Oosterdam

djhsolara

How is the Oosterdam? I believe there was a dry dock last year. I know it is a different class of ship, but is she similar to Nieuw Amsterdam now with the recent updates? Is it true that she also has a Retreat?

We are currently booked for NS, but weren’t 100% thrilled with K-dam, so we’re considering switching to Oosterdam or NA. We love NA but are thinking Oosterdam would give us a new experience. It is significantly less $$. Are the prices less because it is a lesser experience?  I’ve read some things about old furniture, etc in public areas, but I’m hoping that is no longer since the dry dock. 

Are there current photos out there?

Thank you!!

WE WERE ON NA TWICE THIS YEAR AND LOVED IT GREAT ALL AROUND, ALSO WERE BOOKED ON NS FOR NEW YEARS  BUT SAW A CHANCE FOR NS ON OOSTERDAM AND WE GIVING HER A TRY....WE LIKE HAL'S SMALL SHIP SIZE FIGUERED WAIT TO SEE WHAT THE FOLKS SAY ABOUT THE TWO BIGGER SISTER SHIPS....IMO BIGGER DOES NOT MAKE IT BETTER

GOOD LUCK WITH CHOICE

We were on the O after the suites and entertainment venues were first updated to reflect newer décor and Music Walk.  Maybe we aren't that observant, but we didn't notice the "wear and tear" others have mentioned.  We found the ship to be fine, enjoyed that cruise very much, and appreciated the warm and welcoming crew.  Of course, I view that cruise as probably one of the most special DH and I shared because it was our last cruise together and our 1st time in a Neptune Suite.  He died 4 months later of a massive stroke (due to brain cancer), and sadly in those few weeks after the stroke, he couldn't recall ever having taken the cruise.  Therefore, I hold those memories for both of us, and they are all the more precious for that reason.

If you're second-guessing making a reservation for NS, maybe she isn't the ship for you at this time.  You have to book the ship you feel good about; otherwise, you'll be questioning your decision even into the cruise, which sometimes doesn't contribute positively to your enjoyment.  Best wishes for making a decision that satisfies you.

We just returned from 26 days on the Oosterdam. I am writing about this cruise in a different thread. The short version is the staff and ship were generally great. The crew seemed like a happy crew. The ship looked good and crew were always cleaning something. The food was really good-I was surprised, pleasantly. We had room service a lot, and during the first three weeks of the cruise which were very port intensive we often just grabbed something from the Lido.

The Canaletto was very good-we ate there twice. The Pinnacle was hit or miss. Many people were complaining about it, for three main reasons: 1) extremely slow service; 2) inability to cook a steak to order; 3) lack of organization

There was a sewer smell by Billboard, it seemed to dissipate somewhat towards the end of the cruise.

I would definitely sail on the Oosterdam again.