Drink Package on RCCL

MaiTaiMary

14 minutes ago, George C said:

When we did navigator exactly a year ago , every bartender poured doubles at least the six or so we visited on a regular basis, I did not even ask them , I told them I wanted two drinks and put them in same glass and gave him two cards, he told me you do not need two cards for double. Vintage has many over limit and most specialty also do, we rarely eat in mdr.

I used to get doubles, too.  On Allure last month I had 3 bartenders tell me they couldn't.  It could be strict management this time around?  Maybe a crew meeting, who knows.  But there was definitely a vibe like something had changed and they were apologetic about it.  These were bartenders I tipped well for every drink, too.

16 minutes ago, smplybcause said:

Have you been able to do the milkshakes at JR on Oasis?? I saw people on Allure say it was no problem, but saw an Oasis review a while back that said they could only get the included milkshakes if they ate at JR too. Really hoping I can pop in for just a milkshake when I want.

Now I'm curious.  Did they quietly get rid of this perk?  If I look up the Deluxe Package on Royals site, I don't see Johnny Rockets listed anymore.  So it's very possible this is not a perk anymore.  But last month on Allure we had several, all included with the package.  What a shame if they got rid of that.  Might be worth a new thread to discuss it.

You may be able to complain.  Say it clearly said it on the site when you booked the package.

Edited by BNBR

4 minutes ago, BNBR said:

I used to get doubles, too.  On Allure last month I had 3 bartenders tell me they couldn't.  It could be strict management this time around?  Maybe a crew meeting, who knows.  But there was definitely a vibe like something had changed and they were apologetic about it.  These were bartenders I tipped well for every drink, too.

We all know how consistent rccl is 😁😁, I will see if doubles are offered on oasis in   12 days. 

I have had the drink package on Celebrity, RCCL and Norwegian and thought the Celebrity and RCCL were similar. The biggest difference with NCL, where just about everyone had the package, was that most specialty mixed drinks (especially the frozen drinks and martinis) are premixed and frankly they were terrible. I also found it a bit harder to get premium level drinks even if I was willing to pay the difference. Also found that NCL was charging higher prices for some premium liquor that was included in the other packages even though they all had the same max.

8 hours ago, spookwife said:

the upper limit is either $12 or 13 depending on ship and any drink that costs  more than that you pay the difference.

one drink per sign and sail card at a time.  there are reports of some bartenders  letting you have a bottle of water at the same time you  get an alcoholic beverage.  things like a shot followed immediately by a beer or whatever will depend on the bartender as well.  but if you are roaming and not actually sitting at the bar, don't expect to get lucky.  

they do keep track of  how often you are getting drinks and if it looks like you are sharing, you will be cut off.   and of course you will be cut off if they determine you have had too much.  

intelligent drinkers pace themselves and alternate with water anyway.  

Never had a problem with getting bottled water with a drink.

SO there is a $12 limit. And you don't sing a receipt every time? Just did drink package on CCL and hated that receipt because we felt the need to put $1 on the tip line. I'd rather not get a receipt and just find a fave bartender to use most of the cruise and then give him a nice one time tip. Also, CCL charged taxes while in American ports. RCI does not...even my cruise that stops in Charleston, PC and Miami?

I've done two cruises on RCCL this year, one on Harmony, the other on Radiance, both with the Deluxe Package.  I never had a problem getting either bottled water or a club soda with lime with whatever cocktail or wine I ordered.  I never tried to order a double because I was usually drinking an Aperol Spritz or a Capirhinia or something else that works best if it's not imbalanced.  But, the bartender makes a difference and we had fabulous ones on both ships.  On Radiance the head bartender at the Schooner bar remembered what I was drinking and always made the effort to have everything needed for it available (I like grapefruit juice in my Aperol Spritz's).

Occasionally a bartender would print out a receipt, but that usually didn't happen after the first time at the bar, unless I ordered a glass of wine over the $12 limit.  I didn't know about the milkshakes at Johnny Rockets being included so missed out on that.  Drat.  But I did take advantage of the smoothies in the spa cafe on HotS.

And, I never had an issue with pretty much all the top shelf liquors being within the package limit.  We even did a Whiskey tasting and the Johnny Walker blue was only $8 extra.  So, to me, the package is a great deal, especially if you buy it during one of the sales (like the one coming up on Black Friday).

