MSC USA website

Annbel1511

27 minutes ago, SirWolf said:

@Até , the cabin selection on the MSC USA website is still not working for the cruise in March 2020. The website of MSC UK is working fine...  I called MSC USA today to book a YC cabin on deck 16 but was told by the rep that deck 16 and 18 are "shut down" for booking. He can offer cabins on deck 14 and 15. As per yesterday night only 4 cabins on deck 16 and 3 cabins on deck 18 were booked, all other cabins were still available, as per US website. Today nobody can book deck 16 and 18 , decks are not shown on UK website. What is going on ?  Why did they "shut down" the booking of two YC decks ?  Has anybody else experienced an issue with this cruise ?  MSC Grand Voyage, 21 March 2020, from Dubai, MSC Bellissima, Yacht Club. Thank you.

The worst reason I could think of would be that MSC often controls the booking capacity by region.  I was trying to book a specific Fantastica cabin that showed, well it didn't even show up on the booking diagrams.  Luckily I was able to get my favorite PCV to nab it for me.  I'm sure there are limitations to what they can do though.  All I can suggest is keep trying, their website/systems are full of glitches, especially this far out.  So hopefully that is the reason for your troubles.  Nice cruise at a reasonable price by the way.

1 hour ago, Até said:

Nice cruise at a reasonable price by the way.

@Até , one can almost think that MSC is implementing price categories within the YC Experience. Start selling YC deck 14 and 15 for a reasonable price (“early booking” price called on MSC Germany website) and increase the price of cabins on deck 16 and 18 once the two lower decks are sold. That is kind of what airlines do with seats/categories. The MSC rep told me that he can see only the same cabins available like on the public MSC UK website. I still hope that it is only a website glitch. Até, thank you for your input, I appreciate your knowledge and opinion.

That is a very interesting perspective and could explain your case as well as my recent 2020 booking.  I haven't noticed that as a possible strategy so far.  Several months ago I did an very early MV booking and chose a deck 14 YC interior, even as all decks/cabins were available at that time, over other decks because I preferred it's location, so good for me (ETA: well, maybe your scenario would have been better).  Please update us with what happens.

Edited by Até

11 minutes ago, Markanddonna said:

I'm not familiar with your specific cruise, but is the reason because they "start" a cruise at various ports?  Maybe it will work if you attempt to book it from a different port.  The MSC website can be so wonky!

Thank you, it is a repositioning cruise from Dubai to Yokohama with no embark/disembark ports in the itinerary. I checked this morning and on none of the websites (USA, UK, Germany, Australia) the cabin selection works. I need to call MSC USA again to inquire deck 16 or 18. I am still hopefull that everything will be good.

• 2 months later...
On 11/19/2018 at 3:03 PM, Annbel1511 said:

Thanks Até but even when using a VPN it doesn't work.

Hi Annbel my apologies for reviving an old thread of yours but I was wondering, did you make the initial booking from the US Website or the local one? I would like to book a cruise with MSC US as their rates are A LOT better than the ones in the UK but I am afraid they might stop me from boarding or such. You had yours a few months ago if I understood it correctly and if booked from the US any advice either here or in private would be really appreciated, thank you 🙂

16 minutes ago, Annbel1511 said:

Hi Violet,

I made the booking through a US travel agent, directely on their website. The price difference was very important : almost dubble the price when booking via MSC Europe. I had no problem boarding.

Hope this helps

Thank you so much Annbel, it does help 🙂 

Edited by Violet87

50 minutes ago, Annbel1511 said:

Hi Violet,

I made the booking through a US travel agent, directely on their website. The price difference was very important : almost dubble the price when booking via MSC Europe. I had no problem boarding.

Hope this helps

Don't Europeans get a lot of extras like drinks, insurance, tips etc included with your price? 

2 minutes ago, SeaTheW0rld said:

Don't Europeans get a lot of extras like drinks, insurance, tips etc included with your price? 

No, they don't.  Sometimes there's a drinks package included, but it's certainly factored into the price.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

No, they don't.  Sometimes there's a drinks package included, but it's certainly factored into the price.

