Music on the TV

ninjatoes

I was able to pair my iPhone to the television via Bluetooth and play music I had downloaded prior to the cruise that way.  This was on the Rotterdam last July-August (Voyage of the Vikings).  Easy to do.

As for music provided onboard, there's classical music on the bow camera channel, and "soft jazz" or some such on the "navigation" channel (I may have that reversed, though).  

Lana in Bellingham, WA

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What a good idea, ArtsyCraftsy, I would not have thought of that. I usually bring a tiny portable speaker, but your idea sounds much better - and with better sound. Thanks. 

Edited by CMDE

2 hours ago, ArtsyCraftsy said:

I was able to pair my iPhone to the television via Bluetooth and play music I had downloaded prior to the cruise that way.  This was on the Rotterdam last July-August (Voyage of the Vikings).  Easy to do.

As for music provided onboard, there's classical music on the bow camera channel, and "soft jazz" or some such on the "navigation" channel (I may have that reversed, though).  

Lana in Bellingham, WA

Sounds like it's fairly limited, which is a bummer. I use streaming services for most of my listening, and was hoping to avoid populating a device with downloads. Oh well. 

Thanks for the tip on the Bluetooth usage. I'll have to give it a try.

On the ships that have the 50" flat screen TV's that are interactive, it is very difficult to access any of the jacks on the rear of the TV.   The new TV's are connected to the ship's servers by ethernet not coaxial cable.   There are external jacks on the rear of the TV, but because they are mounted so close to the wall, it is very tough to get your hand behind the TV to plug in any external cables.  Also the remote controls HAL provides do not allow switching of the TV's inputs.   The only way to do that is to bring a universal remote, and program it to the type of TV installed.   

The old small flat screen TV's on the smaller ships were strictly analog inputs, and the remotes allowed input switching.

I have no interest or experience with Bluetooth or whatever--and won't be doing so--, but the interactive TV on Nieuw Amsterdam provided a wealth of entertainment options and the audio was perfectly fine for my senior citizen's ears.

I would expect such an experience on the Pinnacle Class ships as well as any of the other HAL ships that are so equipped.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

On the ships that have the interactive TV's, there is a very much expanded selection of programs and that includes music channels as well.

I wonder if that's the case with Eurodam. I know it has nice big TVs now, so presumably they're the interactive ones. I hope so anyway...

1 hour ago, cb at sea said:

Remember, the music is coming from the TV speakers....tinny and thin.

Good point, although some nicer TVs are decent enough for casual listening. Still, it's probably a smart idea to bring a Bluetooth speaker with me. I don't want to get there and find out that I'm stuck with only the speaker on my device.

20 hours ago, ninjatoes said:

I wonder if that's the case with Eurodam. I know it has nice big TVs now, so presumably they're the interactive ones. I hope so anyway...

I have friends who had a standard veranda stateroom on the Eurodam on her final Alaska cruise of the season followed by her cruise to Hawaii.  Their stateroom had the interactive TV with many entertainment options.  Their description matched what I have experienced on the Nieuw Amsterdam.

• Thanks 1