1 hour ago, jg2256 said:

I have had the drink package on Celebrity, RCCL and Norwegian and thought the Celebrity and RCCL were similar. The biggest difference with NCL, where just about everyone had the package, was that most specialty mixed drinks (especially the frozen drinks and martinis) are premixed and frankly they were terrible. I also found it a bit harder to get premium level drinks even if I was willing to pay the difference. Also found that NCL was charging higher prices for some premium liquor that was included in the other packages even though they all had the same max.

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't NCL add the gratuity for each drink you order, while on the RCCL, Celebrity and Princess the gratuity is paid up front when you purchase the package? I believe this is one of the peeves my son had about NCL.

Edited by Iamcruzin

3 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't NCL add the gratuity for each drink you order, while on the RCCL, Celebrity and Princess the gratuity is paid up front when you purchase the package? I believe this is one of the peeves my son had about NCL.

No. Whether you choose it as a perk or pay for it outright (if there's any poor fool that does) they charge gratuities then. It's 20% on the now $99 per day price tag. So about $140/person for a 7 day cruise. You'd only pay more if your drink is over $15 with rules the same as Royal (difference plus gratuity).  NCL's is just soda, non-alcoholic cocktails, and alcohol up to $15. No coffee, smoothies, etc. 

One nice thing is if you get a group of 8 cabins/16 people or more one of the perks you can choose is the drink package with gratuities paid. The groups I go with also choose free service charge (the daily fee/gratuity) as the second perk so it's almost $250 free perks. 

1 minute ago, kimberlym4 said:

Wait - are you saying that it's $99/day per person on NCL?  That is double the RCCL price.  Did I misunderstand your post?

It's $99 per day on NCL, that's true. But it's only that price because nobody pays for it. Everyone gets their fake "free at sea" open bar promotion.  And since it's "free", they jacked the price through the roof to make the gratuity higher. 

11 minutes ago, kimberlym4 said:

Ah, I see.  Creative math by the cruise companies.  "free" and "half off" have whole new meanings when you are at sea, I guess. 🙂 

Yup, and more often than not, NCL has higher fares to cover all the free perks, too.  There are exceptions, of course, but there are exceptions on all lines.  Meaning you can find great deals on all of them, but more often than not, NCL is quite a bit more expensive to cover the perks cost.  What you need to do when comparing is get total price for Royal or Carnival, add the drink package, then compare to the NCL price.  But don't be fooled by their fake promos. 

20 minutes ago, BNBR said:

Yup, and more often than not, NCL has higher fares to cover all the free perks, too.  There are exceptions, of course, but there are exceptions on all lines.  Meaning you can find great deals on all of them, but more often than not, NCL is quite a bit more expensive to cover the perks cost.  What you need to do when comparing is get total price for Royal or Carnival, add the drink package, then compare to the NCL price.  But don't be fooled by their fake promos. 

I noticed that when I searched for a cruise out of NY. Royal Caribbean, Celebrity and NCL are about the same price all things being equal with number of days, Itinerary and room category. Royal is a bit more per day because the drink package isn't included.

Edited by Iamcruzin

3 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

I noticed that when I searched for a cruise out of NY. Royal Caribbean, Celebrity and NCL are about the same price all things being equal with number of days, Itinerary and room category. Royal is a bit more per day because the drink package isn't included.

However having just returned last week from an Anthem cruise and an NCL Escape Cruise NCL drink package does not include bottled water or specialty coffees and the most annoying part is you pay tax on all your drinks while in US ports or waters which is just nuts.  Anthem drink package includes everything and no tax.

Edited by truckswain

1 hour ago, truckswain said:

However having just returned last week from an Anthem cruise and an NCL Escape Cruise NCL drink package does not include bottled water or specialty coffees and the most annoying part is you pay tax on all your drinks while in US ports or waters which is just nuts.  Anthem drink package includes everything and no tax.

Celebrity only includes the classic drink package so you have to upgrade if you want the premium package if you want top shelf brands. Depending on what you pay for the drink package on Royal Caribbean will also factor in what the end price will be. Carnival isn't even one of my choices so I can't speak to their pricing.