aware of a site that shows which cruises stop at every port in the World), for St Thomas in January, go to http://www.ships.vi/stt/jan_2005.htm [Note that there is some uncertainty at this site as to whether this is for 2005 or 2006.]

St Thomas

Havensight can hold 3 ships. Usually Princess, RCI and Celebrity get the first 2 slots. HAL rarely gets one of those - usually the last slot.

They have been working on Crown Bay for a couple of years now to get it to be like Havensight.

Havensight has a lot of shops - most are in town as well. Last time we were there it cost $3.50 per person one way to go from the ship to down town Charlotte Amalie.

And if it is a really busy day, one ship will drop anchor in the bay and people will tender directly to down town Charlotte Amalie.

Archived