Homewood Suites French Quarter

mommyto2girls

Both are good hotels.  The Homewoods Suites is on Ramparts while the Sheraton is on Canal, both  on a main Street Car route.  Both hotels are also only about a 4 or 5 min stroll to Bourbon Street.  That having been said, I would choose the Sheraton, as it is more centrally located to attractions along the riverfront and into the warehouse and garden districts.  Before you go, download the RTA GoMobile app:  http://www.norta.com/Getting-Around/Overview

The Street car system is safe, clean, cheap, and easy to use.  The mobile app shows the position of the next street car and shows where to get on and off.  New Orleans will be the best port on your itinerary so enjoy it.  By the way, if you stay at the Sheraton, try the Commerce restaurant for breakfast or lunch.  It is located about two blocks South of the hotel on the corner of Camp and Gravier.  It's a bit of a dive, but the food is great and most of the tables will be full of cops, construction workers, and local businessmen.  Try the "CBB".

3 hours ago, Visigoth said:

Both are good hotels.  The Homewoods Suites is on Ramparts while the Sheraton is on Canal, both  on a main Street Car route.  Both hotels are also only about a 4 or 5 min stroll to Bourbon Street.  That having been said, I would choose the Sheraton, as it is more centrally located to attractions along the riverfront and into the warehouse and garden districts.  Before you go, download the RTA GoMobile app:  http://www.norta.com/Getting-Around/Overview

The Street car system is safe, clean, cheap, and easy to use.  The mobile app shows the position of the next street car and shows where to get on and off.  New Orleans will be the best port on your itinerary so enjoy it.  By the way, if you stay at the Sheraton, try the Commerce restaurant for breakfast or lunch.  It is located about two blocks South of the hotel on the corner of Camp and Gravier.  It's a bit of a dive, but the food is great and most of the tables will be full of cops, construction workers, and local businessmen.  Try the "CBB".

3 hours ago, Visigoth said:

Thanks the Doubletree sounded brand new and in a good place and the roeice with right with HH Points but we will check out the Sheraton Again 

The Sheraton is probably my favorite of the big hotels in New Orleans. It is very large (and tall), but if you can get a room on the river side, has amazing views of the river (and the cruise ships!). Even though it is big, it has a New Orleans charm that I find lacking at the Hilton Riverfront or the Marriott. I also agree that it is centrally convenient, with a cross the street walk to Royal Street (my favorite street it the FQ for live music and art galleries). 

The Homewood Suites is newer, a few blocks north of the main part of the FQ. It also has breakfast included, which is something the Sheraton does not. 

That said, if the price is right, I will almost always choose the Sheraton over its competitors, as I love those views!

dctravel