I asked because a drinks package would have almost doubled the cost of my cruise.  Granted, I got an incredible bargain. Even the non-alcoholic package is more than half of the cruise portion. 

Just now, SeaTheW0rld said:

Yacht Club.  It's their ship-within-a-ship experience. Top tier.

Oh I see, sorry this would be my first cruise ever I don't have a clear idea of the experiences. I think I am going to go with a Balcony one that faces the sea hopefully.

5 minutes ago, Violet87 said:

Oh I see, sorry this would be my first cruise ever I don't have a clear idea of the experiences. I think I am going to go with a Balcony one that faces the sea hopefully.

No problem.  Ask away.  There are no stupid questions. 

2 minutes ago, SeaTheW0rld said:

No problem.  Ask away.  There are no stupid questions. 

Thank you, you are all being super nice and I'm glad I found this website (funnily enough through a Youtube video I have watched yesterday :classic_cool:)

I am looking at the map for the cabins and I am getting so confused. How can one tell which deck is the best? I am booking on a MSC Seaside and there is just so many options awwwww. 

Also, how much is normally the gratuity and services charges per night? I am trying to make up a wholesome estimate of the journey 🙂 

2 minutes ago, Violet87 said:

Thank you, you are all being super nice and I'm glad I found this website (funnily enough through a Youtube video I have watched yesterday :classic_cool:)

I am looking at the map for the cabins and I am getting so confused. How can one tell which deck is the best? I am booking on a MSC Seaside and there is just so many options awwwww. 

Also, how much is normally the gratuity and services charges per night? I am trying to make up a wholesome estimate of the journey 🙂 

"best cabin" is subjective.

Number one priority:  Always look for what's above and below your cabin.  I prefer only cabins between cabins.

Do you get seasick?  Pick a cabin in the middle of the ship, as low as possible. The further away you get from that the more you will feel the movement (think teeter-totter). 

Anything else is subjective.  I like to be as far from the buffet as possible. 🙊

• Like 1

The daily service charge on Seaside is $12.50 pppn.

There are 3 balcony cabin categories called 'Experiences' (apart from the Yacht Club): Bella, Fantastica and Aurea.  The following will give you an idea of what's included in each level:

https://www.msccruises.ie/en-ie/Cruise-Deals/Our-Fares.aspx

Perceived wisdom is that you choose a cabin that is above and below other cabins, as there may be overhead noise from pool decks/buffet and noise from beneath from bars/lounges/ theatre, etc.

• Like 1

On 2/19/2019 at 5:26 PM, SeaTheW0rld said:

"best cabin" is subjective.

Number one priority:  Always look for what's above and below your cabin.  I prefer only cabins between cabins.

Do you get seasick?  Pick a cabin in the middle of the ship, as low as possible. The further away you get from that the more you will feel the movement (think teeter-totter). 

Anything else is subjective.  I like to be as far from the buffet as possible. 🙊

I do get seasick in small boats because they are not very stable. This is a great advice thanks I will make sure to pick a cabin that is as low as possible and between other cabins. 

On 2/19/2019 at 5:33 PM, Beamafar said:

The daily service charge on Seaside is $12.50 pppn.

There are 3 balcony cabin categories called 'Experiences' (apart from the Yacht Club): Bella, Fantastica and Aurea.  The following will give you an idea of what's included in each level:

https://www.msccruises.ie/en-ie/Cruise-Deals/Our-Fares.aspx

Perceived wisdom is that you choose a cabin that is above and below other cabins, as there may be overhead noise from pool decks/buffet and noise from beneath from bars/lounges/ theatre, etc.

Thank you, I was wondering what Bella, Fantastica etc were all about.

16 minutes ago, Violet87 said:

I am sorry for all these questions. How big are the balcony in the rooms really? I don't know if its worth getting it other than the ocean view and what does it mean when the balcony is half glass and half metal?

I've taken 28  night cruises in a small inside cabin. I usually cruise solo so I need to watch costs.  Yes, a balcony is better on SOME itineraries.  But I generally view the cabin as a closet with a bed and shower.  If I'm looking for luxurious accommodations, I would be looking at a land-based option.